Author Topic: SEGAbits Official Politics Thread 2011  (Read 26027 times)

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGAbits Official Politics Thread 2011
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »
Quote from: "max_cady"
This isn't exactly a major news item, so to speak, but the citizens don't want elected officials that are pervs and cheating on their wives through social networks. When you're in public office, you basically expect them to act like saints.

It's happened to Mark Foley, John Edwards and others...

But that is the thing, it was the corporate media and the republicans and democrats that pressured him out, over 2/3 of his constituents wanted him to remain in office according to polling. He should have. There was no outcry from voters for him to leave office, and primarily because of a very good voting record that was very pro-middle class.

Furthermore, John Edwards had a child with another woman outside of his marriage whilst his wife was dying from a cancer. Furthermore, he used campaign funds to support the situation, which is an actual violation of the law. Foley solicited sex from men who didn't reciprocate advances and actually complained about him, meaning there was a civil case of sexual harassment there, and that's breaking of the law.

Furthermore, Foley ran on a catholic family values platform, he promoted himself as anti-gay, and anti-abortion (amongst other catholic values). So he lied to voters. Anthony Wiener at no point ran on a Christian, or religious, family values platform.

@Soup, agreed

Quote from: "George"
Quote from: "TaroYamada"
Anthony Wiener shouldn't have resigned; And Bump!
Yeah, I don't give a shit and most people I know don't give a fuck that he showed his dick to some tramp online. Dude is fucking ace in my book and I think the media are blowing and acting like its bigger than it is.

Yup, neither do I. His sex life is exclusively between him and the other consenting, adult, participants. It is nobody else's business. In Mark Foley's case the paiges weren't consenting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »
Funny that in politics, if a corporation gives you millions of dollars to sway your vote on some bill they want pass. No one cares. Its not a big deal. When the dude that called out people on their bullshit and accepting money from companies shows his dick to an adult woman online. Bam: He has to be thrown out of office.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 06:58:27 pm »
@TaroYamada

If we assume then, that he ran for office promoting ethics and transparency, then I guess, lying over the fact that this was all a hoax and that his Twitter account had been hacked, I guess resignation saves him the trouble of having to have an ethics probe into the matter.

One minor correction, though, the Republican congressman that you are referring to is not the same as Mark Foley.
Mark Foley ran into a lot of heat, because there were some e-mails exchanges between him and his Page, that were said to have innapropriate comments, this was in 2006.

The incident you're referring to is from former Idaho Senator Larry Craig, later in 2007.

Here's the police report on what Senator Craig did and... it's just plain weird. Normally when people solicit sex or something they ussually make some offer, not prod with your fingers around like a senile old coot.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 11:05:37 pm »
No I mean Foley, he made contact with a number of young male pages. In this specific case the page was underage, A.K.A. a minor:

http://http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/BrianRoss/story?id=2509586&page=1

Offline George

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:04 pm »
What is unethical about showing you cock to a woman that wants to see it?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 05:43:42 am »
@George

You should ask his wife on that.

Because that's the problem, exchaging IM messages like the ones TaroYamada posted on the ABC article and trading dirty photos might be amusing when you're in college, but when your in office pushing 50 or 60 and married, it is downright creepy.

________________________________________________________________________________
And to answer the question, yes, lewd conduct under US law is not only seen as an ethics violation, it could have criminal implications.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »
@George

You should ask his wife on that.

Because that's the problem, exchaging IM messages like the ones TaroYamada posted on the ABC article and trading dirty photos might be amusing when you're in college, but when your in office pushing 50 or 60 and married, it is downright creepy.

________________________________________________________________________________
And to answer the question, yes, lewd conduct under US law is not only seen as an ethics violation, it could have criminal implications.

Showing your dick online isn't illegal in the US, the only law he may have violated was a minor one; One of the pictures he took was in the Congressional gym, so he took it on public property. That might be illegal. They were looking into before he resigned. If it is illegal then it is a minor violation.

Offline George

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 04:04:02 pm »
That is between his wife and him. Not us. What next? Can't serve office because I had an argument with my mom?

Funny how in America, showing your cock to a woman of age is considered lewd, thus you're thrown out of office. But the founding fathers grew pot and had orgies.

Feels bad, man.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:25 pm »
I don't think anybody gets thrown out of office, at least, not until after a bunch of public hearings and probes, that they conclude if there was any misconduct, which might result in prosecution and further disclosure of the issue.

Or you can assume that said person resigns because he felt he betrayed the people's trust.

Unlike, a certain PM who didn't resign after this video tape got leaked
[youtube:2egirppf]2nmIcGdlZiM[/youtube:2egirppf]

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 09:35:15 pm »
[youtube:2znl1qj5]fboyYv5Hwjg[/youtube:2znl1qj5]

Offline max_cady

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 05:19:40 pm »
"The GOP hates kids and old people" tagline really sells, I guess.

I would recommend reading this particular article on Portugal, this could be your future, America.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:29 am »
"The GOP hates kids and old people" tagline really sells, I guess.

I would recommend reading this particular article on Portugal, this could be your future, America.

Haha, except we have very few social programs compared to most developed European countries. We don't even have a national healthcare program for all citizens and our college education system is grossly underfunded. Sorry Max, but hopefully America ends up more along the lines of Germany. Which really is what most countries should be aiming for; A developed country with good, successful, social programs that has also managed to maintain its manufacturing base.

Offline George

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 05:50:58 am »
Or we can just be the America the founding fathers wanted us to be.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 06:33:35 am »
@TaroYamada

For a country that has very few social programs, I am amazed at the amount of money spent over the better part of the century.

But the case is indeed clear, a refusal to cut spending (specially a lot hidden costs), lower taxes, privatize corporations that have golden shares(a huge issue in Portugal), reduce the number of goverment branches (though kudos for the US, there's only 12 cabinets, compared to 16 cabinets of th previous administration), is enough to bankrupt a nation. It's happened with us.

@George

The founding fathers wanted the US to be founded on the following principle:

That are men were created equal and endowned by their Creator with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Those are the only things that can be considered a trully entitelments.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:30 am »
Lowering taxes is a great way to go bankrupt too.