The guy behind the “shrill” NPC voice in Shenmue II explains how it came to be

The Shenmue series may be known as a pioneer in a lot of ways…none of those ways includes the quality of its English dub. Shenmue Dojo yesterday posted a story from a voice actor who did some NPC voices from Shenmue II. Not a whole lot about the process we hadn’t heard from Jeremy Blaustein’s revealing interview a while back, but I still got a few chuckles out of this.

The actor, who asked to be anonymous (though Shenmue Dojo attests to his legitimacy), explained to his agent that he was not capable of altering his voice convincingly, but he was then asked to do just that when he showed up for the Shenmue II recording session.

For the next role, I was asked to do the voice of an old man.
My agent, who was in the control room, did not say anything at all. In fact, I saw the agent ducking out of my line of sight. Nothing from the agent about the fact that I had accepted the job on the condition that I not have to alter my voice. Because my voice characterizations are not good and game players will notice the poor quality. And no clearheaded game producer wants to put bad voices on their project. Right?

Once again, I was on the spot. Well, it’s their game, I figured. One standard elderly-man voice coming up.

My favorite part of this story would have to be when this actor reveals that he was also the one responsible for that quirky NPC with the high-pitched voice, and I actually have a feeling that I know which voice it was.

One of the characters was described to me as an especially weird fellow and they needed an appropriately weird voice. They played some scenes on the monitor. They gave me a moment to think of a voice style.

They didn’t like my first attempt and neither did I.

They loved it.

I had a created a voice that sounds like a cross between Clint Eastwood and Richard Simmons.

As I was recording, I remember thinking to myself “This character voice is terrible. If I were playing this game and heard this voice, I’d turn off the sound.”

He also discusses how he and a couple other actors improvised the background chatter of the Heavens gang, the small studio in which the recording was done, and his declaration that he will never accept video game voicework again. Pretty entertaining.

[Source: Shenmuedojo]

Ad:

22 responses to “The guy behind the “shrill” NPC voice in Shenmue II explains how it came to be

1. Having not played much of the XBOX version (I imported the PAL Dreamcast release) I have to request youtube video, I can't remember hearing this voice! But what a sad yet funny story. The Shenmue voice acting stories are always great.

2. -nSega54- says:

lol well that might be difficult, I remember "the voice" but don't remember exactly where the NPC was located or how he looked, sadly.

But I do know that the scene he mentions with he and all the other actors improvising the Heavens' background dialogue on the spot is probably this one:

3. VyseLegend says:

haha, I remember that horrible sounding background chatter. Shenmue is full of funny ass voice acting, I sort of miss it :(. It would be a shame if Shenmue III had some sort of professional caliber VAs.

4. Pao says:

I love the English voice acting of Shenmue 1 & 2, I refused to play the Japanese version, and I don't regret it.

5. -nSega54- says:

I'm mixed on it. I would say for Shenmue III I think my ideal compromise would be to keep the MAIN characters (Ryo, Ren, Shenhua) but improve the quality of the VA of everyone else.

6. Why do you put shrill in quotation marks? Who are you quoting? I didn't see the word anywhere in your story either.

7. -nSega54- says:

"Why do you put shrill in quotation marks? Who are you quoting? I didn’t see the word anywhere in your story either."

Then you didn't look carefully enough :p

"The next attempt was a shrill, scratchy concoction that actually hurt to do. “No way will they want this voice,” I thought. "

Whenever you're describing something using someone else's words, you put the description in quotes. It makes it clear that those are his words, not mine, that are describing his performance.

8. I see it now. Sorry about that. I thought you were usiing it like people misuse air quotes. That's one of my pet peeves, I guess.

Also I do know what quotation marks are.

9. cube_b3 says:

Emett should really be an editor :P.

He keeps us in line and then double checks.

10. -nSega54- says:

hahaha no prob Emmett The Crab. :]

Bad grammar is a pet peeve of mine as well.

11. ImSmartUrDum says:

Regarding your comments in the original topic on sega.com regarding Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid wasn't re-cast on gamecube, it was only re-recorded.

The reason given by the directors was they didn't want the players to feel like they were playing exactly the same game (audio makes up for around 60 to 80% of the emotion we feel when watching a movie or playing a game).

In truth, nobody even wanted to remake Metal Gear Solid, it was one of these things that was forced upon the developers by fat-cat's in suits.

12. -nSega54- says:

hahah those posts were from a loooooooong time ago, I don't even remember 'em. The only reason I linked to it was because for some reason I can't find the original story on Shenmuedojo anymore.

13. Fallout911 says:

I haven't laughed so much in such a long time, thanks for posting this.

14. 日本ロレックス時計コピー品ロレックスレプリカ、日本ロレックス時計のロレックスコピー品ロレックス時計,ロレックスレプリカ,ロレックスコピー,日本ロレックス,ROLEX,ロレックスオーバーホール,ロレックスレプリカ ,ロレックス修理,ロレックスミルガウス,ロレックス中古,ロレックスサブマリーナ,ロレックスデイトナ,ロレックス中古,ロレックスアンティーク,ロレックス買取”弊社はROLEXの商品特に大人気のロレックスデイトナシリーズのロレックス時計の種類を豊富に取り揃えます。日本ロレックス時計とロレックスレプリカのロレックスコピー品の品質よくて、激安税込み価格でご提供します。 http://www.newkakaku.com/lz1.htm

15. 弊社は海外安心と信頼のプラダ 時計 コピーです。2015 新作が満載!皆様を歓迎して当店をご光臨賜ります。ロレックス時計コピー,パネライ時計コピー,ウブロ時計コピー ,ブライトリング時計コピー,IWC時計コピー,フランクミュラー時 計コピー,ショパール時計コピー,フェラーリ時計コピー,グラハム 時計コピー,ハリー ウィンストン時計コピー等。サイトは世界一流ブランド コピー 専門店です。ぜひ一度当店の商品をお試しください。驚きと満足を保証致します。ご利用をお待ちしております。 http://www.msnbrand.com/brand-copy-IP-3.html

16. スーパーコピー、スーパーコピーブランド(N級品)激安通販専門店世界一流ブランドコピー 財布、スーパーコピー 商品、激安ブランドコピー 。 ヴィトンコピー 、 ミョウミョウコピー 、シャネルコピー 、エル メスコピー 品格安通販。商品は全て最高な材料 と優れた技術で造られて、正規と比べて、品質が無差別です!人気ブランド.. http://www.brandiwc.com/brand-62-copy-0.html

17. 日本ロレックス時計コピー品ロレックスレプリカ、日本ロレックス時計のロレックスコピー品ロレックス時計,ロレックスレプリカ,ロレックスコピー,日本ロレックス,ROLEX,ロレックスオーバーホール,ロレックスレプリカ ,ロレックス修理,ロレックスミルガウス,ロレックス中古,ロレックスサブマリーナ,ロレックスデイトナ,ロレックス中古,ロレックスアンティーク,ロレックス買取”弊社はROLEXの商品特に大人気のロレックスデイトナシリーズのロレックス時計の種類を豊富に取り揃えます。日本ロレックス時計とロレックスレプリカのロレックスコピー品の品質よくて、激安税込み価格でご提供します。 http://www.okakaku.com/brand-11-copy-0.html

18. BVLGARI(バッグ?財布?小物)CHLOE(バッグ?財布、小物)偽物ブランド,激安,コピー?ルイヴィトンバッグ,偽物?ルイヴィトン財布,コピーバッグ,ブランドバッグ,偽物バッグ,偽物シャネルバッグ,偽物エルメスバッグ,偽物グッチバッグ,偽物財布,コピー財布,時計の專門店 http://www.msnbrand.com/brand-copy-IP-33.html

19. リミテッドエディション,トゥッティフルッティ,トゥールビヨンソロバットバン,ウブロ ビッグバン トゥールビヨン ソロ バットバン 28800振動 (手巻き),ウブロ ビッグバン トゥールビヨン ソロ バットバン 28800振動 (手巻き), BOX, ビッグバンブラックマジック衝撃のクオーツ式腕時計の開発|エプソン水晶デバイス世界初のクオーツ式腕時計である「クオーツアストロン 35Q」。当時、高精度と小型化の開発競争を制したのが、諏訪湖のほとりに社屋を構えていた諏訪精工舎(現在のセイコーエプソン)である http://www.newkakaku.com/lb5.htm

20. BVLGARI(バッグ?財布?小物)CHLOE(バッグ?財布、小物)偽物ブランド,激安,コピー?ルイヴィトンバッグ,偽物?ルイヴィトン財布,コピーバッグ,ブランドバッグ,偽物バッグ,偽物シャネルバッグ,偽物エルメスバッグ,偽物グッチバッグ,偽物財布,コピー財布,時計の專門店 http://www.ooobrand.com/bags/hermes/index.html

21. ブランド激安市場コピーブランドコピー,スーパーレプリカ,ブランド激安市場 女社長 激安 シャネル 財布(CHANEL),グッチ 財布 (GUCCI) 激安,ヴィトン(lv) 新作 財布 激安 ルイヴィトン財布コピー,新作 ブランブランドを特別価格で提供中!ルイヴィトン財布、ルイヴィトンバッグ、ルイヴィトンベルトブランド激安市場ブランドコピー,大人気のルイヴィトン,スーパーコピー,様々な高品質ーパーコピー時計,ブルイヴィトン コピー ブランドレプリカ 激安 ブランド激安市場 ロレックス コピー スーパーコピー ルイヴィトン、シャネル、グッチ、エルメス、クロエ、ブラダ、ブルガリ ドルチェ&ガッバ―ナ、バレンシアガ、ボッテガ.ヴェネタ偽物ロレックス、ブルガリ、フランク ミュラー、シャネル、カルティエ、オメガ、IWC、ルイヴィトン、オーデマ ピゲ、ブライトリング、 http://www.ooobrand.com/bags/prada/index.html

22. 【新品】バッグ、財布、靴、帽子、アパレル、ベルト、その他小物 シャネル グッチ エルメス ロレックス ROLEX VUITTON CHANEL GUCCI HERMES ROLEX S級 VUITTON S級 CHANEL S GUCCI S級 HERMES S級 ROLEX AAA級 VUITTON AAA級 CHANEL AAA級 GUCCI AAA級 HERMES AAA級品 N級品ルイ ヴィトンS級品 シャネルS級品 グッチS級品 エルメスS級品 ロレックスS級品 ルイ ヴィトンAAA級品 シャネルAAA級品 グッチAAA級品 エルメスAAA級品 ロレックスAAA級品 ブランド バッグ 激安!! ブランド 財布 激安!! ブランド品を激安価格にて販売しております。 S級品 ブランド激安!! ブランド S級品激安!! AAA級 ブランド 激安!! ブランド 腕時計 激安!! S級品ブランド バッグ 激安!! S級品ブランド 財布 激安!! ルイヴィトンを激安で購入する方法 VUITTON財布を激安販売。 VUITTONバッグ 激安販売。 ヴィトン財布激安 S級ルイヴィトン財布 S級品ルイヴィトンバッグ ルイヴィトンバッグ激安!! ルイヴィトン財布激安!! ROLEX 腕時計激安!! CHANEL財布激安!! CHANELバッグ激安!! S級品 腕時計(Rolex)激安!! S級品 ブランド 腕時計 S級品ブランド 激安!! S級品ブランド 激安!!■スタイルが多い、品質がよい、価格が低い!■ 送料無料(日本全国) ご注文を期待しています!■信用第一、良い品質、低価格は■当社の商品は絶対の自信が御座います。激安、安心、安全にお届けします.品数豊富な商商品数も大幅に増え、品質も大自信です100%品質保証!満足保障!リピーター率100%! http://www.msnbrand.com/brand-copy-IP-12.html