Author Topic: On a GBA streak...  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
On a GBA streak...
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:31:24 am »
I honestly don't know what happened, but after watching some gameplay of Drill Dozer (a game that never came out on the EU), I just decided to look at other GBA gems for the system.

At the moment I bought quite a few Nintendo games (and finally managed to find a Fire Emblem game there for a great price. £40 brand new/sealed (if it's legit), although I won't say whether the seller is legit or not until I see the game for myself).

Anyway, here's what I bought:

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Pinball (I like pinball games)
Drill Dozer (as mentioned)
The Legendary Starfy 2 (Cheapish)
Wario Land 2, 3 and 4.

I'm interested in WarioWare and put a bid on it, but unsure on Yoshi Topsy Turvy (looks too easy). I heard that the GBA Kirby isn't good (or at least the same as the others). Unsure of Mario vs DK's gameplay would entice me and Metroid: Zero Mission seems pretty expensive on Amazon/eBay.

I have looked at the SEGA offerings, but sadly most of them don't interest me (I have Chu Chu Rocket, Jet Set Radio and Space Channel 5 on digital services. SMBJ would technically not be as good as Banana Splitz and I have played all of the Sonic games bar Pinball Party).

I would be interested in Pinball of the Dead if it weren't for being an NA/Japan Exclusive in addition to being cheap. <_<

What do you guys think? Any recommendations?

The only games I probably don't play is Mega Man but I am unsure about Zone of the Enders on the GBA. Boktai seems interesting but since it requires being in daylight, that'd be a hard option for me.

For reference, I have owned/own:

LoZ: Minish Cap
Metroid Fusion (epic game)
Sonic Advance 1 & 2 (did own 3 but sold it)
Sonic Battle
Pokemon Ruby (I had Sapphire but sold it)
Pokemon FireRed (Same reason)
Golden Sun 1 & 2 (bought those almost day 1)
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: On a GBA streak...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:11 am »
For anyone interested I snagged Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones for £40, sealed and it is very legit!

I also obtained WarioWare for £6 in excellent condition.

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:37 am »
You could always try the Fire Emblem & Advance wars games. They're great strategy games in the vein of Valkyria Chronicles. Superstar Saga is also a decent recommendation, but avoid Pinball Land. The GBA may have had a great library, but I found myself mostly playing the Super Mario Advance series, which are mostly ports.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:08:41 am »
You could always try the Fire Emblem & Advance wars games. They're great strategy games in the vein of Valkyria Chronicles. Superstar Saga is also a decent recommendation, but avoid Pinball Land. The GBA may have had a great library, but I found myself mostly playing the Super Mario Advance series, which are mostly ports.

I have Sacred Stone now, so I will play that once I beat Awakening. (the GBA games cost a bomb to own though...which sucks...Blazing Sword goes for £50 used!)

I have AW on the DS, and I liked it, but it won't have changed enough for me to buy the GBA version.

I owned SS, I forgot to mention that. :S

I see....perhaps try Drill Dozer as it seems to be very cheap in America? (I had to import since the UK never got it)

Offline FourCartridge

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:48:31 am »
A few more games I forgot:

Yu-Gu-Oh! Stairway to the Destined Duel. It's got all the children's card games with a straight face the rest of the franchise has, bit it's a great adaptation of the card game and anime(Yugi still pulls wins out of nowhere though)

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. It's functionally a remake of the original, but I've heard from it's fans it's worth the money.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:11:26 am »
I had that Dungeon Dice game years ago, and it was surprisingly good...but I sold it when I grew out of Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

Is that where you have to use cards to attack? I dunno if I should take the risk, lol.

Offline FourCartridge

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:58:57 am »
Stairway is a straight adaptation of the "real" card game(You know that little code at the bottom right of cards? If it was made before the Battle City arc). If you want to play the card game without the fuss of consulting rules or keeping track of Life Points, it's the go-to game.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:26:19 am »
Ah I see, that's interesting.

I'll look it up soon!

Offline Bartman3010

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »
Mario Pinball Land is a real bummer. Since you're supposed to collect stars, and considering how imprecise the physics can get, going through that game can be a real chore. Not to mention if you leave a room, all the challenges reset, and you can't quite keep track of what you need to look for.

Rayman 3 GBA is probably my favorite for the system, and I liked it better than the console version of Rayman 3, its much more challenging, looks great, and has a surprising amount of attention that most other "Console to handheld" don't really get.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »
Try Gunstar Super Heroes. It's a rehash of the original Gunstar Heroes with enough new content and gameplay to make it fresh. Must play for fans of the original.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:47:49 pm »
I have that, but sadly don't like it as much as the original. :(