Author Topic: Read this before posting a topic!  (Read 45885 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Read this before posting a topic!
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:14 pm »
This forum is only for making suggestions or posting about a tech issue. Any other topic made will either be deleted or moved to the appropriate forum.

Also, if you see an existing open topic that fits in the issue you are having, post in that topic.

That is all, thanks!

original post below
=================

I want to know what kinds of features(oh and by features i mean technicalish site features, not our story features) SEGAbits members want the most.

I got ideas in my head, but the site is built for you guys, what kind of features would you like to see?

Speak your heart out, I won't look down on you if I don't agree on your idea. Just want a general idea of what people would like to see so i can start implementing these ideas into my plans.

Please note: this is only suggestions, can't make any guarantee that the features you want will be used
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:56:59 pm by Will »

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: What features do you want on SEGAbits?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:37:44 am »
I think once you replied you shouldn't be taken out of the thread and put back into the forum page.

I know it's not a big one, but I usually like checking to see if my edits are correct (I am not so good at word structuring you see).

Other then that, I am not too tech savvy despite being a Graphic Designer. lol
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:12:27 am »
It would be great if you could link the Blog with the forums, so I can comment on articles with my forum account... I remember you had the earlier versions of Segabits, and I would really like it back.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »
@nameless 24 got any examples of your work? I'd be curious to see it, I want to get into graphic design too, but I'm more of a web designer at the moment.

It would be great if you could link the Blog with the forums, so I can comment on articles with my forum account... I remember you had the earlier versions of Segabits, and I would really like it back.

I'll come out and say it right now, even though I told myself I wasn't going to comment on the possibility of features. but... that won't be happening with the upcoming changes. When we did that, we had phpbb3(not good forum software btw) and there used to be a bridge that would link phpbb3 and wordpress accounts together, but the guy who maintained the bridge stopped supporting it, so we decided to switch to SMF. and yeah, merging wordpress and SMF2 isnt happening, they are vastly different and crazy.

Maybe in the future I could pull something off. I can't say either way though, lot's of things that are unknown at the moment.

Thinking I might move the forums to mybb software, I'm kinda getting tired of how annoying SMF is in terms of certain things, but I'll just have to see how everything goes.

SMF used to be regarded as the best free forum software, but it looks like myBB is a good option to shift to. Apparently MyBB is comparable to vbulletin in how well it runs on major loads. Of course we don't really have major loads(lots of members) here at SEGAbits, but it's still nice to have software that runs nice. I mean why not, it's free :P

I downloaded MyBB locally this morning and installed it, it does seem nice, the default theme is a bit ugly, but it will look good once tweaked.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:41:08 pm by Will »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:55:54 am »
A quick reply box would be nice :p

Edit: Design alternatives would be cool as well. I was thinking of darker themes

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:36:10 am by CrazyTails »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:53:56 pm »
Sorry for the double post but just for the sake for attention.

I think make embedding youtube videos easier would also be a very beneficial thing.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »
Sorry for the double post but just for the sake for attention.

I think make embedding youtube videos easier would also be a very beneficial thing.

What about embedding youtube videos isnt easy? it's just like any other forum

use the youtube tags, and then insert the URL in either the normal form or the share form

Code: [Select]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEeJ2X0uFg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/3zEeJ2X0uFg[/youtube]

edit: sorry if i come off as sounding angry or anything, i don't mean to, just genuinely curious why you think that.

oh as for alternate themes, I think you will like what you see when the new design goes up, which shouldn't be too much longer... finally starting to nail down the final design. It's a long process... lol, always changing my mind on stuff and such...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:22:40 pm by Will »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 12:33:45 pm »
When you're in the General Sega Discussion or Classic Sega Discussion forums, and you hit the link at the top to go to Everything Sega, it just dumps you out in the main Segabits Forums menu.  I don't usually check the other discussions so it would be nice to be able to just get to a menu of the two main Sega discussions.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:23:47 pm »
When you're in the General Sega Discussion or Classic Sega Discussion forums, and you hit the link at the top to go to Everything Sega, it just dumps you out in the main Segabits Forums menu.  I don't usually check the other discussions so it would be nice to be able to just get to a menu of the two main Sega discussions.

I can see where you are coming from, but this forum software isn't programmed to work that way. Mybb works that way though, and I've been messing around with myBB, might switch SEGAbits to it in the future. Seems like a better forum software overall.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »
What about embedding youtube videos isnt easy? it's just like any other forum

use the youtube tags, and then insert the URL in either the normal form or the share form

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEeJ2X0uFg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/3zEeJ2X0uFg[/youtube]

edit: sorry if i come off as sounding angry or anything, i don't mean to, just genuinely curious why you think that.

oh as for alternate themes, I think you will like what you see when the new design goes up, which shouldn't be too much longer... finally starting to nail down the final design. It's a long process... lol, always changing my mind on stuff and such...
For some weird reason it messes up sometimes with https. Anyway i've allready learned how to embed videos but I still find some weird mistakes sometimes using the regular tag option (
[youtube][/youtube] in this case). Just recently at the zaxxon thread ROJM wasn't able to easily embed his video either. I mean we can all find out how to do it eventually but the tag doesn't always do the job is what I mean
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:01:53 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:57 pm »
For some weird reason it messes up sometimes with https. Anyway i've allready learned how to embed videos but I still find some weird mistakes sometimes using the regular tag option (
[youtube][/youtube] in this case). Just recently at the zaxxon thread ROJM wasn't able to easily embed his video either. I mean we can all find out how to do it eventually but the tag doesn't always do the job is what I mean

ah.. i see.. yeah, that's a valid complaint

i coded the youtube add-on myself, and regular expressions confuse the hell out of me. lol, and they are needed to read the URL and get the correct info out of it, so i did very basic things to get it working.

all the more reason to switch to mybb, comes with built in video embedding. but if we don't switch soon ill try and upgrade the code for that plugin.

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:15:16 am »
I am not sure if you could re implement this feature or not from the older site design but I really liked seeing popular thread topics on the front page. It reminded me that there is a discussion forum here. I think I used to post more because of it.

Possibly linking news stories with thread topics could work for me as well.
-Sorry for not being as active anymore being a SEGA dad is not easy work. :D

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 05:14:40 pm »
The Reviews and Podcast pages should be archives of everything, with links for the respective review/episode, instead of a post dump.
SEG4GES

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »
If you guys haven't noticed I have added a latest forums topics box to the front page. I will try to alter it based on feedback i get. So it can be implemented in the new site and look great.

btw new site is really close to being finished, I just gotta get some motivation and pump it out, it's really close, I'm just being lazy.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:29:07 am »
Great to hear!

I like that recent forum posts are on the front page, but perhaps put the Welcome message at the top? Also, see if you can find a way to make it take up less space?