Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 42419 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »
Got back to watching Naruto again... Currentely in Filler Purgatory (basically anything after episode 135). Episode 142 even was we speak. Must hold on till Shippuden.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 09:09:27 pm »
Fargo season 2 (you betcha!), Downton Abbey season 6 (being a dirty pirate), and Nathan For You (funniest show on tv).

Offline max_cady

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 03:05:46 am »
Watched the first two episodes of The Flash, season 2. Pretty good so far. Also been watching Be Cool, Scooby Doo. Had to admit that after SD: Mistery Incorporated (arguably the most mature and clever SD series), I was a little skeptical about this new series. But it turns out that the shift towards comedy works just as well.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2015, 03:53:46 am »
Fargo season 2 (you betcha!), Downton Abbey season 6 (being a dirty pirate), and Nathan For You (funniest show on tv).
Didn't know Season 2 was on.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »
Didn't know Season 2 was on.

Yup! Two episodes in, its so good...

Offline Nathan Dunsmore

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »
Just finished Jessica Jones. I enjoyed it even more than Daredevil. Nice break from all the holiday themed shows.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 09:09:04 am »

So right now I am very deeply invested in Naruto Shipuuden. I'm done with the Pain Story Arc (arguably the best story arc in Shipuuden so far) and I'm early into the Danzo / Five Kages Summit Story Arc. Shipuuden has a massive problem with filler episodes, it's not just filler with villain of the week with downgraded animation, there's also a ton of redundant flashbacks. I mean, you might get at least 30 episodes that are cannon and then about 20 or so episodes of stuff that's irrelevant (or repetitive). Ever so often, they'll shove two episodes that have nothing to do with anything in the middle of an important story arc.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 11:36:40 pm »
Been watching Jessica Jones, show is pretty great thus far.

Been quite impressed with Marvels Netflix offerings, I really enjoyed Daredevil as well.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 12:47:24 pm »
RWBY. I just discovered this gem and have no idea how I missed this!
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2015, 03:55:35 am »

Good grief, no wonder Naruto Shippuden has such a bad rep. The amount of fillers during the 4th Great Ninja War are just insane. They will literally start an episode that seems canonical only for them to fill the entire episode with either flashbacks or a completely unrelated subplot. The flashbacks are getting annoying too, I mean, I've already seen the same events of the Nine Tails Attack unfold for the third time from sligthy different points of view (Naruto's birth, Tobi's involvement, Minato and Kushina's death), talk about getting cheap.

The 4th Great Ninja War would be an otherwise wicked cool Story Arc but keeps getting bogged down by fillers.

If I were to list the best moments from both Naruto and Shippuden, so far I'd say:

Chunnin Exams
Sasuke Rescue Attempt
Pain's Assault on the Hidden Leaf Village
Naruto and Killer B Train and Kushina's Backstory
Five Kage Summit
Gaara's Rescue
Sasuke vs Itachi

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:34 am »
Watched the new episode of "Top Gear" with Chris Evans.

Well, I say watched...I just couldn't. As expected, it's just not the same without Clarkson, Hammond and May. Don't think the BBC understand that the reason it worked before was they were actually friends and not manufactured for sole purpose of the show.

Sabine was great and once he shakes off the nerves I think Leblanc will be good too. He certainly shined in the off studio work. Chris Evans though was exactly what I suspected and I think he'll be the biggest issue. He's just too controlling and overpowering thoughout the show.

I also watched the latest episode of Dragonball Super and it seems like it's finally getting somewhere. The last 10/15 episodes have felt very much like the foundations of this much bigger DB universe, but now we're finally going to see it and a real story on the way.

My only complaint is how they've sort of written themselves into a corner with the characters. Goku and Vegeta are still the only ones able to be in the spotlight and everyone else seems to be just background noise. Gohan has become extremely weak, while Goten and Trunks (Gotenks too) have become comedy characters. It would be nice to see some character development from Goten and Trunks and sort of desire to be the "next" warriors as well as having a laugh.

Speaking off, I kind of want to see humans brought back into it all. Perhaps due to training with Whis or something, they discover a transformation or something.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:26 pm »

Since Naruto Shippudden is currentely in filler limbo, I've been watching other series... and as such I've been bingewatching Fairy Tail. Fairy Tail falls into the same category as Dragon Ball / Naruto / One Piece / Bleach, it's a shounen-type that along with Naruto has a surprisingly amount of dramatic moments. It's a story about Natsu, a boy raised by a Dragon who works for a guild named Fairy Tail. The Fairy Tail guild is full of silly characters with magical abilities who make a living taking several odd jobs. Like Gray, an ice sorcerer that keeps losing his own clothes, Erza, who is an uptight and insanely powerful sorcerer (though secretely she's into bondage), Makarov, the kooky old man who is the guild's grand master. Elfman who is a manly mam that can transform as well as his little sister Mirajane who is magazine model and bartender. Jet, Droy, Levy and several other characters that are interesting enough to not feel like they are just there to fill background. And Lucy, the big breasted sorceress (a rich girl who ran away from home to live on her own) who is actually the real protagonist, since a lot of the action and events are seen in her perspective. And unlike Naruto Shippudden which prominentely features the secondary characters in filler episodes, the entire cast of Fairy Tail plays an important role in nearly all the important story arcs.

Having said that... It's one of those weird cases in which the anime ends, but the manga, however is still onging. And having said that, the anime surprisingly ends in a pretty depressing way. The anime has it's fair share of tear jerking moments, but the ending of the TV series is a little too much, to be honest.

But depressing stuff aside, anime geeks who love fan service will get a kick out of Fairy Tail. There isn't one episode that does not feature silly antics with at least one of the major female protaganists in the roster in an embarrasing situation. Namely Lucy who gets the motherload of fan service-y moments.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:38:38 pm by max_cady »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2016, 06:40:52 am »
Dragonball Super

It just isn't the same. It feels like nothing has anyway weight to it and although the series did need to stop being so serious, Super has no tension at all now. Everything feels like fluff and pointless.

The Simpsons

I tend to wait till the season is done then watch them over a week. Despite all the negativity it gets, I don't think Simpsons is as bad as they say. Yes, some episodes are really weak, but there's still more good than bad. In Season 27, there's probably only 2/3 bad episodes with the rest turning out to be quite good. Barthood was a fun alterative timeline story, Halloween of Horror felt like it felt right out of classic Simpsons too. Really enjoyed this series like the others despite some issues.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 06:04:22 am »
Dragon Ball Super

I want to be this show's devil's advocate so badly... 'cause I like what Dragon Ball Super is trying to do. When compared to shows like Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece and other shonen style cartoons, outside of the fighting, there's nothing else in Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super tries to be a little closer to the original Dragon Ball manga (I mean the early comedic kung fu) not just in tone, but also in world building.
I did not even know Zeny was the in-universe currency (One Piece has Beli and Naruto uses Kyo as currency), that alone gives the Dragon Ball universe a little more personally beyond two characters figthing in a barren wasteland. Add in alternate universes and time travel to make things a little complex. Having said that... I do have some issues...

The animation in some of these episodes has been nothing short of horrendous, like Sonic X level of horrible. Some of the story arcs are very hit or miss.

Offline sfchakan

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2016, 10:56:39 pm »
The Simpsons

I tend to wait till the season is done then watch them over a week. Despite all the negativity it gets, I don't think Simpsons is as bad as they say. Yes, some episodes are really weak, but there's still more good than bad. In Season 27, there's probably only 2/3 bad episodes with the rest turning out to be quite good. Barthood was a fun alterative timeline story, Halloween of Horror felt like it felt right out of classic Simpsons too. Really enjoyed this series like the others despite some issues.

This is my approach to The Simpsons and Family Guy. You can fit in about 3 episodes in an hour if you skip the commercials.

I think the show gets a bit much hate. It's simply because it's rarely sentimental anymore.

The original writers always hated being forced to add that sentimentality into their scripts. I guess they got what they wanted in the end, but it's turned a lot of people off of anything past seasons 8 or 9.

Just like Saturday Night Live, there are good runs of the show from time to time. We'll probably watch it at my house until they pull the plug, then just continue watching old episodes until our memories fail.