Author Topic: What are you playing, stupid?  (Read 717854 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: What are you playing, stupid?
« Reply #2640 on: November 21, 2015, 09:23:40 am »

Alphadia Genesis (PC / Steam)

Out with the major problem first: This game as of right now, has no gamepad support. So if you play it on a big screen TV via HDMI, better get a USB keyboard.

Having said that, it's a pretty good port. It looks great and shiny on at 1920x1080. It's not a groundbreaking JRPG by any means, it's basically a 16-bit game when exploring and random battles are done in 3D. The characters are ubber-charming, I mean they are stereotypes, especially Fray who is arguably the happiest protagonist in a JRPG, he's so at ease, he doesn't hold grudges, he's not an emo douche (Walter, however, is the dude who keeps bottling up his resentment and his sarcasm never has any effect on the main hero).

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2641 on: November 23, 2015, 06:10:15 am »
Finished Telltale's Game of Thrones.

Overall, not bad. The last two episodes felt a bit off, but as we now know a season 2 is in the works, I think I understand why and how season 2 will start. The characters fit into the GoT universe perfectly and although I can't stand the tv show, this isn't as bad due to small chunks it's delivered in. There's some questionable moments (like a character is still standing despite logic saying he'd of bled out and died from injuries a long time ago), but it's still fun.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2642 on: November 29, 2015, 06:36:05 pm »
Steam sales! Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and New Vegas go on sale quite cheaply soon for the holiday sale. Editions with all the DLC included typically drop down to around ten dollars for the holidays, if you don't care about the DLC atm tho it's even cheaper. Skyrim is the most expensive by far though.

I also recommend trying out the original Fallouts if you like old computer RPG's. I like them, but they're hard to get into if you're unused to that style of gameplay. As a heads-up, New Vegas functions more as a sequel to Fallout 2 storywise than Fallout 3 but playing Fallout 2 first just gives you a leg up on lore and background details.
With familyshare I thankfully got them all except for fallout 1&2. Tbh im an extreme completionist when it comes to games. I used to suck at bethesda games because it was horrible for someone with my playstyle(big world with too many choices)but Ive learned a lot from this fallout 3 playthrough how to play bethesda games. I got overcumbered really quick and I didnt wanna leave anything at first lol. Now I know that there's a lot of crap you dont need in bethesda games and I was able to enjoy it more. No more checking every locker, metal box or toolbox. Really made me enjoy the game much more

I finished fallout 3 btw. Im still doing the DLC and visiting all the places on the map. Yeah I gotta admit that while im determined to complete it to a satisfactory state, im starting to feel fatigued. Definetly gonna take a break after the final DLC. A break of maybe a week or 2 lol. Play some simpler games in the mean time :p

Edit: You know, I also gotta say that the world in fallout is horribly depressing. The shit that goes down in the world when you actually see everything. Some village of canibals for example. Some other village with religious wackos believing in radiation as light, turning the people in ghouls and calling them the enlightened ones or whatever while they look disgusting. Its such a disturbing world. Played it with earphones all the way through and it really got to me a lot of times
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:00:47 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2643 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:46 pm »
Fallout is a very dark series, but its tone is more black comedy than anything. Fallout 3 is the darkest game, but the others aren't exactly lighthearted either. I think the darkest part of Fallout 3 was the Tenpenny Tower quest,  simply because every answer sucks in the end. Both sides are assholes, neither want to work together, and the methods for dealing with either side aren't pretty. Either that or the quest at Oasis, both are pretty fucked up.

What did you think of the story to Fallout 3? I thought writing wise it was pretty garbage, but that it was a lot of fun and at least had a lot of variety. I thought New Vegas' story as a whole was weaker (aside from that amazing first act), simply because it was less fun to play, no matter how well written it was.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2644 on: November 30, 2015, 08:55:35 am »
I'm almost done with Alphadia Genesis.

For the most part, the game is a lotta fun. I really wish it had gamepad support. For an Android to PC port, it's pretty good. I'm not too crazy over the brief flashes that this game has just before random battles. The game's roughly 15 hours long, doing all the extra stuff (the post-game stuff, the extra quests and finding all the hidden secrets) will get you a few more hours.

As soon as I'm done with this, I'll move on to either Fairy Fencer F or Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2645 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:23 am »
Fallout is a very dark series, but its tone is more black comedy than anything. Fallout 3 is the darkest game, but the others aren't exactly lighthearted either. I think the darkest part of Fallout 3 was the Tenpenny Tower quest,  simply because every answer sucks in the end. Both sides are assholes, neither want to work together, and the methods for dealing with either side aren't pretty. Either that or the quest at Oasis, both are pretty fucked up.

What did you think of the story to Fallout 3? I thought writing wise it was pretty garbage, but that it was a lot of fun and at least had a lot of variety. I thought New Vegas' story as a whole was weaker (aside from that amazing first act), simply because it was less fun to play, no matter how well written it was.
Hehe yeah i've been there. True. I actually checked the wikia everytime I finished a quest to see all the possible outcomes. In the case of tenpenny Tower I had already killed tenpenny for the ghoul crowley. Tenpenny seems to have been needed to create some sort of peace between the ghouls and the people? Couldnt go back anymore so I just wanted  to keep it a pleasant place at least lol. Tenpenny Tower with the Oasis is one of the few moments where I felt relieved. I mean yah the quests were dark, but the environts felt more peaceful than most places. Everything else just felt uneasy and disturbing.

I thought the mainline story was "just there" tbh. It felt like just one of all the quests with a bit more extra spice. Which is both a strength of the sidequests and a weakness of the mainquest. Cause the sidequests are more than what you'd typically expect. The story itself started out interesting but ended up generic. Maybe I missed something. Mind you, this is the first of this type of game ive played. I heard witcher 3 does everything better but I dont think ill play that soon.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:54:59 pm by CrazyT »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2646 on: December 02, 2015, 05:50:54 am »
Holy Crap, there's a quest to get legendary weapons in Alphadia Genesis. Got three of 'em. So far. Most of the dungeons are a breeze, the one I'm on however is such a drag...

Offline max_cady

« Reply #2647 on: December 07, 2015, 09:37:04 am »
So after I was done with Alphadia Genesis, I finally took some time to plunge into another major JRPG... Fairy Fencer F.

Not what I was expecting. One thing that stands out like a sore thumb, it has arguably the worst, yet the most charming main character I've seen in a JRPG. Fang is almost a parody of your average emo JRPG main lead. He's constantly whining about everything (even during tutorials), is generally rude, is only mildly interested in the main quest, acts he doesn't have a single care in the world 'cept food and finds any and all excuses to just slack off. It's a pretty fun RPG so far.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2648 on: December 12, 2015, 06:25:38 pm »
Playing xenoblade X and Yakuza 5. Havent given the latter too much time since it came out later. Having played a bit I can say it feels very good

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2649 on: December 12, 2015, 07:31:55 pm »
I also finally got to play Yakuza 5 today. Game is so good to play. It's very refined. Story is good too, but stories have always been a strong point of the series. Gotta love those wacky side quests.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2650 on: December 13, 2015, 12:05:46 am »
Really? I've always found the Yakuza story to be ridiculous nonsense.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #2651 on: December 13, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
Really? I've always found the Yakuza story to be ridiculous nonsense.

Well it's not a super realistic story or anything, but it doesn't have to be, it's fiction based on real life. I mean, obviously you don't run into street punks and stomp faces on every corner in Japan. It's a fictional universe.

I think it's great at catching attention, and getting you attached to the characters, and creating a story that leaves you wanting to see the outcome. That's all a story needs, IMO.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2652 on: December 13, 2015, 10:15:04 am »
Top back up what Happy Cat said, Yakuza exists in its own skewed and twisted take on the real world. Crazy stuff happening doesn't negate a good story. Look at Wes Anderson or Tarantino movies, they can be incredibly strange and unreal, but the stories are still exciting. I think going into Yakuza games expecting a realistic gritty crime story will set anybody up for disappointment, but that doesn't make what is there bad. If anything, I'd prefer what we have to a typical true crime story.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #2653 on: December 13, 2015, 11:04:19 am »
It's also the likable
Well it's not a super realistic story or anything, but it doesn't have to be, it's fiction based on real life. I mean, obviously you don't run into street punks and stomp faces on every corner in Japan. It's a fictional universe.

I think it's great at catching attention, and getting you attached to the characters, and creating a story that leaves you wanting to see the outcome. That's all a story needs, IMO.
Indeed. The characters are very likable hence easy to get attached to. The personalities alone make the series for me. Has been such a long time since ive played a yakuza game it made me forget how much of a frontseat the story takes over anything else. I kind of appreciate that more than I used to.

Offline Tad

« Reply #2654 on: December 13, 2015, 11:39:24 am »
Oh, okay. I get what you mean. It is nonsense, but great nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:56:02 am by Tad »