Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival  (Read 22876 times)

Offline shadowgangs

• Total Meseta: 0
(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:48:10 am »

Hi everyone;

I am excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs Kickstarter is now live here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858040208/shadow-gangs-80s-ninja-arcade-action-revival

Please share the news! and thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuZFODMebI

The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016

I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads section here.

A new video has been uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-ZpxWKEaQ

Video now available here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_mo0soMqs

I would like to introduce a new game in the making, inspired by some of the great arcade games of the mid to late 80's like Shinobi, Bad Dudes and Shadow Warriors.
The game is Shadow Gangs http://www.shadowgangs.com

Here are some pictures of the game, a link to the music of the demo level http://www.shadowgangs.com/downloads.html

Let me know your impressions here or in the game website if you like it!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:21:45 pm by shadowgangs »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs" an 80's arcade inspired ninja action game.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:22:17 am »
Welcome to the forums!

Game looks cool, liking where you drew inspiration. My one critique is that the characters get a bit lost in due to the background being detailed and textured. Almost wondering if you need to add shadows to the characters or outlines. The character in the first screen, for example, looks like graffiti.

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:41:59 pm »
Welcome to the forums!

Game looks cool, liking where you drew inspiration. My one critique is that the characters get a bit lost in due to the background being detailed and textured. Almost wondering if you need to add shadows to the characters or outlines. The character in the first screen, for example, looks like graffiti.

Thank you for the welcome.
I think it's the hight details and graphic style that may convey the impression you have. But this won't be an issue when seeing a video or the actual game.

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:16:12 pm »

Not yet a video, but I can see it in the horizon.

I started the Gui work after having done the game mechanics , being confident in them and having the demo level done.

Meanwhile, here is an actual in-game picture showing more action than the previous ones.

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 07:30:02 pm »

I thought I give a new Shadow Gangs update.

Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician sent me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon as I get it.

I know I always say a video is coming soon, or the demo soon...but this game is hard work and especially I want it to be the great product I am hoping it will be.

In any case, the demo should be out before the end of March.

Here is some pictures of the game running the latest build.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:30:57 am »
Nice buttchecks lol.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:32 pm »
Love the graphic style but I don't like the design of the main character (too generic).
Still since I love Shinobi series I'd love to try this game.

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 04:31:06 pm »

Hi Everyone;

I would like to share with you some good news, this month's last weekend I will meet the game background artist Toni Galvez, and we'll be making videos of the game.
So an actual game video will be available before the end of this month.

Another great news, I received Shadow Gangs's second and final music track for the demo.

Please find it here, it manages to be even better than the first track, I kept listening to it the whole day and still do now.

It is an exciting prospect to imagine the whole game having music of this quality from start to finish, which was my objective but I feel lucky to work with such a talented artist.

For you guys that wanted a ninja instead of Dan, Dan will transform to a ninja (you'll still play Dan for those that like him the way he is now, but he will transform to a ninja mid level (so he can use the sword and other ninja powers)).

Here an image showing Dan in ninja suit, as well as the first mission boss:

More detail on the news section of game website.

Hope you like it!

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 06:19:55 pm »

Hi Everyone;

Just a quick update, I received the final version of both Shadow Gangs music tracks.
Find them here:
Burning Fist
Shadow Gangs Theme

The video is of course coming this weekend!

Offline shadowgangs

Re: (video) "Shadow Gangs" an 80's arcade inspired ninja action game.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 07:05:50 pm »

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 04:28:10 pm »

I thought I'll give a new Shadow Gangs update.

The game is being updated every day, the new backgrounds are under way and they will look nothing like the originals. They will be very detailed and will have an extra parallax layer that will add a lot of atmosphere to the game.

Shadow Warriors is now my inspiration in relation to the backgrounds  variations  and amount of static object, so expect a completely different and better looking backgrounds.

Other fixes are related to engine fixes, 3 checkpoints instead of 1, new knifeman with a new flying attack type, better AI, fixed camera, some prone guys will now stand up when Dan is near (not all will stand up!) and many fixes and new features have gone in.

I leave you with Dan in ninja form, hope you like it:

and the end boss of one of the games mission (yes, Freddy!):

Development is still going on, stay tuned!

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 02:55:38 am »

and the end boss of one of the games mission (yes, Freddy!):

Lol.. This one is so eighties !!!

Offline shadowgangs

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 05:46:15 pm »

Hi Everyone;

Finally I am proud to present the new Shadow Gangs, with new backgrounds (pictures bellow), and many more fixes and enhancements that pictures can't convey.

I am also excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo, and the new and final pre Kickstarter video will be both available at the same time at the end of next week, Saturday or Sunday, most probably Sunday 22nd of May.

Aside from preparing the demo, I will now prepare for the kickstarter campaign. To this end, I am going to dress up in big detail what

Shadow Gangs is about, what enemies are there, what levels, what new weapons can Dan and his ninja form use, how they can use it, and what

the ninja form add to Dan capability wise.

Rendez-vous at the end of next week, the demo will be available then for download (pc version), and a new video and final video will be uploaded, and I will also announce the kickstarter date!

Offline shadowgangs

Re: (Demo) "Shadow Gangs" an 80's arcade inspired ninja action game.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 03:25:02 am »

I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads section here.

It's the PC version, it should run fine on a 1ghz PC with Intel graphics, but let me know if you have any issues running it.
You may need to install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable here if the Demo won't start, I didn't need to but just in case.

A new video has been uploaded here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-ZpxWKEaQ

A new music track is also available, here or in the downloads section. It's included in the demo and can be heard if you finish the demo.

The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016. If you liked the demo and want this game to materialise, please contribute to the crowdfunding.

These kind of games like Shadow Gangs won't be brought back by big game companies, or the likes of Sega, Capcom etc...., they all seem to have moved to 3D and other new fancy gameplay styles etc..., so don't wait for them to release something like Shadow Gangs.

Also feedback on the game all over the internet, here and friends has been very important, and this new demo is showing that. Apart from the new backgrounds, many enhancements and fixes have gone in.

I really hope you enjoy it!

Offline shadowgangs

Re: (Demo) "Shadow Gangs" an 80's arcade inspired ninja action game.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 04:34:49 pm »

Just to say that I received enough feedback about the difficulty being too hard even in easy mode, so I added 3 more checkpoints on all difficulty modes, and lessened the number of dangerous situations in easy mode.

It should be an easy ride now.
(In easy, other modes are still challenging).

New demo version available at the same place here.