Author Topic: The Sega Family  (Read 17967 times)

Offline ungibbed

• Total Meseta: 4
  • hater of haters...
Re: The Sega Family
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 10:52:14 pm »
I compared the Resident Evil games on both systems and the original was a pretty early PlayStation title but the fine details are hard to pick out between them.

I did notice a lot more polygon clipping on the character models as opposed to the PlayStation version. The points where basic bone structure is supposed to be. On the other side of the coin, the PlayStation version of the game was in a 15 bit color space which on a good TV, showed dithering patterns on the 3D elements of the game while the Saturn was in a 32bit color range that didn't show the dithering patterns commonly seen on PS One games

Resident Evil also isn't the best game to compare between the two as as only a small portion of the game used 3D models.

A better comparison is Castlevania SOTN and the Saturn import version. Both are great but you can see the weaknesses in the lighting/transparencies on the Saturn despite the longer development time and extra areas to explore.

Full 3D games such as Pandemonium, Road Rash, and the first Need for speed games really show the differences. Both Road Rash and Need For Speed translated to the Saturn rather well from the original 3DO games as that system also used quadrilaterals for 3D models when it came to using textured polygons.

The PlayStation version of Need For Speed did render much faster but you could see the triangles not quite meshing as well as the Saturn port.

It's a rather complex issue as seen with the original pack in Virtua Fighter when faced against Battle Arena Toshinden. Sega's quickly hurried out VF Remix to avoid such embarrassment. I was a day one Saturn owner and I used to compare many games to the PlayStation versions of a multiplatform game.

I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:32 am »
I compared the Resident Evil games on both systems and the original was a pretty early PlayStation title but the fine details are hard to pick out between them.

I did notice a lot more polygon clipping on the character models as opposed to the PlayStation version. The points where basic bone structure is supposed to be. On the other side of the coin, the PlayStation version of the game was in a 15 bit color space which on a good TV, showed dithering patterns on the 3D elements of the game while the Saturn was in a 32bit color range that didn't show the dithering patterns commonly seen on PS One games

Resident Evil also isn't the best game to compare between the two as as only a small portion of the game used 3D models.

A better comparison is Castlevania SOTN and the Saturn import version. Both are great but you can see the weaknesses in the lighting/transparencies on the Saturn despite the longer development time and extra areas to explore.

Full 3D games such as Pandemonium, Road Rash, and the first Need for speed games really show the differences. Both Road Rash and Need For Speed translated to the Saturn rather well from the original 3DO games as that system also used quadrilaterals for 3D models when it came to using textured polygons.

The PlayStation version of Need For Speed did render much faster but you could see the triangles not quite meshing as well as the Saturn port.

It's a rather complex issue as seen with the original pack in Virtua Fighter when faced against Battle Arena Toshinden. Sega's quickly hurried out VF Remix to avoid such embarrassment. I was a day one Saturn owner and I used to compare many games to the PlayStation versions of a multiplatform game.

i guess so.
i played sotn on saturn as well. i loved the extras.
and the pixelated lightning is there as u said. so the difference is there. and thats a half 2d game

id like to think that saturn is a better console then psx
it was just harder to use. this brings me to another topic

the sega famil in my opinion is the best family ever u got all kinds of characters. sony doesnt even have one. ok yeah there is this battle star royale. but u cant really say that is playstations. we thought the same about crash bandicoot and it was on gameboy and nintendo as well

ok the scattered sega without a console and base.
but when you look at its characters you cant deny that it is the best. even a nintendo fan gotta admit that.

and ungibbed i happen to be with sega. and i am not a blind follower of sega. just imagine you bought all dem consoles and you loved every game u ever played. and then when there was no consoles and still the sega games. and still u loved every game u played of sega.

surely thats a sign being a sega fan.

im not an extremist i like playing god of war ans assassins creed n all that. but when it comes down to it i like sega the most. and id buy that unreleased freaking console in an instand impulsive way.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 02:45:44 pm »
All I would like to see in the next All-Stars game is to have characters that will appeal to both Western and eastern Sega fans because the last few we're a bit too focused on Dreamcast and Western appeal. I'm sure that people who grew up playing the Genesis would like to see Streets of Rage or and Japanese players who played the Sakura Taisen games.

But if the next one is a fighter with Power Stone gameplay, Sega better gimme some of dat Joe Musashi and Sakura Shinguji. Their All-Star would be unique if executed right.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »

id like to think that saturn is a better console then psx

I'm not here to sway anyone's view or opinion on what they must like, simply sharing my experience from over the years of Sega's great years (and not so great), every company stumbles along the tricky road of gaming. Internally the Saturn was a technical mess but it still had some great games that I miss. Please never think otherwise, I'm a huge fan of gaming in general and still love a few levels of Sonic CD on my phone. ;-)

and ungibbed i happen to be with sega. and i am not a blind follower of sega. just imagine you bought all dem consoles and you loved every game u ever played. and then when there was no consoles and still the sega games. and still u loved every game u played of sega.

surely thats a sign being a sega fan.

im not an extremist i like playing god of war ans assassins creed n all that. but when it comes down to it i like sega the most. and id buy that unreleased freaking console in an instand impulsive way.

As I said before, I am a fan of games and while did give Pokemon an honest shot, I simply didn't care for it. That's no reason to hate on it and other Nintendo franchises that you described earlier (in bad taste/form). There are also some Sega games that are great but I didn't care for. Everyone is entitled to like or dislike a game but I never hate on games I never played or if I dislike a certain franchise, I put reason and a logical explanation why.

I had moonlighted for Sega Visions Magazine in the past and always have been honest about a game and not afraid to express why. As a former writer and writing reviews in the past, I would always back up a negative opinion if I had one. When it comes to other consoles and games, I prefer to spend some time with them before passing judgement.

One thing I love about the Wii is the fact that I can play most of the games from what I consider a golden era of console games most of which were from the 16 bit systems. Super Castlevania IV is one of my all time favorite games along with Super Mario World. I also have a ton of the most popular Genesis titles but annoyed at the lack of Rocket Knight Adventures and the amazing Disney licensed platformers for the system.

Again, no reason for blind derogatory hate on other games. If you don't like them and really feel the need to back up that opinion, explain why. I played Pokemon Red and a Game Boy color to see what made this game so popular with Nintendo fans.

After a few days to me, it felt more frustrating due to the random encounters and my lack of general knowledge of what would be the best creature to use in a battle. If it dies, I got to capture another and get it's stats up. I also dislike random encounters as well but I lived with it playing through Phantasy Star as the game felt more engaging with the 3D dungeons and memorable characters.

Will I say Pokemon sucks ass? No. It just is over my head as there is a information overload to learn for my older brain. I had to ask my nephew for tips on the game as he was more familiar with the creatures. The Pokedex 3D on the 3DS did help much later to understand the stats. One day maybe I will give the game another shot as I dove in with no instruction book or a single clue what to do.

In closing, I'm a much bigger fan of twitch gaming and fast action, bought After Burner Climax and love it. I enjoy being able to dive in a game for fast action and Sega's offerings are more plentiful despite what console a game is on or how old it is. I'm a huge fan of shmups and the console that had the most over the years and some of the best was the TurboGrafx/PC Engine. The system was right up my alley along with a lot of good shooters over the years on my old Master System, Genesis and Sega CD and so on.

Even the best moments I also had on the NES with a friend playing good old Contra!

In the end, hate the haters, not the games. Without them we would possibly still be hitting up sol.exe on Windows despite that I'm a Mac owner (and Mac gamer).
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:01 am »
All I would like to see in the next All-Stars game is to have characters that will appeal to both Western and eastern Sega fans because the last few we're a bit too focused on Dreamcast and Western appeal. I'm sure that people who grew up playing the Genesis would like to see Streets of Rage or and Japanese players who played the Sakura Taisen games.

But if the next one is a fighter with Power Stone gameplay, Sega better gimme some of dat Joe Musashi and Sakura Shinguji. Their All-Star would be unique if executed right.
Yes that's Sharky's dream as well. but i wouldn't want to see a Sega game copying a capcom game literally, i'd want to see Sega perfect what we have played on Power stone and Fighters Megamix and Super Smash.
The real problem is that sega japan doesn't do the "SUPERSTARS or ALLSTARS series anymore and they are the only ones capable of surpassing SSB and Powerstone. And Sumo Digital hasn't to my knowledge hasn't made a fighter game or shown any intrest in going that route. It also depends if this game has made back its budget and beyond.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »
I'm not here to sway anyone's view or opinion on what they must like, simply sharing my experience from over the years of Sega's great years (and not so great), every company stumbles along the tricky road of gaming. Internally the Saturn was a technical mess but it still had some great games that I miss. Please never think otherwise, I'm a huge fan of gaming in general and still love a few levels of Sonic CD on my phone. ;-)

As I said before, I am a fan of games and while did give Pokemon an honest shot, I simply didn't care for it. That's no reason to hate on it and other Nintendo franchises that you described earlier (in bad taste/form). There are also some Sega games that are great but I didn't care for. Everyone is entitled to like or dislike a game but I never hate on games I never played or if I dislike a certain franchise, I put reason and a logical explanation why.

I had moonlighted for Sega Visions Magazine in the past and always have been honest about a game and not afraid to express why. As a former writer and writing reviews in the past, I would always back up a negative opinion if I had one. When it comes to other consoles and games, I prefer to spend some time with them before passing judgement.

One thing I love about the Wii is the fact that I can play most of the games from what I consider a golden era of console games most of which were from the 16 bit systems. Super Castlevania IV is one of my all time favorite games along with Super Mario World. I also have a ton of the most popular Genesis titles but annoyed at the lack of Rocket Knight Adventures and the amazing Disney licensed platformers for the system.

Again, no reason for blind derogatory hate on other games. If you don't like them and really feel the need to back up that opinion, explain why. I played Pokemon Red and a Game Boy color to see what made this game so popular with Nintendo fans.

After a few days to me, it felt more frustrating due to the random encounters and my lack of general knowledge of what would be the best creature to use in a battle. If it dies, I got to capture another and get it's stats up. I also dislike random encounters as well but I lived with it playing through Phantasy Star as the game felt more engaging with the 3D dungeons and memorable characters.

Will I say Pokemon sucks ass? No. It just is over my head as there is a information overload to learn for my older brain. I had to ask my nephew for tips on the game as he was more familiar with the creatures. The Pokedex 3D on the 3DS did help much later to understand the stats. One day maybe I will give the game another shot as I dove in with no instruction book or a single clue what to do.

In closing, I'm a much bigger fan of twitch gaming and fast action, bought After Burner Climax and love it. I enjoy being able to dive in a game for fast action and Sega's offerings are more plentiful despite what console a game is on or how old it is. I'm a huge fan of shmups and the console that had the most over the years and some of the best was the TurboGrafx/PC Engine. The system was right up my alley along with a lot of good shooters over the years on my old Master System, Genesis and Sega CD and so on.

Even the best moments I also had on the NES with a friend playing good old Contra!

In the end, hate the haters, not the games. Without them we would possibly still be hitting up sol.exe on Windows despite that I'm a Mac owner (and Mac gamer).

i guess im just to radical about sega.
it has nothing to do with your view cause i acknowledge yours cause it is the realistic one.

but emotionally and me choosing sides. which in your point of view is not necessary and again realistically i shouldnt do so. but my genes and dna gives me the urge to be with sega and to battle .$at least im not a crusader ;)

just to explain and seriously i really tried to like nes snes n64 etc.....

ok 1.
before i played nes i played sms. just after i played sms some dude pakistani gave me this nes with mario and duckhunt and he had this womanlike game with this angel cupido shizzle flying like a .... i dont wanna say the word cause i have to be politically correct on this matter.
but most of the time when i inject the cartridge in the nes it woumdnt work unless i blow the mofo out of it.
so after playing it while not moving it i was like yeah lets play batman. i had a laugh for a bit cause that game was not only batman it was a bad man LOL
castlevania was ok tho. but i had to give it the end i didnt like the colors and the games and the cartridge issues.

ok2. i had this snes borrowed. actually he wanted my megadrive for his snes. it was egoistic of me cause i didnt give him the MD. but he gave me the snes with loads of games
final fight? nah sor is better. asterix was all right but i was annoying myself to the joypad somehow it was stiff. ill give them props for MK1 but i liked the gameplay of MK1 on the MD more
and then again i lost the spirit and basically after a 2 days i stopped playing it as for a fact i played it against my will for 2 days

ok3
n64? ok only zelda. and thats really about it. didnt understand the golden eye hype

ok4 gamecube was the first nintendo i appreciated. whie being under rated i enjoyed sonic heroes billy hatcher and even all of them metroids and zeldas. baten kaitos tales of symphonia  project o4 some girl shooting while hearing drum n bass music in the background.
so this is the first nintendo i actually played. it had sega games and i had to choose caus ethere was no sega no mo

ok4 wii
dont like it i hate it so bad wii mote yukh
ok ok ok mortal kombat armageddon with wii mote worked out well and conduit. but it gave me that feeling like i had with the sness. and the zelda that cae out i played it on gamecube. i havent played the newest one yet

wii u.
im not even gonna start playin that

so u see ungibbled
it is nt really only me being a fan. i just dislike it. and not blindly. i just dislike it.
i guess its a matter of taste.

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 12:58:45 am »
To be honest, with the older systems, you did miss out on a ton of great games. Ones I'd recommend for each system would be...

NES: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Kirby's Adventure, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Contra (definitely with a friend), River City Ransom, finally, RC Pro AM. (A Mega Drive version exists though)...

SNES: Super Castlevania 4, Legend Of Mystical Ninja, Secret of Mana, Actraiser, Donkey Kong Country.

N64: Ogre Battle 64, Bad Fur Day, Shadowman. Rogue Squadron (with the expansion Pak)

Gamecube: If you didn't get a chance to play F-Zero, find a way! This one came from Amusement Vision. It's brutal and beautiful!

I picked up a Wii for the exclusive titles mainly and the Virtual Console library. There are some gems for the system but it's really the mindset of accepting the motion controls. Red Steel was awful! If you played Metroid Prime 3 or the trilogy, that's a great way to experience Metroid in 3D. The other reasons were Okami and the Zelda titles. Others games I picked up along the way were well worth it. The swan song, Xenoblade Chronicles is perhaps one of the absolute best games for the system if you're an RPG fan.

Sounds to me that you just got exposed to rather average games that even I'd avoid. I myself preferred Streets Of Rage 2 over Final Fight by a long ways.

If anything at all, try getting a shot at F-Zero GX. Sega really did a kickass job on a Nintendo system.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

I've been reading back through my issues of Sega Visions recently, and I was surprised to see how critical the reviews were -- especially considering it was the official Sega magazine, primarily a promotional item.  The average scores in those days would be considered rather low these days -- a lot of stuff in the 60s and 70s.  Of course, I'd prefer it if the current perception of 'anything below an 80 sucks' would shift back to something more reasonable and nuanced.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »
To be honest, with the older systems, you did miss out on a ton of great games. Ones I'd recommend for each system would be...

NES: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Kirby's Adventure, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Contra (definitely with a friend), River City Ransom, finally, RC Pro AM. (A Mega Drive version exists though)...

SNES: Super Castlevania 4, Legend Of Mystical Ninja, Secret of Mana, Actraiser, Donkey Kong Country.

N64: Ogre Battle 64, Bad Fur Day, Shadowman. Rogue Squadron (with the expansion Pak)

Gamecube: If you didn't get a chance to play F-Zero, find a way! This one came from Amusement Vision. It's brutal and beautiful!

I picked up a Wii for the exclusive titles mainly and the Virtual Console library. There are some gems for the system but it's really the mindset of accepting the motion controls. Red Steel was awful! If you played Metroid Prime 3 or the trilogy, that's a great way to experience Metroid in 3D. The other reasons were Okami and the Zelda titles. Others games I picked up along the way were well worth it. The swan song, Xenoblade Chronicles is perhaps one of the absolute best games for the system if you're an RPG fan.

Sounds to me that you just got exposed to rather average games that even I'd avoid. I myself preferred Streets Of Rage 2 over Final Fight by a long ways.

If anything at all, try getting a shot at F-Zero GX. Sega really did a kickass job on a Nintendo system.

f zero rocks.
maybe u remember extreme G. i love those games. dont play them when u have head ache.

;)

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 05:27:30 am »
I've been reading back through my issues of Sega Visions recently, and I was surprised to see how critical the reviews were -- especially considering it was the official Sega magazine, primarily a promotional item.  The average scores in those days would be considered rather low these days -- a lot of stuff in the 60s and 70s.  Of course, I'd prefer it if the current perception of 'anything below an 80 sucks' would shift back to something more reasonable and nuanced.

We all were pretty harsh but also wanted to share our true feelings of a game with our readers back then. Even when a game came in for licensing evaluation, it was reviewed by all of us regardless of our game preferences (I was the liaison for Working Designs and the only RPG nut there so a passing score was tough but I pushed through what I could). I hated sports games but spent a day learning Madden all over again since the last Madden football game I played was the first EA Genesis game. Much simpler back then. I still sucked at it but for other qualities, I gave quite a few sports titles a passing score except for one...

Prize Fighter for the Saturn. Rehash of the grain fest Sega CD game, only full screen with early, full screen chunky Cinepak. I wrote in my review that as both a consumer and a developer standpoint, this is not a good start for the Saturn. It was canned IIRC.

I loved reviewing and comparing games from over the years and instead of the marketing magazine known as Nintendo Power, I wanted to focus on honest reviews from pure gamer perspective. My specialties were RPG's, strategy (chess and such, I suck at Warcraft 3 even to this day) but managed to struggle by with many Saturn exclusive games such as Dragon Force (the Saturn NEEDED these games to compete) and my guilty pleasure, racing games even to this day.

One strategy game I absolutely loved and got the hang of was Dungeon Keeper and it's sequel on the PC. I kept on EA to at least try and port the first to the Saturn but I was sad that franchise simply was dropped completely. Being a Mac fan, I built a PC gaming rig just for Dungeon Keeper 2 and like many others was very disappointed that it never came to be.

The Dreamcast was the perfect console to bring the game to but still, it never happened.

Glad to hear there are some Sega Visions fans around. I wanted to write for ODCM, but as resources were spread so thin and the publication was losing money by not having enough circulation and readers expecting a demo disc every month, publishing costs were rather high. I kept with GT Interactive as long as I could hang in there and had a rather unpleasant and unplanned early retirement. Now just working on helping RIM get some games on the new BB 10 platform. A new "fun" way to keep busy and hey, got a free tablet for my efforts.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
Yes that's Sharky's dream as well. but i wouldn't want to see a Sega game copying a capcom game literally, i'd want to see Sega perfect what we have played on Power stone and Fighters Megamix and Super Smash.
The real problem is that sega japan doesn't do the "SUPERSTARS or ALLSTARS series anymore and they are the only ones capable of surpassing SSB and Powerstone. And Sumo Digital hasn't to my knowledge hasn't made a fighter game or shown any intrest in going that route. It also depends if this game has made back its budget and beyond.
I hope it does. I just hope that the roster expands more than 22 characters and SOA/SOE doesn't mess up.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 08:01:27 am »
I hope it does. I just hope that the roster expands more than 22 characters and SOA/SOE doesn't mess up.

Sega West not messing up? Like that will NEVER happen!