Author Topic: Brag about favorite dishes from your town! - The Official Topic  (Read 3961 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Brag about favorite dishes from your town! - The Official Topic
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:31 pm »
Need I explain myself?

Basically it's a topic where we brag about our favorite dishes, drinks and snacks from our town/country.

Case and point:

This little snack is called "bifana". You can get these especially in Oporto, but any town that has a dinner around the Oporto district is bound to sell 'em.
You take pork beef and cut very thin slices and you cook them all morning in a special beef broth with chilly sauce and Port Wine, come lunch time, serve 'em in a bun.

Curious fact: There's also a Lisbon "bifana" but it's basically just a big steak between two buns.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:23:02 am by max_cady »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Brag about favorite dishes from your town! - The Official Topic
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:59 am »
From my hometown of Minneapolis I have to give a shout out to the Jucy Lucy! A burger where the cheese is cooked on the INSIDE. Mmmmmm...

While various places in MN tout the best or original of this burger, the best and in my opinion the birthplace is Matt's bar:

So... fucking good...

In Philly, where I am not from but have lived for 5 years, I'm going to have to skip the cheesesteak (gasp!) and give a shout out to Tommy DiNic's roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. It is AWESOME.

Both were featured on Man Vs. Food, so you know they gotta be delicious and bad for you.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:02:52 am »
I can't think of many dishes that are really unique to my city.
There's always been a big Italian community here, so we've got a ton of Italian restaurants and pizza places. Pretty much any pizza chain that opens here goes out of buisness pretty quick because the quality's just not up to the quality of the local places. Anybody I know that's moved away from here complains that they can't find a pizza nearly as good. Even in bigger cities like Ottawa and Toronto.

My favourite restaurant in town is a little Indonesian place called Bali. It's a family run operation that's built a pretty loyal customer base over the last 5 years or so. I'll usually get the same dish everytime, so the owners know exactly what to make when I walk in the door.  I get a dish called sambal chicken. It's chicken pieces done up in a spicy sauce, served with broccoli and carrots, with a side of sticky rice.  I'll usually get a Canada Dry ginger-ale to go along with it, because it adds a bit of extra bite to the spice :).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:17:57 am »
Shadi and I should meet up for Jucy Lucys, I'm in Minnesota June of next year!