The Nintendo blog WiiNintendo had a ‘Behind closed doors’ interview with Takashi Iizuka at E3 and have spilled some of their rather interesting beans.
Some of the most interesting news being the length of the game, (20 hours), The writers are American and the game is roughly 50% 2D and 50% 3D.
Here is the jist of what they found out in their behind the scenes interview,
- Follows Sonic Unleashed.
- Gains color-associated powers (Wisps).
- Sonic is the only playable character.
- Eggman puts a theme park in space, which is where the game’s levels are located. It includes 7 planets, 1 satellite, and Eggman’s ship.
- The writers are American.
- Act 1 takes place in a tropical resort and starts off in 3D.
- The game will have the same moveset as Unleashed.
- The boost gage will be filled from Wisps, not rings.
- To activate the purple powered Wisp, you will shake the Wii Remote.
- There is a maximum of 99 rings you can collect at one time (noticed as Iizuka played).
- You will unlock more Wisp powers as you progress.
- The music is bright and colorful, unlike other 3D Sonic games, and closer to 2D Sonics.
- Each color power allows you to reach other areas from previous levels, increasing the replayability.
- The second stage in Act 1 is Sweet Mountain.
- 20+ hours of gameplay.
- 6+ Wisp color powers.
- Tails and Eggman seen, but not playable.
- Roughly 50/50 on 2D and 3D gameplay.
- Similar to Sonic Rush gameplay and style.
- Some Wisp color powers overlap from Wii version, but not all; some are DS-exclusive.
- Knuckles and Amy seen, but not playable.
- Holiday 2010 release for both games.
- When asked why the developers picked Wii and DS, they answered: “Sonic is most successful on Nintendo platforms, and it is better for the developers to focus on one console. That makes for a better game.”