Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 667898 times)

3raser

Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:41 pm »
I for one wouldn't mind Shen3 going all DBZ.

A Shenmue III stopped making sense after the 128bit generation. The technology used for the games make up a lot of the "game feel". A Shen3 released today would be so technologically far away from the other two entries that it would feel like a different game series altogether.

So just make it really different. But also make it very good.
We would get a conclusion for the series (it could be full of magic and dragon balls; as long as it made sense, I doubt fans would be pissed), and a good game on it's own (a game unaffected by the outdatedness of it's predecessors).

I realise you have an unusual obsession of DBZ. I can tell by your avatar and your post. You can watch that show all you like. It actually benefitted Japanese influence to different cultures across the world. A lot of people are now into other Japanese animation because of that show. It's just that DBZ has nothing to do with Shenmue whatsoever. It's not like Shenmue I and II had anything to do with using superpowers. It might only be my opinion though. I guess I just like more realistic games better.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2013, 06:34:42 am »
Shenmue II was headed towards magic in the end. In fact, the whole story is based around two mirrors with magical properties when combined.

I'm not obsessed with DBZ lol
What I meant was that imo it wouldn't be bad at all if they went in a different direction for the 3rd game.
SEG4GES

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 01:09:20 pm »
Please Sega, don't make another Shenmue game or your company will be gone forever. I wouldn't be able to play any new games by Sega at that point.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2013, 05:04:36 am »
Please Sega, don't make another Shenmue game or your company will be gone forever. I wouldn't be able to play any new games by Sega at that point.
Are you implying that regardless of what Shen3 Sega puts out, it'll be shit? That makes zero sense.
SEG4GES

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2013, 05:50:16 am »
look the story since SHENMUE's III cancellation is that Sega has tried to partner with one of the main manufacturers to tie this game exclusively. Which means that Sega just does the development but not the marketing. I've heard this notion several times during the years. Any attempt to revive the series in a new direction has bombed be it  SHENMUE ONLINE that fell into legal problems or the Sunsoft SHENMUE CITY game which failed as an mobage game.

Now recent events have presented another chance for the series. kickstarter is one of them or the licensing out the IP to a manufacturer like what happened with BAYONETTA 2. Rumors indicate that the latter may be possible. Even then the problem is that Sega owns the codes and the engine i'm not sure if they were willing to part with them just for someone else to do it as well as the fact that whoever licenses it are willing to pay Sega the privilege to use the engine and the codes IE extra money on top of using the IP and knowing today's world a percentage on top of the usual one. But time will tell on that one.     

3raser

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:04 pm »

I think you may need to reevaluate Shenmue III. Have you even played any of the first two games? How do you know it's going to be bad? There were a lot of Sonic games Sega made that were terrible. That didn't stop Sega. Shenmue III would be a much better game regardless of what they do to it. They could not screw it up. It would be impossible because everyone wants a real ending instead of a cliffhanger.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:14 am »
Even then the problem is that Sega owns the codes and the engine i'm not sure if they were willing to part with them just for someone else to do it as well as the fact that whoever licenses it are willing to pay Sega the privilege to use the engine and the codes IE extra money on top of using the IP and knowing today's world a percentage on top of the usual one. But time will tell on that one

What engine ? The Shenmue engine is old hat now and getting that to run on current consoles is not as easy as one thinks  and no matter what people really say ; most gamers will no pay money for a Shenmue III game running on an engine that some 14 years old  now . The Big trouble for Shenmue is its a series that never made money and where the sequel sold far less than the original, that's the major trouble for the game sadly and why SEGA never mind any other Studio wants to go near it

Shenmue III would be a much better game regardless of what they do to it. They could not screw it up. It would be impossible because everyone wants a real ending instead of a cliffhanger.

One can't say that really; Sure the script is done but then you have to have game design to make any Shenmue III interesting to play and the trouble is if SEGA did make a watered down Shenmue III - then people will bash SEGA to the high heavens . Shenmue III and IV (given there's some 10 chapters left to be told ) needs to be lavish productions and that team means a Huge Team and a huge budget to give gamers the Shenmue sequel they should get.

SEGA either should go all out for a sequel or not bother at all imo. I'm pretty sure AM#2 and the Yakzua Team working as one on Shenmue III could make a worthy sequel , but the question is does SEGA and the Teams want to spend all that time and effort on a game that's so far failed , rather than give a some new game a chance - Which is what happens with-in teams when they want their new  concepts  given the green light, rather than sold old IP that didn't sell  well
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:58 am »
What engine ? The Shenmue engine is old hat now and getting that to run on current consoles is not as easy as one thinks  and no matter what people really say ; most gamers will no pay money for a Shenmue III game running on an engine that some 14 years old  now . The Big trouble for Shenmue is its a series that never made money and where the sequel sold far less than the original, that's the major trouble for the game sadly and why SEGA never mind any other Studio wants to go near it

One can't say that really; Sure the script is done but then you have to have game design to make any Shenmue III interesting to play and the trouble is if SEGA did make a watered down Shenmue III - then people will bash SEGA to the high heavens . Shenmue III and IV (given there's some 10 chapters left to be told ) needs to be lavish productions and that team means a Huge Team and a huge budget to give gamers the Shenmue sequel they should get.

Dont be frigging stupid, dont you think Yu Suzuki and Sega knows that? You dont think they wouldn't even overhaul it?  Like they tweaked it when they tried to do SHENMUE ONLINE? You really are desperate aren't you?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2013, 08:28:22 am »
Shenmue III and IV (given there's some 10 chapters left to be told ) needs to be lavish productions and that team means a Huge Team and a huge budget to give gamers the Shenmue sequel they should get.

Suzuki stated a while back that he believes he could wrap up the entire story in a third release.  Whether this means omitting certain chapters (like Ryo's ride on the ship between I and II), or just because game discs can contain much more content now, he hasn't specified.

I think it's obvious that one of the factors holding things up is that Suzuki does not want to cheap out and do a lesser game for the final one.  He's holding out until everything, including an adequate budget, is in place.  That said, I think the final game can be done more efficiently and less expensively than the first two, because a lot of the expense of the originals came down to trial and error, and the challenges of an arcade team adapting and learning to design a massive RPG.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2013, 09:31:35 am »
Dont be frigging stupid, dont you think Yu Suzuki and Sega knows that? You dont think they wouldn't even overhaul it?  Like they tweaked it when they tried to do SHENMUE ONLINE? You really are desperate aren't you?

I don't have a clue what you are on about . Shenmue Online wasn't even using the Shenmue engine and when SEGA allowed 3rd parties to use the Shenmue engine  - not one took it up and that was on the DC . The engine is now years old and of no use to any developer , so any new Shenmue would either have to use the likes of Unreal 3/4 , Yakuza 5 engine or use a custom built one  not that the game major issue .

To model build and design the world on the scale of Shenmue this or next gen would take a Huge team and tons of money .

Suzuki stated a while back that he believes he could wrap up the entire story in a third release.  Whether this means omitting certain chapters (like Ryo's ride on the ship between I and II), or just because game discs can contain much more content now, he hasn't specified

Sure if they want to cut it back they could just about fit it all on to 1 BluRay disc I bet . But given given it took 2 games ,7 GD discs and god knows how many years of development  just to tell 5 chapters I wouldn't hold my breather more so in the age of High Def

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2013, 09:57:33 am »
I don't have a clue what you are on about . Shenmue Online wasn't even using the Shenmue engine and when SEGA allowed 3rd parties to use the Shenmue engine  - not one took it up and that was on the DC . The engine is now years old and of no use to any developer , so any new Shenmue would either have to use the likes of Unreal 3/4 , Yakuza 5 engine or use a custom built one  not that the game major issue .

No because you usually dont have a clue on what you go on about you can't keep up with your own questions. SHENMUE ONLINE used many assets from the previous games and used the engine. Suzuki stated that countless times considering he was overseeing the project and the game was partly funded by Sega. So using what happened with the DC doesn't prove a thing.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2013, 10:14:26 am »
No because you usually dont have a clue on what you go on about you can't keep up with your own questions. SHENMUE ONLINE used many assets from the previous games and used the engine. Suzuki stated that countless times considering he was overseeing the project and the game was partly funded by Sega. So using what happened with the DC doesn't prove a thing.

Well I see to remember JC saying Shenmue Online was to use a new engine that's all. The point is little of Shenmue 3 was ever developed and the DC engine is years old and of little or no use to anyone thinking of making a new Shenmue 3. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:44 am »
No they said the game too a lot of assets from SHENMUE.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2013, 12:51:17 pm »
Can't Sega just use the Yakuza engine?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:03 pm »
At this point they'd have to use whatever the PS4 Yakuza is using. Or why not use whatever VF6 is using?

Was the Shenmue engine original? Or was it an older modified engine?