Author Topic: Politics  (Read 47235 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Politics
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2017, 07:20:17 am »
It's probably nothing, but here in Britain a recent poll suggests the Labour party have really caught up and it's almost neck and neck between the Tories now.

Offline Tad

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:18 pm »
The germans are taking Trump's recent choice well.
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/870532722237853697

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2017, 06:23:00 am »
The germans are taking Trump's recent choice well.
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/870532722237853697

From one of my favorite writers too.  :D
Be like water.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2017, 01:14:19 pm »
I sure hope all the people on this site from the U.K. are safe. Tad?

Offline Tad

« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2017, 01:35:10 pm »
I'm good thanks. I don't live anywhere near the attacks. The attacks have triggered more security as expected and even in work they're training us up on new measures, but that's it.

I'm just tried of them all now really. Paris, US, UK, Germany, wherever, I'm just sick of them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 04:45:40 pm by Tad »

Offline Tad

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2017, 08:33:12 am »
Voting day. No doubt we're looking at a Tory win which almost renders this entire election pointless. I say almost as we've now seen just how hopeless the current Tory team are and the likely outcomes for leaving the EU and the UK's future.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2017, 11:08:48 am »
Corncerned how the Tories will team up with the DUP to be honest.

Glad Labours put a lot of fight in the campaign to reduce the majority but I fear it will not be enough should the Tories fail and we are put into another election.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Tad

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:27 am »
I don't even know where to begin with the mess that currently is British politics. The Tories through their media attacked Corbyn for having friends in Ireland and potentially making a coalition of chaos with the Lib dems/SNP etc. Now the Tories plan has backfired they're having to jump into bed with...an Irish party and with that comes chaos. The irony.

So, as things stand, this new Tory gov will have to do this:

Negotiate with the DUP to form a gov
Negotiate every policy the Tories want with the DUP
Negotiate polices the DUP want with the Tories
Somehow keep the peace with the rest of Ireland
Negotiate with the EU
Negotiate with the DUP about Brexit
As they've lost seats, struggle to get anything through parliament (not a bad thing mind)
At some point, a new leader for the Tories as May's lost too much.
At some point, a new election too.

Sounds fun, huh?

Meanwhile, the markets are shaky and the pound is quickly becoming known as the British Peso for being so weak. All this just because of a lying campaign to get us out of the EU. The pathetic thing is, we could really do with all the parties coming together to sort this out, but because they're too tribal, they won't. The easiest answer for the Tories and for the UK is for them to resign from power, but they won't. They're too thick and greedy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:44:16 am by Tad »

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2017, 09:19:47 pm »
Why does the UKIP exist if they don't ever win any elections?

Offline Tad

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2017, 01:47:07 am »
If you can afford the "entrance fee" anyone can try to get elected. You don't have to even be a party and can stand as an independant. Some do it for a laugh too mind. In the last election, we had Elmo, a party called Monster Raving loony and Lord Buckethead going against Prime Minister May: http://cdn.revistagq.com/uploads/images/thumbs/es/gq/4/s/2017/23/lord_buckethead_3375_680x378.jpg

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2017, 10:56:00 am »
If you can afford the "entrance fee" anyone can try to get elected. You don't have to even be a party and can stand as an independant. Some do it for a laugh too mind. In the last election, we had Elmo, a party called Monster Raving loony and Lord Buckethead going against Prime Minister May: http://cdn.revistagq.com/uploads/images/thumbs/es/gq/4/s/2017/23/lord_buckethead_3375_680x378.jpg

You forgot Fishfinger Head went up against Farron!

I think the Lib Dems severely weakened themselves from the last Coalition to even be seen as a force ever again.

Despite the youth vote helping Labour, they still were 40+ seats off of a weakened Tory cabinet, so I fear that Labour need to try and snatch those Tory voters somehow in the countryside constitutions.

Although I personally don't trust Labour or the Tories, I would rather have a Labour government based on my families needs (I'm a Green Voter which sadly doesn't mean much in the UK).
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Tad

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2017, 02:04:08 pm »
Ah, yes. Mr.Fish Finger hehe. I doubt we'll ever see a coalition again in a while after the last one being so unfairly damaging to the Lib Dems. As Paddy Ashdown said, "no party will put the country first again if this is how they'll be treated." If we fast forward to now, we can see he was right. Not one of big parties would do it and even the DUP deal is policy by policy instead.

Sadly, the fight will always be between Labour and the Tories unless we get rid of our current voting system of FPTP. AV or PR would be better. I think the greens are slowly going to die now mind. The world has no choice but to change and apart from America/Trump, we are really.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:06:27 pm by Tad »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2017, 11:24:44 am »
The United States of America will not last as a country if we have some of the worst healthcare in the world.

U.S. doctors are limited to what they can do because of American health insurance companies.

The lawyers have only made things worse because of how many Americans are in love with lawsuits. It does not need to be a win or lose for either party. We should come together as a country and find a solution for these disasterous healthcare plans.

None of all the last few recent U.S. presidents have understood this.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2017, 05:16:29 am »
People act out emotionally, not stopping to think things through.  It pisses off both the accusers of racism or homophobia and the ones who are accused of being racist or homophobic, it ends up just making it worse.  Identity politics is bullshit.  The only time people are portrayed poorly in the media these days is because of political satire they themselves brought about by acting that way in the first place.  It creates stereotypes they claim are not true.  It's gotten so out of hand that all of it may as well be satire.  Everyone is a special little snowflake.
Be like water.

Offline Tad

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2017, 04:19:09 pm »
The way we've built a society is pretty stupid when you think about it. I mean, take a look at university.

People spend thousands to go to uni and hope they pass, then hope they can find a job that's good but also pays enough to pay that uni debt off...and these people are suppose to be seen as smart?

You can join the army at 16, but you can't buy a horror/violent film or cod till you're 18...

We have a planet crying out for renewable energy to take over, yet fracking and other known dangerous energy is still a thing.

We have cycle lanes on a road...right next to bus's, lorries and other motors capable of travelling at high speeds.

We created mobile phones and social media to stay in touch with people we know...yet, when they're in the room, we're too busy playing on our phones or on social media.

Drugs are awful and can destroy your life, but booze is considered safe...

People spend hundreds on under flooring heating to do the job a pair of slippers can do.

We're quite werid, really haha.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:44:17 pm by Tad »