It seems that the era of Phantasy Star Universe is coming to a close. Today Sega have announced that the Japanese Playstation 2 PSU servers will be shut down, leaving only the PC version still up and running.
However it’s not all doom and gloom; with the closing of the PS2 servers, the PC version of PSU is getting a substantial update introducing new areas, photon arts, items, special abilities and more. All are based on Phantasy Star Portable 2 or Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity.
With Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity doing well in the Japanese charts (well deserved) and the much anticipated Phantasy Star Online 2 on its way the Phantasy Star series looks set to continue for many years to come.
Hit the jump to see an early rundown of the new content coming to PSU-PC soon.
* New fields to be added include a space colony (Clad 6), the beach, a seabed plant (subspace labs), the seabed RELICS, a castle (Ohtori Castle), a snowy mountain (Mt. El-Bars), a jungle (Crodog Jungle) and the Crowley (from Infinity).
New PAs and SUV weapons
* Many new photon arts and SUV weapons will be added.
* Images show Blade Destruction, Sazonde and Dus Skadd.
* New SUVs shown include Big Impact, Flame Panzer and Air Ride Cluster (or possibly the higher grade versions of those).
* Some of the new weapons which will be added include Axion (saber), Steel Hearts (sword), Diopside (wand), Biwa-hoshi (rod), Double Strong Cannon (twin handgun) and red Scorpio (laser cannon).
* Some of the new clothes and parts to be added include Angel Perfume (female clothes), Punishment Jacket (male clothes), Kamui-fubi (male clothes), Bil De Bones (male clothes), Boa Bowar (female clothes), Justice Armor (male parts) and Eternal Form (female parts).
* Monster interference with player movements will be improved. (Hopefully no more spazzing out and getting stuck in Svaltus legs!)
* Many new missions will be added!
* Humans and newmans will be getting…! (Mirage blast hint!)
* Plenty of other additions are planned, so stay tuned!