Author Topic: Celebrate Sega packaging  (Read 6533 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Celebrate Sega packaging
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:13:34 am »
One of the things Sega stood apart from the rest was their packaging.
From the Master system onwards Sega at least in the west had some of the best packaging compared to their competitors. The plastic book case was always a great way to sheild your games from any potential harm. Its proberly why so many MD and MS even Saturn games work today compared to their counterparts.
What do you guys think of the way Sega use to package their games?
Which is your all time fave?
I have to say it was the Master system packaging style..they were never hard to miss..they kinda jumped out at you even though some of them did have crummy art the overall dsign of the white squares and the case with the Sega logo was to me a classic compared to the other packages that followed on other Sega systems.
The worse has to be DC and even Saturn..The Saturn package a plastic CD case could break easily and the DC one was flimsy if you weren't careful with it too.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Celebrate Sega packaging
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:46:34 am »
Seeing as I work in the graphic design industry, and have dabbled in package design, I've always had a keen interest in SEGA's package design and graphics. I've wanted to write more about it on the front page, but haven't worked out how I'd go about writing about it.

Great topic! I'd have to say that physically, the clam shell cases were genius. When I go to retro shops, 90% of the NES, SNES and N64 games are cartridge only - whereas the Master System and Genesis games are usually a 50/50 split between boxed and loose. Even 32X games, which were crappy cardboard, are found boxed if only because I'm sure SEGA owners were so used to keeping their boxes that when the 32X and late Genesis releases went for the cardboard, they kept them complete thanks to the plastic cases.

The worst would have to be the Saturn and SEGA CD releases in the US. Those cases are crap. Too big and brittle. CD and Saturn are total shelf hogs. The one positive is more room for boxart.

Dreamcast's CD cases were rather small and plain (physically) but they are great for collecting. Whereas a dozen Saturn games fill a shelf, I can store over 25 Dreamcast games on the same shelf. It's a shame that the competition at the time all used DVD cases which dwarfed the Dreamcast at stores. I sort of wish SEGA went with white DVD cases.

---

Design-wise:

Master System (US and UK): I love the Master System design. The white background and silver grid served as a great backdrop for the eye popping graphics. Sure some box art was rather bland, but once they started using more detailed art, it really looked great. The white cases with red and black text really complimented the console, and the carts looked great when in the machine.

Bland: http://segaretro.org/images/8/8c/FantasyZone_SMS_US_cover.jpg
http://segaretro.org/images/6/6f/Quartet_SMS_US_cover.jpg

AWESOME: http://segaretro.org/images/d/d2/RType_SMS_US_Box.jpg
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/b/b5/Sonic1ms-box-eu.jpg

Genesis: Given how long the Genesis was supported, it's understandable that they changed it up for the package design. I'm split. I like the black grid, makes it feel like an evolution of the Master System design, but the red cases were so eye catching and I loved how they color coded their software (red=Genesis, blue=sega cd, white=saturn, purple=game gear, yellow=32X). I'd probably go with the red diagonal stripes as my preferred design choice. Simply awesome.

SEGA CD: As mentioned, I loved the color coded uniform design. Even in the plastic long boxes, the games still felt a part of the same family as the Genesis and 32X.

Game Gear: Crappy cardboard cases, but I liked the uniform design again. Not sure purple was a fitting color for the Game Gear though. I only have one Game Gear game box, wish I had more. They're so damn hard to come across.

Saturn: Again, crappy box but good design. Like the Master System, we had white package design but a black console. Though, I never felt that the US Saturn games complimented the console. They just didn't match up.

Dreamcast: For a console that was only around for 18 months, I'm surprised that they went through a package redesign. The Genesis had 6 years, that redesign made sense. But the Dreamcast really should have stuck with the white cases. They matched the console, even replicating the orange triangle. I guess, though, that the switch to black was to compete with the PS2 to appear more edgy. I've considered reorganizing my collection, because 100+ games look like a zebra. I think I'd prefer to separate the white and black cases (I'm not a racist).

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:57:19 am »
I've mentioned before that I love the Master System packaging art direction.  I think the whole design and narrative tone of that line was influenced to a large degree by the necessity of re-introducing video games to the retailers as something more sophisticated than the previous era, which devolved into a market completely oversaturated by gaudy shovelware. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best kind of aesthetic to appeal to a userbase that was still primarily young boys... it looks more like something that could fit in at an upscale cafe next to the New Yorker magazine.

I'm also one of the few defenders of the earliest SMS box art, like the ones Barry considers bland. ;) I think it's a significant and bold design decision, because the games' graphics actually exceed the rather symbolic/iconic "doodles" of the box design. Previously companies like Atari utilized phenomenal, movie poster-style box art for games whose graphics were very rudimentary. So in turning that around, Sega really emphasized the quantum leap in graphical power that had occurred. But, I also think the later SMS box art with the much more elaborate illustrations is cool, too.

It's also interesting to check out the Japanese Master System box art. Although the cartridge box art still carried over the design established by the Mark III, the hardware was updated with a style very similar to the Western SMS aesthetic. They varied it, though, with diagonal text and some subtle background halftone underlays of the the same text at a larger scale, and it looks fantastic. Sophisticated and dynamic.

The SMS box designs kept being updated every year. The terminology changed as well... beginning with a change from "The Mega Cartridge" for example, to "A Mega Cartridge," to finally dropping the memory designation as a callout feature. The fonts changed over time, too, and finally the silver grid was replaced (I assume to save money) with just a halftone grey. The result is a variety of choices/dilemmas for collectors who want to display their SMS library. (I'm the type of person who is vaguely bothered that Spy vs. Spy is the only Sega Card that breaks the style of the others.) The Brazilian TecToy box art carried on the original design style seemingly throughout the lifespan of the system there. So maybe the art director at TecToy had a similar kind of preference of wanting to see a library with a completely consistent design.

Lastly, the narrative tone of the copy on the backs of the earliest boxes... "It's like nothing you've ever seen before. You've got to read it. And react with lightning reflexes. Because the fate of the universe depends on you. And you alone." It seems like it should be read over a glass of fine wine.

I also like the early Genesis box designs. The inversion from white to black really differentiated the systems, and the grid kept a sense of lineage. Putting full color logos on the covers and spines was a good move. The only thing I didn't like as much was the use of whatever that narrow, Helvetica-like font is on the back. It just looks a bit cheaper compared to the serif font used on SMS boxes. I'm not as big a fan of the red box redesign. It looks pretty good, but I don't think it was really necessary.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:04:54 am by Centrale »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:43:41 am »
Seeing as I work in the graphic design industry, and have dabbled in package design, I've always had a keen interest in SEGA's package design and graphics. I've wanted to write more about it on the front page, but haven't worked out how I'd go about writing about it.

Well you should in my opinion. I don't think Sega takes enough credit in that side of things and they were obviously the template to how modern game titles package their games these days..most of the xbox/ps2 onwards are obviously based on how Sega packaged the saturn titles. Even down to the colour coded boxes.

I'm also one of the few defenders of the earliest SMS box art, like the ones
Barry considers bland. I think it's a significant and bold design decision,
because the games' graphics actually exceed the rather symbolic/iconic "doodles"
of the box design. Previously companies like Atari utilized phenomenal, movie
poster-style box art for games whose graphics were very rudimentary. So in
turning that around, Sega really emphasized the quantum leap in graphical power
that had occurred. But, I also think the later SMS box art with the much more
elaborate illustrations is cool, too.

Yeah i get the point but they were bland when you compare them to their japanese counterparts. Some of the art is just a doodle like the artist couldn't be bothered with it.
Of course i hated some of the american art for some MD games especially SHINING FORCE compared to the art from the japanese versions..
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:45:40 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:49 am »
Case wise the Pal  Mega CD cases were the best imo

Cover wise I love the simplistic art and checkbook background for the Pal Master System games

I also loved the high quality full colour scans on the Japnese Mega CD games too
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:36:16 pm »
Yeah SEGA packaging.

SMS/MarkIII. The NES/Famicom had small cassette tape boxes and thus was the trend. SEGA had this in Japan as well. They also had plastic cases ( like the ones you break open to get to the creamy filling ) but the boxes was beautiful.

I am not a Supporter of the SMS west cases. They just gave some artists some jobs. Only a few of the artists actually did anything worth mentioning. It was dull, boring and bland. SEGA of Japan mimiced this and used the cases with the MD/Genesis. But then it happend again.

MD/Genesis. In Japan they had cheap garbage minimalist artwork. More about design then illustrations. Meanwhile in the west. My god; just staring at a genesis box art bring tears to eyes. They even hold up against SNES boxes. Which I would just rip through to get to the creamy filling.
Nothing can ever touch a Genesis boxart. Some MD games do beat this.

About SEGA CD. I like the big boxes but it was a design flaw. Looks cool and futuristic but does not work logically. Again I love them.

About regular CD cases. Meh the PSX owned in this area. The Saturn/Mega-CD/PCE/Dreamcast was just regular CD cases. They are quite different through time and release. THE ONLY GOOD THING I CAN SAY IS THE CASES ARE BETTER THEN MOST GENERIC CD CASES FOR MUSIC. These things break they break and do their job. Keep the game safe.

About petrolium/Acrylic etc DVD cases. The cases are garbage. They do their job and depending on how the cases are built can break easily or not. The Gamecube are probably the best around next to special bound cases. Official DVD cases vary. Again I am talking about dropping the case down or slamming it down with an disc inside of it. PS2 cases are garbage; but again it depends on release and how the case it done. 360 cases shows how cheap game cases have become. They do their job but do not really guard against the weather.

Genesis cases own only next to Japanese computer cases. Those things back then makes you feel happy. The cases snap in place and have extra hard ( special plastic/ almost look like hempt or it was made by hand??? ). Nothing beats cases that are made indivisually.

Genesis cases vs DVD/VCD cases from China. Speaking of graphic design/illustration ( my original major intent ); if you ever had the pleasure of actually building a book, or box from scratch ( which is annoying and hard but fun to have ) you can checkout how DVD/VCD cases from China region were made. These things are work of arts; and can take a few hits here and their. When I print my games I might do something like that. It puts everybody to shame. The only problem is with enough force you could damage the case and reveal the cardboard inside. That is something people do not know. Some cases have cardboard material to alternate for wood and also be NON-HAZARDOUS MATERIALS that is safe around children. Also the cases can be made by hand via factory using alternating materials. Again strong like the rubbery/plastic materials.

Japanese PC game releases  > Genesis cases > Chinese VCD set > DVD special > GCN > etc boxes > CD cases.

I like CD casings but it is annoying when stuff happens and your discs have an 1n1 chance of breaking. For cassette medium/flash/PCB this is not bad. CD-case types also give it that glassy glare as well. Shine grass hopper shine.