This week saw the release of several new games in Japan, with SEGA’s Binary Domain likely being the main point of interest for anyone reading this website. As reported by Eurogamer with charts from NeoGAF, Nagoshi’s cover shooter debuted at #2, selling around 73,683 copies on the PS3, with the Xbox 360 version evidently not making the top 20.
It was a stronger Japanese debut than SEGA’s previous third person shooter, Vanquish, and a solid start for a new IP in that territory, though Binary Domain isn’t likely to become the next Yakuza over there at this rate. New Love Plus from Konami took the #1 spot with 104,969 while Square-Enix’s rhythm-based Final Fantasy spinoff settled for 3rd with 67,206.
Full chart after the break.
- New Love Plus (Konami, 3DS) – 104,969 NEW
- Binary Domain (Sega, PS3) – 73,683 NEW
- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix, 3DS) – 67,206 NEW
- Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 3DS) – 22,015 (Life to date: 1,506,522)
- Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 3DS) – 17,791 (1,348,776)
- Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom, 3DS) – 17,490 (1,249.833)
- Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special (Koei Tecmo, PSP) – 17,125 NEW
- Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom, 3DS) – 15,666 (231,907)
- Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki (Konami, PSP) – 13,695 (75,479)
- Gravity Rush (Sony Computer Entertainment, Vita) – 10,219 (53,680)
- Tekken 3D: Prime Edition (Bandai Namco Games, 3DS) – 9421 NEW
- Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shiboudesu (Chunsoft, 3DS) – 9307 NEW
- Gran Turismo 5 Spec II (Sony Computer Entertainment, PS3) – 8169 (42,198)
- Just Dance Wii (Nintendo, Wii) – 7643 (542,589)
- Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shiboudesu (Chunsoft, Vita) – 6538 NEW
- Armored Core V (From Software, PS3) – 6430 (212,784)
- Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark (Level 5, 3DS) – 6268 (393,130)
- Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) (Capcom, PSP) – 5223 (197,031)
- Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus (Nintendo, Wii) – 5135 (873,120)
- Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo, 3DS) – 4839 (501,169)
- 3DS: 94,667 (Last week: 67,558)
- PlayStation 3: 21,993 (22,002)
- PSP: 14,824 (15,860)
- Vita: 12,309 (13,939)
- Wii: 7874 (8206)
- DS: 1557 (1608)
- PlayStation 2: 1433 (1239)
- Xbox 360: 983 (1139)
9 responses to “Binary Domain debuts at #2 in Japan”
Fuck yeah. This may spread rather quick if the game is really that good
I tried the demo on Xbox Live, and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed. The cover system doesn’t work too well, the voice commands almost never work, and the ally AI spends more time saying one liners than attacking.
I was always skeptical of this game from the first trailers, contrary to most users on this site, and unfortunately the game hasn’t pleasantly surprised me.
I’ve been skeptical from the start and I thought the demo was…..okay. I wouldn’t say it’s the next Vanquish but the game seems fun.
I was impressed by the demo. Quick list of improvements to Gears:
1. Voice (or Button) command your squad
2. Good Squad AI, Excellent Enemy AI
3. Destructible Environment to a degree.
4. Upgrade Weapons
5.Good cover system. The reason why I think people are getting frustrated by it is that you must hold the left-stick in the direction you want to cover before pressing the cover button. It wont work if you are just up against the wall and I’m sure people are expecting it to work that way.
I will say this, gears has way better melee mechanics though. Still, this game will be a “day 1” buy.
The Binary Domain demo is probably one of my most played demo for a shooter actually. Cannot say I was surprised, I was expecting a great game after playing the demo at Eurogamer.
If the quality is consistent from what I have played and the story holds up, can see this topping quite a few games this generation, I know a few who have told me it’s their favourite third person so I hope it does not disappoint when it arrives on Friday.
i enjoyed the demo be picking it up friday cause i know the story gonna be great
love the yakuza team
The demo was really hard. The sniper lady, you tell her to shoot and she says “later.” What??? It’s so easy to get surrounded all the time. You think you’re behind cover and you’re really getting shot up and you don’t realize it.
Guys, let’s remember that BD is the only non DS/PSP game in the top 10! That’s an accomplishment in itself!
At first moment when instaled game and started play i didint liked it. i dont like shooting action games… but this one is good it heve nice story line and after first chapter i got addicted xD i liked end 🙂 BD is rly good game and i think evrybody should try it