Author Topic: American Segabits! I have a question about kids speech  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
American Segabits! I have a question about kids speech
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:40:16 pm »
Okay so, I'm not sure how to explain this exactly, but here goes.

There is a type of 'speech' I hear every so often ONLY in American kids, I can't tell if it is an accent or a lisp or what... It's only noticeable with certain words and it sounds really cute.

You can hear this speech on this kids react video in two kids, a boy and a girl which I have posted below.
The boy Lucas. For example when he says 'There' it sounds like 'TheOR' and 'Here' is 'HeOR'

It's just really unusual and we don't have this in the UK at all, what is it?

http://youtu.be/vfxRfkZdiAQ
Made by SEGA

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: American Segabits! I have a question about kids speech
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:38:44 pm »
The hard "R" sound is more heavily emphasized in American English isn't it, outside the Northeast? Particularly at the end of words and after the letter "e"?

The kids are still learning how to speak, and overemphasize some things. Making a hard R after a consonant e that isn't an "er" (as in butter) might be tricky. I know what you're talking about, but I didn't know it was unique to American kids.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:58:09 am »
I don't know what it is, but since moving to Canada, the only accent that annoys me is little kids with North American accents. I don't know why, but it sounds so grating and annoying.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:54:05 am »
I know what you're talking about, but I didn't know it was unique to American kids.

I hear it quite often in young American kids, but never anywhere else. I think you might be right about them not having a grasp on now to speak properly yet, but it's such an unusual sound to me haha.
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:02:58 pm »
I thought it was just 80s valley talk from California where everything ends with a question mark, hench the emphasis of the last word/letters of the sentence. Probably evolved since then from when i was younger..

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 12:07:14 pm »
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. It varies from kid to kid. I think it has something to do with learning how to speak, especially with complex words and sentences. I didn't speak this way as a kid, but I knew kids who did. It's like they emphasize their "O's", even when they aren't there (or in this case "TherOR"). It might be them over thinking it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:58:00 pm »
hench
Now, there's something I haven't seen in a while.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:49:50 pm »
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. It varies from kid to kid. I think it has something to do with learning how to speak, especially with complex words and sentences. I didn't speak this way as a kid, but I knew kids who did. It's like they emphasize their "O's", even when they aren't there (or in this case "TherOR"). It might be them over thinking it.

Ah thanks... Every time I've heard it, I just get taken back. It's really peculiar but also very cute.
Made by SEGA

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:18:21 pm »
Okay that video was poorly done.

1. When I was a kid I never typed anything until highschool. Because of Microsoft Office 97 it put the typing people out of business.

2. It is called Typing. In typing people get paid not to make mistakes unlike computers. I took a course in highschool.

3. You do not get taught this at all unless your highschool actually have this so forth or so far. In my highschool we had an typing teacher. Her husband did not value her too much and her big grown teenage daughter decided to skip school. A couple of staff at the school chased

4. Only secretaries would use type writers. Go watch the film "Secretary" and "Clockwatchers" ( two of my favorite films ) Think about it like that. The boss had a computer while the secretary had to use the type writer.

5. Uhmmm I don't know??? Those "little people" AKA children talk like that because all of us are born with every language inside of us. Babies speak a unified language as well. In fact the number of bones a baby have decreases as they are born with over 300+ more bones but as the body develops it get reduced to less then 200+- bones.

American people have a direct way of speaking. Which is very hard to maintain. As a person grows up their speaking becomes more "perfected" and directed. In the mid-west and Southern parts of the United States, people have an ancient that is only found in America. In the west they also share this. The South South ( like MI and IL ) have variants of dialects ( simular to French and Spanish ) that develops based on where you grow up in that region. In the eastern half they mostly have that perfected English that does not sound like British or Mid-western and to make things worst because people are around certain people.

6. I did not know what a type writer was until I reached highschool. In fact we had computers in the 5th grade and even in Kindergarden. I touched an IBM/DOS machine that was in my household long before I touched a type writer.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:19:53 pm by RegalSin »

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 11:00:34 am »
What I can't stand about our American speech is the addition of 'AH'. You know what I'm talking about? Say I slap a teenager upside the face and they cry out with, "OOOWWW-AH!" or they scream "What are you doing-ah!" In my neck of the woods, I hear this constantly. All the fucking time in fact. It's really annoying....

Can we make them stop?
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 06:17:26 pm »
Teenagers are different. It depends on how much evil/exprience they have. Like take a woman who just discovered life outside of academics. She completely changes. Between continuing adult and teenagers depends on how much interactions a person have. Meaning some people can have jobs where they barely use their lip.

Many girls who live in an certain area of the city; might talk to people in an certain manor.

Same thing with guys as well. Many men barely have a chance to talk or develop. That does not mean they are a bad speaker it just means they are not able to talk in an certain manor.

Also....another thing to think about is the various race groups ( including the Race groups in European/African/Asian communities ) where a person is unable to speak a certain way based on the shape of their body.

Same with teeth. Your teeth is basically changes shape. If your in an culture of developing your speech.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:05:45 pm »
What I can't stand about our American speech is the addition of 'AH'. You know what I'm talking about? Say I slap a teenager upside the face and they cry out with, "OOOWWW-AH!" or they scream "What are you doing-ah!" In my neck of the woods, I hear this constantly. All the fucking time in fact. It's really annoying....

Can we make them stop?

I know exactly what you mean, young kids also did this here... But it seems to have died out, I haven't heard it in years. I agree it's really irritating.

Also, Regal Sin, try to stay on topic...
Made by SEGA

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:06:10 pm »
I am on topic and mylifewithsega wented from kids to teenagers. Which is two different categories.
You have to make more logical sense and show more examples of what you are talking about.

Seriously your attitudes are terribly poor about the speech of people in general. Again your talking about race, area, and other things in the cultural aspect. USAmerica is not just one group of people. It is multitudes of people itself.

For example. I knew somebody who lived in one area and when they moved to another area. They were surrounded by people in general. So they came back with another kind of speech. When your a kid; depending on people around you. You will eventually start to MIMIC everybody.
That is a natural thing about people and speech.

In fact what is your neck of the woods? And could you show more examples of what your talking about. Again that video was a poor example to look at. Because this pre-recorded, selected and so forth.

Your going to cry about the way a child speech in one nation. You might as well not have any children to begin with. I never ask myself why children in Britannia sound like they have a jump or full stop in their voices. I just assume okay they are like that because of being around the people who speak that way.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 05:34:53 pm »
I imagine the way Regalsin's mind works is akin to opening your eyes underwater.
Made by SEGA