Author Topic: The 'what do you do for a living?' thread.  (Read 23701 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: The 'what do you do for a living?' thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 09:18:21 am »
Still in college trying to finish my Software Engeneering. Only 2 classes left and the final college project. To get my Bacherolate degree.

I'm trying to work with a e-commerce CMS solution for a company that needs a website for customers to purchase their items.

A bit of a pain in the neck, but as long as my report is in perfect shape, I should finish this project.

But can I be honest? I wish had found a job after finishing High School first then went to College. Not waste 5 years of my life and still not have any working experience.

The only thing remotely close to a job I had was being my dad's errand boy/secretary, but that was before he retired.

@Upsidedown Fuji

You know, if things worked out differently I would also consider teaching english at a private institution.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 10:12:30 am »
Aki:  I just went through an energy rebate program where I upgraded my house and got $7000 back from the State.  I put blown-in cellulose insulation in the attic, replaced the garage door with a new vinyl one, replaced the front door, put in 2 triple-pane windows, a fuel economizer on the boiler, changed out the fans with humidistat-controlled ones, and rigid-foam insulation around the concrete-block perimeter of the garage.  

Fuji:  Is that the Jet program?  I lived in Japan for 3 months and went to Edmonds Community College Japan Campus in Kobe.  I was there in 1995 during the Earthquake.  I almost considered doing the Jet program after I came back, but then I met the person who is now my wife.  It wouldn't have been cool to drag her to Japan, since she was in graduate school to be a therapist.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 10:50:19 am »
Book artist, (two published so far but both books suck!)
Attempting to write my own book (very slowly)

and looking into other forms of 'art' like sculpting and making 'things' out of wood, clay maybe cards... etc... because theres not a lot f work for what i do in the island.

Really I'm at that 'not sure what i want to do' cross road where I'm trying lots of things but I want to 'create' things.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »
Guess who just lost their job!?

GAME OVER YEAH!

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 04:42:26 pm »
Holy shit, your boss reads Sega Bits.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 06:23:23 pm »
Quote from: "Orta"
While that would be funny, it's completely unrelated. It's been coming for a few months now (Through no fault of my own I should add)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:27 pm »
Sorry to hear bout that dude :/
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 07:01:19 pm »
Dude, I though you were joking back there. Wow, that really bites. Hope you find another job soon.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 04:34:07 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Quote from: "Orta"
While that would be funny, it's completely unrelated. It's been coming for a few months now (Through no fault of my own I should add)

Wow, you weren't kidding. Sorry about that.  :|

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:33 am »
Don't sweat it guys, I'll be fine! :afroman:

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
His boss (Mick Dundee) read the site and tried to pull a BUUUUURNING HAMMER on him, but Mang came out on top with a pin, so it was vice [spoiler:22acnez1]and mature.[/spoiler:22acnez1]

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 04:52:20 am »
Hmm

Right so, im currently at college, doing film production... i make music videos etc for local bands, recently did some work with Coca Cola and the young business person of the year awards etc. going to university in September two years later then most people my age (I did two college courses in Media Production and Media Studies)

Besides that, I work in a clothes shop, we sell clothes to fat women and old women, occasionally fat old women.

on the odd occasion (very odd) I help at a friends comedy bar... basically being a bridge between comedy acts and taking the piss out of men twice my size and age.

And I write film reviews for numerous sites and a college paper type thing, I also run the website for my current college course, moderate the forum on the site and help the first year students get to know people who can help them in there videos etc..

Besides that, I sit on my bum watch movies and eat nachos... oh, and occasionally come on the internet to talk about sex.

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the age thing, I was 19 When I started and there were people aged mid 20's up to 70 (Although George was the only 70 year old!) on my course.

What course are you looking at doing?
I did Contemporary Lens Media which is basically Photography, Video and Animation. We did very little film studying however, apart from the obligatory Warhol films and of course Dali's Un Chien Andalou

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:45 am »
Im doing film production, however during my interview the guy also offered me a place on the newspaper and tv station... so that was pretty cool.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »
I am happy to report that I got a job in a company that deals with Wine exports, they also do web design as another side of their bussiness(that is, the export company deals with a lot of wine producers who also want a website to show their products, so that's where I come in).
The company largely deals with exporting wine(white and red) to good ol'USA(Iowa seems to be our biggest customer) and Poland.
I'm currently working as a web administrator(updating the company's main website), web designer and warehouse clerk (they're short on staff, so obviously somebody's got to shuffle those pallets and prepare them for dispatch).

I've been doing it for almost a month now... and it feels great!

Funny how it works,what I was mostly afraid of, turned out to be the thing that filled that personal void I've felt for years since I started college.