Author Topic: The 'what do you do for a living?' thread.  (Read 23621 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: The 'what do you do for a living?' thread.
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 07:02:47 pm »
(in the neighborhood of $45 a hour)

Whaaa...? Anyway, my contract got officially renewed 2 weeks ago and August is generally a very low key month, me and the boss are working on a lot of web projects right now.
The corporate website had to be taken down, because there was a security breach (how I have come to hate that little thing called SQL Local File Injection), right now all we have is a nice placeholder image will we do our thing behind the control panel.

We will get back to that as soon as we finish the other assignments.

PHP is freakin' sweet!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »
@Max Cady

I wouldn't mind having a job like yours. Sounds fun.

Web Design and then to get a break from web design you get to go move stuff around =P it's good to take breaks like that from the computer.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:38 pm »
Whaaa...? Anyway, my contract got officially renewed 2 weeks ago and August is generally a very low key month, me and the boss are working on a lot of web projects right now.
The corporate website had to be taken down, because there was a security breach (how I have come to hate that little thing called SQL Local File Injection), right now all we have is a nice placeholder image will we do our thing behind the control panel.

We will get back to that as soon as we finish the other assignments.

PHP is freakin' sweet!

Yeah I know, he said the next lowest quote was $80 a hour so I figured what the hell. My cousin is a legit Computer Scientist, but through college did freelance IT work and said the normal rate he charged was the 30-50 range depending on what they wanted. I've heard of legit people charging up to $120 though. Shocking.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2011, 05:04:28 pm »
My job can be quite interesting sometimes, in the same week, I can be managing an entire backoffice for a couple of hours, then a few hours later I'm working through a shipment that has to be done by Friday. It kinda keeps me on edge, because I'm never stuck for too long doing one thing.

And it helped a lot. I sleep better, don't eat as much junk food as I used too and I lost a lot of weight (I was wearing pants the equivalent of a size 14 and I've dropped two sizes). Shame about my hair loss, seems to be the curse of any software engineer.

Offline Toggi3

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »
max_candy: I took the route you didnt take, just went right to work and still no real traction on getting a degree.  Not sure what comes out better to be honest, I see a mix of both in the tech world, but having a degree certainly improves the range of options you have if your employer is picky.

I work as a datacenter technician at a local datacenter at the moment, but hope to make specifically web hosting, or some type of hosted services, my full time career.  I dont really program save for some Python and PHP, and markup for web.  I mainly am a systems and network guy.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:20:29 pm by Toggi3 »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2011, 10:50:33 pm »
Well, statiscally it's difficult to handle a college degree and a job at the same time. I'm one class away from getting a degree in software engeneering. Having said that, even after finishing college, it still won't be easy.

And yeah, I'm somewhere along those lines with many of the Joomla-based web projects I'm assigned, other than a little bit of PHP, MySQL and mostly CSS, I barely touch any other code whatsoever. I feel like I wasted my time learning C#.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2011, 07:09:58 am »
Have I not gloated posted here yet?

I am a graphic designer for a local University. Specifically, a private for-profit company that runs the Online Learning portion of the school. Basically, we rope in the students and provide the tools, the school takes in the students and hooks the teachers up to the online interface.

I enjoy it, we have our ups and downs. Business is steady, and growing, but for a stretch of a year things were sort of blah. My boss wasn't around and my boss's boss didn't get things done. But restructuring led to a new boss's boss who doesn't like my boss, and he listens to us as designers much more and gets things done super quick.

It's in-house stuff, so the imagery and brand doesn't change as much as an ad agency, but it is much more stable than an agency and they do profit sharing, so ca-ching!

I also do freelance stuff, but this year has been rather dry. Usually I do DVD cover designs for AMC and Showtime and print design for a managers association's yearly conferences.   

Two of my Showtime DVD designs are still for sale online. Buy them so they hire me to make more: http://showtime.seenon.com/?v=showtime_dvds_dvds&spid=1178
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:12:32 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »
This will be the last week of the year for exports. Logistics and transportation will be shut down till January.

So we're back to doing web related content:

If you guys don't mind me plugging this, it's my pride and joy:

http://sensiwine.pt/en/

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2011, 06:17:27 pm »
I don't know if I've ever replied here..

I'm an university student of Physics Engineering.
I study at Faculdade Ciencias e Tecnologia - Universidade Nova de Lisboa.

It's hard. Very hard.
It has been going well up until now, though this semester is about to kick me in the balls.
I'm not a very good "student", but I get steady grades with relative ease. I just love to learn stuff, but there is so much to do and worry over that I usually end up rushing through the courses.

This week is what I usually call a Death Week. I had a mammoth presentation that went well, have 3 tests (one critical), and have to design a water pump due next Wednesday.

It's rewarding to succeed, but sometimes it sucks me in and makes me gloomy.
But today I'm extremely confident, and tomorrow I will NAIL those motherfuckers. :)
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:35 am »
I wonder what are the ups and downs of working as a self-employed man versus working under someone else in a company...