Author Topic: Street Fighter Short film from Streetlight Productions  (Read 10918 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Street Fighter Short film from Streetlight Productions
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »
Coming soon from Hollywood actors and producers is a film based on the canon storyline of... Street Fighter? I guess so! Its called Street Fighter Legacy, and its the product of Joey Ansah's disappointment with previous big-budget efforts. I'm sure he was as pleased to learn of M. Bison harnessing the power of electro magnets to fly as you were back in the day, so this actor/filmmaker decided to make an attempt at the Street Fighter franchise himself.

"As an actor, film maker and a fan, I have been repeatedly disappointed by the many diluted, un faithful and outright butchered movie adaptations of fighting video games. It was clear to me, that given the way the movie industry worked, we would never see a super faithful, darker toned and more adult themed (or just plain good!) incarnation of Street fighter unless a die-hard fan director or film-making team with the game canon knowledge, film making know how and connections stepped up to the plate to helm such a project.

So almost a year ago, I began writing treatments and a production design brief and partnered with Streetlight films before proposing my concept and vision to Capcom. I'm pleased to say they gave their blessing and permission for the project to move forward."

http://www.shoryuken.com/content.php?r= ... Short-Film

Anyway, here is the Short (very short) movie!
[youtube:1avpp9ws]h2ZXSzaUIBQ[/youtube:1avpp9ws]

And some more info from the creators:
"'Street Fighter-Legacy' a Streetlight Films production, co-directed by Joey Ansah and Owen Trevor, produced by Jacqueline Quella and stars Jon Foo as Ryu and Christian Howard as Ken.

'StreetFighter-Legacy' a liveaction short film fan project, based on the popular Capcom gaming franchise: Street Fighter. Officially endorsed by Capcom

StreetFighter Legacy has been a labour of love and passion project for its creator, Joey Ansah, who not only conceived and pitched the project, but also co-directed, co-wrote and choreographed it, alongside cameo'ing in the film. Collaborating, creative partner and long time friend Christian Howard was part of the project from day one, co-writing the script and story elements, as well as further down the line, storyboarding the film, being assistant fight choreographer and most importantly playing Ken Masters.

Streetlight repped Australian Director Owen Trevor came onboard to co-direct the film. His experience and style carried forward from shooting on 3 series of the acclaimed 'Top Gear' have really been an asset to the project and given it a strong visual flair."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Street Fighter Short film from Streetlight Productions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:46:17 pm »
I saw this earlier. It's pretty neat, I suppose, if not still a bit corny.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:49:06 pm »
I agree it's a bit corny in a lot of things, but it's hard to make a Fireball/Dragon Punch look not-corny on an indie film budget like that.

What I really like is that someone inside hollywood is actually a fan and is trying to make a better Street Fighter film by doing this. If nothing else he at least had Ryu speaking Japanese and some good/fitting fight choreography etc.

That three minutes is probably going to be better than the whole KOF movie that's coming out (with the possible exception of Vice and Mature lezzing out in the locker room scene).

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
I agree it's a bit corny in a lot of things, but it's hard to make a Fireball/Dragon Punch look not-corny on an indie film budget like that.
Dragonball: Evolution couldn't make "fireballs" look good, either. I'm thinking that it just shouldn't be done.

That three minutes is probably going to be better than the whole KOF movie that's coming out
Oh, without a doubt.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:03:24 pm »
I think to make a fireball look 'good' you just need to establish the movie's universe/setting as one where fireballs are possible. Like, if I was watching a superhero movie and someone started throwing flames around it could look cool. Problem is most of these fighting movies try to make everything look ultra-real and serious and then when plasma starts getting chucked about it's like 'WTF?'.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
That's actually the sort of reaction I had when I saw what the fireball looked like. It wasn't too good. But, whatever.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:18:26 pm »
I wasn't saying this film did it right either, I also think it looked a bit strange in this one. If they had the time/money to make a longer film though they might have done it differently.