Author Topic: SEGAbits Official Politics Thread 2011  (Read 26046 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
SEGAbits Official Politics Thread 2011
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:18:23 am »
The son of Thatcher

vs

The son of Brown

FIGHT!

Since there has been a lot of political discussion going on recently here on SEGAbits (And some major news such as the SNP winning a majority in Scotland, who may want to go for Scottish independence now) it's probably best we open up this thread. I'm sure they'll be many punches and blows but let's try not to fall into the usual hyperboles sprouted by people on the left or right, okay? Great!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: SEGAbits Official Politics Thread 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:28:58 am »
Talk about how Aki's uncle got done up by US government.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:44:39 am »
Quote from: "George"
Talk about how Aki's uncle got done up by US government.

Kept telling him to buy a 360 over a PS3, but he wanted to play Flower so badly : (

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »
I am assuming this is where George got the uncle joke he's throwing around so often.

[youtube:2hu112lb]9I4CsR591FM[/youtube:2hu112lb]

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:08:23 pm »
I gotta say, there's a couple of pretty good Republican candidates rolling up.

Herman Cain and Bill Pawlenty are looking pretty good. But Paul Ryan is another looker, hope he runs too.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »
Wow, that girl is such a cry baby. I wouldn't start crying if someone cracked a joke about my race/religion.

/nuff said

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »
Quote from: "max_cady"
I gotta say, there's a couple of pretty good Republican candidates rolling up.

Herman Cain and Bill Pawlenty are looking pretty good. But Paul Ryan is another looker, hope he runs too.

Paul Ryan is terrible, the mans' budget plan attacks social programs that he himself benefited from. The man wants to destroy and defund social programs yet the only reason he was able to afford college was because some of the programs he attacks, like social security, paid out to him because his father died when he was young. He is selfish, hypocritical and furthermore, he opposes unions.

Also tax cuts for the rich don't work; A policy that both Pawlenty and Ryan support. A company never hires more workers than it needs, regardless of how many tax cuts you give them they will only hire what they need. General Electric paid no taxes in the US this year, they got a giant $3.2 billion dollar rebate, so you say wow, not only did they not get taxed they got free money. Let's see how many jobs America gained out of that deal.... Negative 18,000, yup in the same tax period they laid off 18,000 American workers.

American companies during 2000-2010 decreased their American workforces by 2.9 million whilst increasing overseas workforces by 2.4 million. So clearly, the trickle down theory has failed America, not that it ever worked in the first place.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3

Offline max_cady

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:33:36 pm »
@Taro

The concept of taxing the wealthy is sorta of a muddled one, because there's no genuine profile of what constitutes a wealthy person. It serves only the purpose to create social envy and that's the best jailbait that any politician wants.

Only in the sense that if you can convince people that if you'll vote for them under the false pretense that they will continue to live their lifes without any consessions and that the wealthy, so to speak, will pay it for them, since, according to popular belief, they were responsible for the meltdown.

Corporations don't hire exactly hire when they need to, but a flexible labour market makes it accessible for a company to hire a number of people over time and let them go when they are no longer required, since changes in corporate structure are a given, layoffs and hiring are a natural part of the system.

Yes, jobs are being created overseas, but in that case, President Obama's decision to drill on Brazil, while the oil reserves in US soil just sit there is not exactly helping the situation.

But getting back to the wealthy, the rich will always get a bigger tax cut, because even with tax cuts they still pay more than the average citizen, which is roughly 70% of the american working class.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:37:44 pm »
Quote from: "max_cady"
The concept of taxing the wealthy is sorta of a muddled one, because there's no genuine profile of what constitutes a wealthy person. It serves only the purpose to create social envy and that's the best jailbait that any politician wants.

Not really, there is a cause and effect and many who gain wealth, particularly within a corporate structure, do so by taking advantage of the lower economic classes (employees within their company). As such they should have to pay back into the system,a reasonable amount, to help provide for these individuals.

Only in the sense that if you can convince people that if you'll vote for them under the false pretense that they will continue to live their lifes without any consessions and that the wealthy, so to speak, will pay it for them, since, according to popular belief, they were responsible for the meltdown.

I don't completely understand this, I apologize. I assume however you are saying that I want the rich to be the only taxed people? No, that isn't the case, I just want them to pay their fair share per capita. America has severe income disparity between the rich and poor, and this can be resolved through taxing.

Corporations don't hire exactly hire when they need to, but a flexible labour market makes it accessible for a company to hire a number of people over time and let them go when they are no longer required, since changes in corporate structure are a given, layoffs and hiring are a natural part of the system.

A flexible market is required but yet again there should be safeguards in place for employees, like unemployment insurance for example. Also, unions don't harm a markets' flexibility, lay offs can still occur, and have (to unions) during this economic downturn.

Yes, jobs are being created overseas, but in that case, President Obama's decision to drill on Brazil, while the oil reserves in US soil just sit there is not exactly helping the situation.

President Obama is a conservative, lets be clear here; Very few Democrats in the US are liberal, and Obama isn't one of them: Dennis Kucinich, Russ Feingold, Joe Sestak, Peter DeFazio, Merkley, Wyden, Bernie Sanders, those are liberals. Obama has continued most of Bush's policies or made them worse, like the wiretapping, or the Private Military Corps., or the unmanned drones. He is a terrible president, absolutely terrible, just like Bush was.

But getting back to the wealthy, the rich will always get a bigger tax cut, because even with tax cuts they still pay more than the average citizen, which is roughly 70% of the american working class.

In America the 400 richest people in the US, the top 400 according to Forbes has a net worth of $1.37 trillion dollars. The bottom 60% of the country, the poorest households, have $1.26 trillion dollars. The fact that 400 people in the US have more wealth than the lowest 184 million Americans is inexcusable. I don't see how one can see this disparity and propose that taxes on the rich should not be raised to assist in resolving America's multiple finance issues.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 04:04:29 am »
@Taro

I don't completely understand this, I apologize. I assume however you are saying that I want the rich to be the only taxed people? No, that isn't the case, I just want them to pay their fair share per capita. America has severe income disparity between the rich and poor, and this can be resolved through taxing.

I don 't think taxation is going to decrease the disparity between said groups. On the contrary, the lower classes are always the ones who will really suffer with tax increases.

In America the 400 richest people in the US, the top 400 according to Forbes has a net worth of $1.37 trillion dollars. The bottom 60% of the country, the poorest households, have $1.26 trillion dollars. The fact that 400 people in the US have more wealth than the lowest 184 million Americans is inexcusable. I don't see how one can see this disparity and propose that taxes on the rich should not be raised to assist in resolving America's multiple finance issues.
Most of the financial issues that the US currentlty have is precisely due to large spending and increasing the size of the public sector (which was already pretty big pre-Obama), which has placed a heavy burden on the average taxpayer.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 01:35:33 am »
Anthony Wiener shouldn't have resigned; And Bump!

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 10:08:52 am »
I'm really surprised such a big deal was made out of this. He didn't do anything illegal.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 11:21:40 am »
This isn't exactly a major news item, so to speak, but the citizens don't want elected officials that are pervs and cheating on their wives through social networks. When you're in public office, you basically expect them to act like saints.

It's happened to Mark Foley, John Edwards and others...

Though, I've seen people resign over far more trivial things, the German DefSec vacated his position because it was discovered that he had plagarized his college thesis almost 5 years ago.

Anyway, Obama gets kudos for taking out Bin Laden, but the way the Lybia operation is going does not bode well for his re-election. You having no ground troops to actually assess the situation, because this might turn into Barack Obama's Iran-Contra if he's not careful.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 04:31:38 pm »
Quote from: "TaroYamada"
Anthony Wiener shouldn't have resigned; And Bump!
Yeah, I don't give a shit and most people I know don't give a fuck that he showed his dick to some tramp online. Dude is fucking ace in my book and I think the media are blowing and acting like its bigger than it is.