[HD vs. Saturn mode]
SEGA was under the lens when the first screens of Guardian Heroes came out: the ones that used that ugly filter. SEGA has been saying that the game was ‘re-mastered’ for HD consoles. Putting a filter on graphics isn’t re-mastered… but did they do this? SEGA has listed what has changed, been re-done and has stayed the same.
- Characters – upgraded to HD quality
- Visual Effects – newly created in HD
- Fonts – newly created in HD
- Gauges – newly created in HD
- Close-ups of Characters (in the character select screen) – newly created in HD
Same as Saturn:
- Story mode
- Voices – some are from the Saturn version, some are newly created
- Arcade mode – paths are the same as the Saturn version, but AI’s are new
- Versus mode – improved from Saturn version with additional rules and a more polished game balance)
- Extra modes – newly created for XBLA version
Saturn Mode: All visuals are the same as the Saturn version except for the font and screen aspect ratio
And in the end the game will still be fun, so who cares what the graphics will look like? The Saturn version will cost you well over $30 dollars to buy, and won’t offer online modes. So for $10 dollars it’s a steal. I’ll be playing it in Saturn mode, thank you very much.
That being said, HD screens look pretty ugly but when you see it in motion it looks nice. But I’m a retro kind of guy.