Author Topic: Fed up with all the wars  (Read 11213 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Fed up with all the wars
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 08:24:00 am »
The Invention of Lying is alright for a solo Ricky effort. I'm enjoying Derek much more. Have you seen Cemetery Junction?

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:22 am »
The Invention of Lying is alright for a solo Ricky effort. I'm enjoying Derek much more. Have you seen Cemetery Junction?

No I haven't. What's it about?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:21 am »
No I haven't. What's it about?

It's a coming of age comedy/drama set in '70's Britain. Gervais and Merchant wrote and directed it, but only play small roles in the film itself. Sort of gives off a The Inbetweeners vibe, it's worth a watch if you like Gervais's work.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:29 am »
It's a coming of age comedy/drama set in '70's Britain. Gervais and Merchant wrote and directed it, but only play small roles in the film itself. Sort of gives off a The Inbetweeners vibe, it's worth a watch if you like Gervais's work.

Gervais is awesome, my favorite work of his has to be Warwick Davis' show, haha.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 06:26:30 am »

lol, sadly I am not a fan of Ricky Gervais (I can't stand him even), but I am willing to overlook that if you say that Cemetery Junction is as good as the Inbetweeners.

I wish I could recommend a show to you, but you probably know all of the UK shows we get.

I personally like Waterloo Road and Life on Mars, both are dramas but the latter has some science fiction in it, where a cop in 2008 is sent back in time when he is put into a coma to 1973 (a lot of things happened in this year for Britain). It's worth a watch if you are interested.

I noticed Derek on Channel 4 lately, is that the show you are talking about?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:10 am »
Gervais and Steve Merchant have made The Office (my favorite sitcom of all time), Extras (my second favorite sitcom), Life's Too Short (really disappointed me, good enough for one watch but nowhere near as great as their first two works), An Idiot Abroad (fantastically funny travel show starring their former radio producer Karl Pilkington), Cemetery Junction (their only film, like I said it's a funny move and I suggest checking it out).

Gervais's solo works include his standup specials (which I love, because I like his commentary on religion, fat people, and other shit), Invention of Lying (actually a collab with another dude, the concept is very unique, and it's a decent movie, but not his strongest work), Ghost Town (he only acts in it, but I like this one far more than Invention of Lying. Really sweet rom-com with The Sixth Sense mixed in), and Derek (far better than Life's Too Short, but not without its problems. Still, it's a funny show and I love the character Douglas played by Karl Pilkington in his first acting role).

Steve Merchant is working on a show in America called "Hello Ladies" where he plays an Englishman looking for love in LA. I'm really looking forward to that one: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stephen-merchant-pilot-gets-series-385381

---

Yeah, I'm a Gervais nerd. :P

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
I love An Idiot Abroad, but most likely because Karl Pilkington is not Ricky Gervais, as he's genuine when it comes to being funny.

I liked the Ricky Gervais Show where they asked Karl Pilkington questions regarding life and stuff.

I'll check it out when I can though, and I can tell that you are, lol.