Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm and announces new Star Wars movies  (Read 22158 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Disney buys Lucasfilm and announces new Star Wars movies
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:36:33 pm »

The Walt Disney Company announced today it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm and is planning Star Wars Episode 7 for 2015! In a conference call, Disney revealed that they are planning a new trilogy starting in 2015 with a new movie coming every other year. This is following such big purchases as Pixar and Marvel Entertainment.

Source: SuperHeroHype.com

I'm sorry... Wha... I don't understand... I can't seem to process this information properly...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:38:14 pm by max_cady »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm and announces new Star Wars movies
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:09 pm »
I've been thinking about it for a couple of hours now.. Still can't get my head around the fact that there will be 3 more Star Wars movies. I feel I'll wake up any moment now.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:55 am »
It's been planned to have 9 movies for quite some time now.

I reckon they'll be shit.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:39:58 am »
Its always been planned as a 9 part trilogy from the very beginning. The final part of the movie ending will supposed to have Luke Skywalker returning to pass down his lightsaber to the next "new hope". This deal though kind of suggests that there might be more after the ninth movie. Really considering how low the prequels were is it anything to get excited about? And the worrying development of Disney buying up all the family jewels like Pixar, Muppets,Marvel and now Lucasfilm,  i'm worried that they may have their eye on a particular video game company to complete the "set".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:43:44 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:58:12 am »
I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Probably more into it than SEGA and Sonic, to be honest.

This is big news indeed.

At first, I was crushed. Then I thought about how much I love Pixar and how great the Marvel movies have become. Now I'm feeling positive about this. For starters, Kathleen Kennedy is now the new president of Lucasfilm. This woman was a huge influence on many of Spielberg's films including Indiana Jones.

As for the Sequel Trilogy, as I've started to call it, I'm leaning towards positive. Let me just say that I love the OT and am a big PT fan. Yup! I really like the prequels. Episode I, while flawed, has many of my favorite PT moments. Episode II is a lot of fun for me: the Fetts, the whole Geonosis battle, Christopher Lee. Episode III is better than ROTJ in my eyes, which is a big accomplishment.

To be honest, there is a HUGE prequel fanbase. Head on over to TheForce.net forums or attend any Star Wars Celebration, Disney Star Wars Fan Days or listen to any episode of the Forcecast podcast. People who hate the prequels and think that everybody else does are dead wrong. If Star Wars was dead to you in '83, then honestly get the fuck out of the franchise. It's not for you anymore, but it is DEFINITELY for thousands if not millions of other people.

So now comes the sequel trilogy. Lucas has had story outlines for a few years now, according to him, and he will sit down with a team of writers to craft the scripts. As The Clone Wars series has proven, Lucas with the overarching plot ideas, and hired writers is a match made in heaven. So quality scripts/dialogue for the sequel trilogy are far more possible than what the PT gave us. Despite how much I like the PT, I concede that the dialogue was the weakest aspect.

If the scripts are quality, the story has a reason to be told and expands on the Skywalker mythos, actors return including Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Fucking Ford then my body is ready. Spielberg has always wanted to direct a movie, and he even guest directed on Episode III, so he is my top pick for ep 7. John Williams might not be in it for all three, but he can surely compose ep 7 and set some themes in place for the next two movies.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:57 am »

Please Disney, stop buying popular things....whether you ruin them or not, it's Monopolising the Market, McDonald's Style.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 12:30:21 pm »
I'm a huge Star Wars fan. Probably more into it than SEGA and Sonic, to be honest.

This is big news indeed.

At first, I was crushed. Then I thought about how much I love Pixar and how great the Marvel movies have become. Now I'm feeling positive about this. For starters, Kathleen Kennedy is now the new president of Lucasfilm. This woman was a huge influence on many of Spielberg's films including Indiana Jones.

As for the Sequel Trilogy, as I've started to call it, I'm leaning towards positive. Let me just say that I love the OT and am a big PT fan. Yup! I really like the prequels. Episode I, while flawed, has many of my favorite PT moments. Episode II is a lot of fun for me: the Fetts, the whole Geonosis battle, Christopher Lee. Episode III is better than ROTJ in my eyes, which is a big accomplishment.

To be honest, there is a HUGE prequel fanbase. Head on over to TheForce.net forums or attend any Star Wars Celebration, Disney Star Wars Fan Days or listen to any episode of the Forcecast podcast. People who hate the prequels and think that everybody else does are dead wrong. If Star Wars was dead to you in '83, then honestly get the fuck out of the franchise. It's not for you anymore, but it is DEFINITELY for thousands if not millions of other people.

So now comes the sequel trilogy. Lucas has had story outlines for a few years now, according to him, and he will sit down with a team of writers to craft the scripts. As The Clone Wars series has proven, Lucas with the overarching plot ideas, and hired writers is a match made in heaven. So quality scripts/dialogue for the sequel trilogy are far more possible than what the PT gave us. Despite how much I like the PT, I concede that the dialogue was the weakest aspect.

If the scripts are quality, the story has a reason to be told and expands on the Skywalker mythos, actors return including Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Fucking Ford then my body is ready. Spielberg has always wanted to direct a movie, and he even guest directed on Episode III, so he is my top pick for ep 7. John Williams might not be in it for all three, but he can surely compose ep 7 and set some themes in place for the next two movies.
All the prequels were crap. The key moments when they needed to really sell a moment of Star Wars lore like Anankin's turning and the battle on mustafa was ruined by that Hayden's guy inability to act a decent scene. The only people that carried the movies was christopher lee(with criminially limited screen time) The guy who played Jango fett and Ian(The Emperor) Mcdirmand. And they were really let down by a terrible story and dialouge but they still shined in the peices of sh*t that were the prequels.  Everything else was basically rubbish or worse look like a video game rather than a Star Wars movie. All this ROTJ bashing is just copying from what that movie Clerks was taking the fun of. Jedi is a much better movie than all the three prequels combined, because with some of the nonsense elements in jedi it still took itself seriously and felt like a real Star Wars movie than any of the prequels combined.
I take your point about the tv shows but really they should have been the movies we saw and not the spin offs. I've no doubt that people will see the next film but if everyone is expecting to see the old cast again, its not going to happen. A lot of people were expecting stuff from the prequels and it never happened. So why expect it now.
As for Pixar and marvel, they became great before Disney got their hands on them, now with the newer Pixar movies like brave and sequels to cars and monsters Inc they're not so progressive like they were before they were brought by Disney. The Muppets is different that apparently had a good film from what i was told and the Marvel stuff is a wait and still. I'm not gonna shake disney's hand just yet until we see how the other film brands do under their control but so far with a lackluster Pixar output, it doesn't look good.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:37:06 pm »
This is all opinion though. I can't contest your opinion that you think they're crap, since thats what you think and I think differently. I loved the prequels, so really there isn't much else for us to say on that matter.

I'd much rather discuss the future of Lucasfilm than personal opinions on the first six films.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »
Even though Marvel's comic line was always lacking compared to DC's, they have gotten a 'bit' better since the Disney buyout. The Marvel Now 'reboots' are a great idea and the summer event of AVX was pretty good (most people hated it, I thought it was handled great).

Their movies are being slammed out the park with Marvel Studios and they have slowly improved their cartoons.

If this what the future has in store for Star Wars, color me excited.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »
This is all opinion though. I can't contest your opinion that you think they're crap, since thats what you think and I think differently. I loved the prequels, so really there isn't much else for us to say on that matter.

I'd much rather discuss the future of Lucasfilm than personal opinions on the first six films.

Not just my opinion though, compared to the OT, they are crap. But i was judging them as films on their own merits and they are flawed. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed the Sith film. All i'm saying was that key moments in the film could have easily been better. Not saying your opinion is lesser than mine either i'm stating a reason which you had done previously, that's what a discussion is meant to be about. ::) So i wasn't blindly rubbishing the film or your opinion on liking them. As for the six films well that's the sole reason Disney brought lucasfilm in the first place so its hard not to talk about them.

As for marvel well they usually have a year in advance to work on that type of stuff so i dunno if Disney actually had an influence on them at all. Hope they did

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »
Yeah, because in the OT the actors were so good and believable.

/lies
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 05:19:24 pm »
I should probably point out I'm not really a Star Wars fan, I haven't seen the original trilogy in years and years and I've only seen the prequels once each I think.
I used to love SW when I was younger but then I really fell out of it.

Maybe I'll pick up some on BRD and re-watch them soonish.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
My body wasn't ready for that news either.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 05:39:28 pm »
This bickering is pointless!

---

Discussing ep 7, here are a few guesses I'll make:

• 3P0 and R2 are in the movie. They have been a constant throughout the saga and they just have to return for it to be a true Star Wars movie.

• The movie will take place 30 years after ROTJ, Luke will be one of the first characters we see

• We'll see Luke on Coruscant in the Jedi Temple

• Leia is on the senate or is the leader of the senate

• The line "I have a bad feeling about this." is somewhere in the script

Offline max_cady

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »
Like I said, I don't really know what to say about this... I'm kinda mulling over it, Marvel has won big time with Disney buying them out.

With Lucasfilms, it's a whole different matter... Lucasfilm is an indie company that colaborated with a lot of other studios (namely 20th Century Fox and Paramount). It'll be pretty strange to see all the Indy movies and Star Wars films without the Disney logo on 'em.

But the thing that gets to me is that... whenever there's something like this, an aquisition, in the back of my mind there's that voice going:

Someone is going to get the short end of the stick;
-or-
What are they going to cancel and what deals are going to fall apart?

Both issues are messy...

Before this aquisition, there's a Star Wars video game, Star Wars 1313, which I assume will remain untouched.
The Clone Wars TV show, I hope it survives the change, because it's something that I'm quite invested in atm.
Both Attack of The Clones and Revenge of the Sith are scheduled for a re-release in 3D by 20th Century Fox, don't know what's going to happen should they decide to release the rest of the saga in 3D. 
[youtube]http://youtu.be/xUbH1SEsqiE[/youtube]
Damn I wish Vader would force choke the people who made "It's a Small World".