Author Topic: Sonic 2013 Speculation Thread  (Read 103789 times)

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: Sonic 2013 Speculation Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 10:43:59 pm »
Maybe a multiplayer Sonic platforming game similar to the Sonic Advance series? Those were fun times.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 12:18:38 am »
God I live for these announcements.  Ladies and Gentlemen, the season is almost upon us. 

Please let it be called

sonic & knuckles 2
or
Sonic the Hedgehog 5

No more of these weak sounding subtitles (colors, unleashed, generations, etc).  They lack conviction!

edit: woah woah woah.  Did I read that right?  They're planning to release this title for the new sony and microsoft consoles as well?  That seems a bit fucking crazy.  What is their infatuation with developing for as many consoles as possible at one time?  It's hard enough to make a great game while developing for ONE platform let alone EIGHT separate platforms.   

also 10 playable characters?  Fuck.  That. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:32:07 am by Radrappy »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:53 am »
http://segabits.com/blog/2013/01/23/rumor-sega-to-announce-new-sonic-game-very-soon/

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/01/rumour-sega-to-announce-new-sonic-game-next-month/

he console version of this new game will be sticking with the recent formula seen in Sonic Unleashed (Daytime), Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations where gameplay switches between full 3D movement and 2D side-scrolling sections.

Ugh... Why would you need to switch to 2D, at all? Can't they do 3D platforming properly? There were some short 3D platforming sequences in Generations and Unleashed, but they do not expand upon this at all...

They probably think the Unleashed formula is the "ideal" Sonic gameplay, and they won't change it very soon... Its not the ideal formula, pretty good? Yes, but there tons of ways they can improve upon it... One thing for sure, though... in a 3D platforming game... I want to platform in 3D... Else I'd go play a superior 2D platformer.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 04:25:58 am »
There's nothing wrong with having a bit of 2D platforming in there as well. Generations did it well imo.

I love the 10 characters bit, as long as the first playthrough of each level features Sonic.
The "new consoles" bit is expected really.. They may launch early next year, so plenty of time to concentrate on the current gen now and port it later for a quick buck.

jonboy,
Unleashed was developed at a time when Sonic Team was a living hell filled with internal conflict. I believe those days are gone.
SEG4GES

Offline Pao

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:26 am »
There's nothing wrong with having a bit of 2D platforming in there as well. Generations did it well imo.
There is nothing wrong with a "bit" of 2D platforming, but when 90% of the platforming in the game only happens at the 2D sections, that's when it becomes a problem.

And I don't think Generations did it well... Stages like Modern Sky Sanctuary and Modern Crisis City had some decent 3D platforming, but overall, the game was lacking in that area.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uh2NiC1Uc[/youtube]

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 06:57:41 am »
As we have talked here before, I believe that 3D platforming would be fully enjoyable if Sonic controlled differently at low speeds.
Unless they tweak the engine, a lot of 3D platforming would become frustrating.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:00 am »

Please let it be called

sonic & knuckles 2
or
Sonic the Hedgehog 5

Those would be some pretty bizarre choices for titles. I mean, this is the 3D series were talking about. The numbered games (Sonic 1,2,3,4) are entirely 2D. While Sonic 4 is quite different from 1-3, it is nowhere near as different as the 3D titles are from the originals, and Sonic 4 itself still follows many rules of the classics (entirely 2D, Zone/Act structure, special stages, emeralds, sign posts). Sonic the Hedgehog 5 would just be such an unfitting and strange choice. Sonic Adventure 3 would be far more fitting, even if I personally am not a fan of naming the next game SA3.

Sonic & Knuckles 2 would be just as strange as Sonic 5, for the same reasons listed above as well as the fact that S&K was essentially Sonic 3.5, so naming the next 3D title "Sonic & Knuckles 2" would imply that it is a sequel to a sequel which in-itself was an expansion to a sequel. That would be weirder than Final Fantasy X-2.   

Offline Pao

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 07:56:39 am »
As we have talked here before, I believe that 3D platforming would be fully enjoyable if Sonic controlled differently at low speeds.
Unless they tweak the engine, a lot of 3D platforming would become frustrating.
Which is why I said there is a lot to be improved upon... If its Generations/Unleashed with different levels I'd be very disappointed.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:01 am »
Sounds like a pretty standard Sonic game.

Still waiting for a a special hook either in the Artstyle or something else.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 11:29:24 am »
Those would be some pretty bizarre choices for titles. I mean, this is the 3D series were talking about. The numbered games (Sonic 1,2,3,4) are entirely 2D. While Sonic 4 is quite different from 1-3, it is nowhere near as different as the 3D titles are from the originals, and Sonic 4 itself still follows many rules of the classics (entirely 2D, Zone/Act structure, special stages, emeralds, sign posts). Sonic the Hedgehog 5 would just be such an unfitting and strange choice. Sonic Adventure 3 would be far more fitting, even if I personally am not a fan of naming the next game SA3.

Sonic & Knuckles 2 would be just as strange as Sonic 5, for the same reasons listed above as well as the fact that S&K was essentially Sonic 3.5, so naming the next 3D title "Sonic & Knuckles 2" would imply that it is a sequel to a sequel which in-itself was an expansion to a sequel. That would be weirder than Final Fantasy X-2.   

The fact that main entry games (sonic 1,2,3,4) MUST be entirely 2d is a load of baloney enforced only by the painfully mediocre Sonic 4.  Of course the megadrive games are entirely 2d.  I don't think it would be weird at all to name a new 3d entry sonic 5.  All I'm asking for is a continuation of something (be it Colors 2 or SA3) that demonstrates confidence in a brand name.  Although with 10 playable characters rumored, this could very well be Sonic Heroes 2.  Which is not what anyone wants.   

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30:14 pm »
Sonic Team will fuck it up. These things always start out great and wonderful, then we get the werehog.

Sonic Team have been really good for the past few year now. They're one of the few that stepped up their game in SOJ and I expect the new Sonic to be a great Sonic game and to look fabon the 360 and PS3
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:25 pm »
10 Playable characters? Wow this sounds like a train-wreck.

Haven't Sonic Team learnt that we hate that shit? Or is the furry army up in arms that they couldn't play as Jizz the Monkey in Sonic Generations?

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 04:22:18 pm »
10 Playable characters? Wow this sounds like a train-wreck.

Haven't Sonic Team learnt that we hate that shit? Or is the furry army up in arms that they couldn't play as Jizz the Monkey in Sonic Generations?

I laughed

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:26 am »
^me too
Which is why I said there is a lot to be improved upon... If its Generations/Unleashed with different levels I'd be very disappointed.
I guess you're right then..
SEG4GES