Sakura Wars fans and Dreamcast gamers rejoice as the english fan translation patch for Sakura Wars: Columns 2 launches today! This fan translation of the puzzle game spin-off sequel features every mode, menus, and VMU images translated to english for players to experience one of the few spin-off games of an iconic franchise in english for the first time. The translation team even worked hard on a english cover art and disc of the game for those who are interested in customizing their own Dreamcast cases.
Originally titled Hanagumi Columns 2 in Japan, this title takes place during the events of Sakura Wars 2: Thou Shalt Not Die where the members of the Imperial Assault Force – Flower Division must compete with each other to be casted the main role of Shonen Red through a game of Columns.
The patch for Sakura Wars: Columns can be downloaded through here with instructions attached to the link. For more information on patch notes for the latest version game and VMU images, hit the jump to check them out. For in game screenshots, you can check them out on the previous article.
- All “Story” mode scripts have been fully translated from Japanese to
English, including LIPS responses and title screens.
- The introduction text for “Shonen Red” and “Director!” modes has been
translated from Japanese to English.
- Whenever spoken Japanese dialog occurs, the image displayed will contain
subtitles or manga-style speech bubbles in English.
- All character profile images has had the English name added.
- All images containing Japanese text that appear in the ending sequences
for “Shonen Red” and “Director!” modes have been translated into English.
- All rank-up messages and puzzle description text has been translated from
Japanese to English in both “Puzzle Variety” modes (“Puzzle Challenges”
and “Load Puzzle From VMU” options).
- All combat style icons (e.g. Fire, Shadow, Thunder, Wind, etc.) have been
translated from Japanese to English with brand new icons created just for
- All text and images containing Japanese has been translated to English for
everything seen during puzzle matches, such as character status messages,
challenge messages, attack options, and more.
- The ending credits seen after beating “Story” mode with a character have
been translated from Japanese to English and also include the names and
roles of the translation patch team.
- All VMU icons have been translated from Japanese to English, including the
- Save games will be stored on the VMU with English labels and descriptions,
which are visible from the Dreamcast’s VMU manager. Note that this is
also true of the bundled DLC.
- The main logo appearing on the title screen has been redone in English.
- All menus have been translated from Japanese to English, including the VMU
save manager, the main menus, the options menu, and the in-game menus.
- The built-in web browser now points to a custom English landing page that
contains links to the DLC and fully complete/unlocked save.
- The “Extras” section content has been fully translated from Japanese to
3 responses to “Sakura Wars: Columns 2 English Fan Translation Patch now available to download”
Sad that, modders have done more for the 25 th Sakura Wars Anniversary than the Sega itself.
Love how this has been made as an ad for another new Dreamcast release.
Very cool in going the extra mile there in actually localising an official spin off, it’s not usual is it they would do that rather than just the mainline series installments like Sakura Wars 3 and Sakura Wars 4 on the Dreamcast (if they have been localised yet), I’m sure there was also a Dreamcast re-release of the first two Saturn titles in the series – Sakura Wars 1 & 2 also, I think I remember they just done the Saturn one and localised it last year.