Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 273285 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 07:08:04 am »
It's inevitable that the franchise will be dead after the second game...BUT I can name other SEGA franchises that never get past one game and others that get two games if they're lucky!

Billy Hatcher, Ristar (depends if you count it as two), Skies of Arcadia, Burning Rangers, Comix Zone.

Franchises with two games tend to also have a cult following such as; Vectorman, NiGHTS, Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio.

Personally, Bayonetta being given another game should be celebrated rather then be a focal point as to why Nintendo kept the series alive. It does remind me of Microsoft and having JSRF on their console to move units, I would like to see this as a similar scenario due to Microsoft's uncertain debut in the console market and SEGA willing to add the franchise on the console (maybe not with Bayonetta 2, but still).

Overall,I am happy it exists and hopefully wraps up any loose ends with the story if anyone cared for it. As SEGA fans, we will hopefully cherish this game as we did with the first!
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 07:18:52 am »
Yes and no.

Yes because I doubt Platinum will want to make another one.

No because SEGA probably sees it as a profitable franchise.

Problem is finding someone who will supply both a big enough bag of money to get a third game going but not wanting a big profit... My thoughts turn to either Microsoft and Sony.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:19:20 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Nintendo killed Bayonetta.

Sega cancelled the game, not Nintendo.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 08:05:49 pm »
Sega cancelled the game, not Nintendo.

SEGA did not cancel Bayonetta 2 because they wanted to, it was profitable enough to become a series.

Offline Ben

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 02:30:40 am »
Well of course nobody cancels a game because they want to, lol.

I disagree though about your reasoning for its cancellation. If Bayonetta 1 wasn't profitable enough to become a series, they wouldn't have greenlit the sequel to begin with. The sequel was cancelled, I believe, as part of Sega's new strategy to focus mainly on their key IP only. Bayonetta didn't fit into that mold. (Sonic/Total War/Football Manager/Aliens.)

Bayonetta sold 1.35 million in its first few months on shelves, which is I think more than the past 2 Yakuza games combined, if not 3. And Sega has no problem continuing to churn those out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:33:54 am by Ben »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 02:57:57 am »
Well of course nobody cancels a game because they want to, lol.

I disagree though about your reasoning for its cancellation. If Bayonetta 1 wasn't profitable enough to become a series, they wouldn't have greenlit the sequel to begin with. The sequel was cancelled, I believe, as part of Sega's new strategy to focus mainly on their key IP only. Bayonetta didn't fit into that mold. (Sonic/Total War/Football Manager/Aliens.)

Bayonetta sold 1.35 million in its first few months on shelves, which is I think more than the past 2 Yakuza games combined, if not 3. And Sega has no problem continuing to churn those out.

I never stated why the game was cancelled heh.

And then you asking why it was cancelled. Not big it doesn't fit into their key IPs,  that didn't last a year until SEGA  decided to invest in Company of Heroes 2,  Hatsune Mike and obtaining the Warhammer license.

Did they not have the resources? A silly notion after they spent over a $100 million on a developer who hardly has a million seller.

Perhaps they just didn't like the series? Which again made little sense given the fact SEGA funded a Bayonetta movie. The cancellation of Bayonetta 2 (or rather production being put on hold) has little in them wanting to focus only in 4 key IPs.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:01 am »
Anarchy Reigns has offline modes.  Though I think I misunderstood, it is PG's first multiplayer-oriented title.
It did have offline modes, but they were rubbish I thought. The single player was dry 'Kill XX bad guys in this area, then that area'. It's like playing a fighting game offline only, it's okay, but not the meat and potatoes of the title.

Also I was unaware that Platinum have expressed they didn't want any more Bayo games? I wonder if Sega would have continued the franchise without them if not?
Having said that, who could realistically do the game justice? I can't think of many good action games in recent years apart from the ones from Platinum. Don't know what internal Sega teams would work on it either.

In any event, I always thought Bayo might be something that DMC that can spawn a few sequels if it hadn't had such an unfortunate road. Obviously I'll still be happy with the two games we do get (assuming Bayo 2 is good of course). A lot of my favourite games are one or two-shots.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:04:25 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Ben

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:53 pm »
I never stated why the game was cancelled heh.

And then you asking why it was cancelled. Not big it doesn't fit into their key IPs,  that didn't last a year until SEGA  decided to invest in Company of Heroes 2,  Hatsune Mike and obtaining the Warhammer license.

Did they not have the resources? A silly notion after they spent over a $100 million on a developer who hardly has a million seller.

Perhaps they just didn't like the series? Which again made little sense given the fact SEGA funded a Bayonetta movie. The cancellation of Bayonetta 2 (or rather production being put on hold) has little in them wanting to focus only in 4 key IPs.

My bad dude, I misread your post.

I thought you said it was cancelled because it wasn't profitable enough to become a series.

cancellation of Bayonetta 2 (or rather production being put on hold) has little in them wanting to focus only in 4 key IPs.

I can't think of any other possible reason.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 06:58:08 am »
Also I was unaware that Platinum have expressed they didn't want any more Bayo games?
I don't think they have. However, Platinum doesn't really do sequels in general. Aside from possibly Anarchy Reigns, which was sort of a sequel to MadWorld, Bayonetta 2 is the only sequel that they've done so far.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 07:48:16 am »
I can't think of any other possible reason.

A break down of communication.

I don't think they have. However, Platinum doesn't really do sequels in general. Aside from possibly Anarchy Reigns, which was sort of a sequel to MadWorld, Bayonetta 2 is the only sequel that they've done so far.

Not really fair to judge yet though considering their output has only been 8 games. But you've got a sequel, a spiritual successor and they've worked on an established series, I think there definitely is a shift on their attitudes as long as they can get work.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:34 pm »
It does certainly sound like Platinium will take any form of work, even if it means creating a sequel for another company.

However, I believe that if SEGA or Nintendo would want another Bayonetta game to fill out the universe that little bit more, I can bet that Platinum would want more money to do it, since doing more of the same doesn't look like something they would want to be known for.

Rising was probably an offer Konami gave them due to how slow development that was going under Kojima, but I don't think they would like to do more of them in the future.

Either way, I mentioned in the past that I am not the biggest fan of Bayonetta, but I certainly did enjoy the gameplay and will be buying the game as soon as a release date is announced. It may not be much, but my sale will hopefully keep Platinum in business and will help them make more games in the future.  ;D

I can see how disappointing it is to have to buy a Wii U if you're desperate for it, and will segregate the fanbase, but given Nintendo's funding it, I shall take that over SEGA's cancellation any day.

I honestly have no clue on the cancellation either, especially when they just announced another Shining game (it's on consoles) that I believe didn't sell so well on the PSP last time? (probably due to the debacle of the whole Youtube thing). You'd honestly think that Bayonetta was a more popular franchise than Shining? Especially when the latter doesn't have much chance of being localised in the West ever again.

Sorry for the rant.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:55 pm »

Obtusely I guess. I didn't remember the comment properly but this is what I was recalling when I made my comment.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/30/kamiya-doesnt-see-a-bayonetta-3-happening-in-the-future/
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Ben

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »
But you've got a sequel, a spiritual successor and they've worked on an established series, I think there definitely is a shift on their attitudes as long as they can get work.

It does certainly sound like Platinium will take any form of work, even if it means creating a sequel for another company.

I don't think you'd find many developers who would pass up the opportunity to work on a series as iconic as Metal Gear.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:49 pm »
At least on the 360/PS3 it made viable numbers of over a million units sold. On Wii U, I'd be shocked if it moves over 30,000 units.

Offline Ben

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 12:27:28 am »
To be fair, the decision to bring the game to Wii U was made long before the system started bombing.

Regardless, it's beside the point; if it wasn't for Nintendo the game wouldn't exist; nobody else apparently wanted to put up the money.