Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668046 times)

3raser

Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »
Not exactly much to add to the topic, but thought it might be worth mentioning, since it is sorta related to Shenmue, but I just got word that Lisle Wilkerson, the voice of Joy in Shenmue II (As well as Sarah in Virtua Fighter and Gena in Crazy Taxi) will be making a personal appearance in Rockford, IL on Dec. 27th-29th at the Anime Apocalypse Convention...

That was definitely worth mentioning. I would also like to know when/where the creator of Shenmue might be. Like, if he was in public. That way someone could ask him about a third game. A trilogy is always better than only two games. It would make the series more memorable.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2013, 08:16:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure every time he's in public, someone asks him about Shenmue III. In that recent video in which he joined the interview with David Cage, the first thing he said was that he was getting a little tired of being asked about Shenmue III. He knows we want it -- he wants to do it -- but he's got to work out the business details.

3raser

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2013, 10:58:38 pm »
I'm pretty sure every time he's in public, someone asks him about Shenmue III. In that recent video in which he joined the interview with David Cage, the first thing he said was that he was getting a little tired of being asked about Shenmue III. He knows we want it -- he wants to do it -- but he's got to work out the business details.

I sure hope people can convince him. A lot of people want Shenmue III very badly.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2013, 02:14:31 am »
I sure hope people can convince him. A lot of people want Shenmue III very badly.

Hardly anyone wants a Shenmue III. Hardly anyone even knows what it is. What makes you think "he" would want a Shenmue III. I'm telling you that if he wanted it, then he would have created it. It's just that simple. The game has not been made yet. The last game in the series was made over ten years ago.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
That was definitely worth mentioning. I would also like to know when/where the creator of Shenmue might be. Like, if he was in public. That way someone could ask him about a third game. A trilogy is always better than only two games. It would make the series more memorable.

I'm pretty sure someone asks Yu Suzuki about Shenmue III whenever he makes a public appearance. It's unavoidable, as Centrale already stated.

As for a trilogy being more memorable than a duo, that's kind of debatable. People still hound Yu Suzuki with questions of Shenmue III and whether or not it's going to happen. Those two games must be pretty memorable. Besides, sometimes - not always, but sometimes - a third chapter never turns out as well as the last. Twisted Metal 3 (terrible), The Godfather Part III (weak sauce), Return of the Jedi (Death Star Part Deux), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines ("Talk to the hand....") The Dark Knight Rises (Robin?!) and Superman III....

Sometimes you should just stop at 2. *shivers*
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

3raser

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2013, 11:49:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure someone asks Yu Suzuki about Shenmue III whenever he makes a public appearance. It's unavoidable, as Centrale already stated.

As for a trilogy being more memorable than a duo, that's kind of debatable. People still hound Yu Suzuki with questions of Shenmue III and whether or not it's going to happen. Those two games must be pretty memorable. Besides, sometimes - not always, but sometimes - a third chapter never turns out as well as the last. Twisted Metal 3 (terrible), The Godfather Part III (weak sauce), Return of the Jedi (Death Star Part Deux), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines ("Talk to the hand....") The Dark Knight Rises (Robin?!) and Superman III....

Sometimes you should just stop at 2. *shivers*

It all depends on your opinion, really. I actually liked two of the ones that you mentioned. If you look at some of the best trilogies, then you would think trilogies were good. If you look at the worst, then they look bad. Shenmue III could be a very good game as long as Sega thoroughly thinks it through. It is very possible that someone could convince Yu that he should finally give in and create a Shenmue III. He is probably fed up with the people who want it so much that he might just make the game.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:12 am »
It's a matter of opinion, sure. That doesn't make it invalid though. Especially since I took many opinions into account when writing that statement and I didn't say all trilogies are bad. I said "sometimes you should stop at 2." Believe it or not, I enjoy Return of the Jedi. However, I wouldn't say it was the high-water mark of the franchise....most fans wouldn't.

Movies may be an unfair comparison, so I'll stick to games. To be fair, I do enjoy a good 3. I think Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is better than the last. Critically and financially speaking, it faired better than its predecessor. I'd go so far as to call that a certified hit, while I'm sure not everyone enjoys it. Still, its success is undeniable. Grand Theft Auto III is stellar in many respects. I can't say the same about Twisted Metal III, or Silent Hill 3, or Resident Evil 3, or Tomb Raider 3. The last few may have recieved some praise here and there, but they're not held in the same high regard as their previous entries, nor did they sell as well. Not really. I'm not saying they're terrible; just not as good.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

3raser

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:41 am »
It's a matter of opinion, sure. That doesn't make it invalid though. Especially since I took many opinions into account when writing that statement and I didn't say all trilogies are bad. I said "sometimes you should stop at 2." Believe it or not, I enjoy Return of the Jedi. However, I wouldn't say it was the high-water mark of the franchise....most fans wouldn't.

Movies may be an unfair comparison, so I'll stick to games. To be fair, I do enjoy a good 3. I think Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is better than the last. Critically and financially speaking, it faired better than its predecessor. I'd go so far as to call that a certified hit, while I'm sure not everyone enjoys it. Still, its success is undeniable. Grand Theft Auto III is stellar in many respects. I can't say the same about Twisted Metal III, or Silent Hill 3, or Resident Evil 3, or Tomb Raider 3. The last few may have recieved some praise here and there, but they're not held in the same high regard as their previous entries, nor did they sell as well. Not really. I'm not saying they're terrible; just not as good.

I agree with most of what you are saying. It would be difficult to make a bad Shenmue III because it is such a great series; however we could have said that about certain Sonic games that had very low success like the one in 2006. It would be impossible to know if the game quality would be good until someone tried it. Sega has recently been developing better games, so they would probably make a very nice Shenmue III game, if they released it any time this year or next year. Of course that is also just an opinion.

3raser

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2013, 04:42:43 am »

Offline pcm92

« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2013, 05:49:56 am »
These links are important to look over, if there are any of you that do not think Shenmue III is a possibility.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/03/french-reporter-says-yu-suzuki-hasn-39-t-ruled-out-shenmue-3-kickstarter.aspx.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/21/david-cage-and-yu-suzuki-discuss-shenmue-and-story-telling/

http://www.screwattack.com/news/reporter-claims-there’s-possibility-shenmue-3-kickstarter?page=1

You posted about Toshiba buying Sega a long time ago. That obviously turned out to be false. I could post a bunch of random forum posts about something too. It just means that a lot of people are talking about it, which does not make anything true.

3raser

« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2013, 06:59:16 am »
You posted about Toshiba buying Sega a long time ago. That obviously turned out to be false. I could post a bunch of random forum posts about something too. It just means that a lot of people are talking about it, which does not make anything true.

No. I did not say that I thought Toshiba would buy Sega. I simply said that Toshiba could buy part of Sega to make Sega sponsored laptops. That was a different topic entirely. I realize that Shenmue III has not officially been announced yet. It's just that a lot of people are talking about it. Shenmue II was the only game that could beat Shenmue. Shenmue III will be the only game to beat Shenmue II. Once again, that's only my opinion. At the same time it's only your opinion that Shenmue III will not be made. The websites that I just listed were not forum posts. They were news of Yu Suzuki, the creator of the franchise, talking about the future of Shenmue games with a French journalist.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2013, 05:52:38 am »
No. I did not say that I thought Toshiba would buy Sega. I simply said that Toshiba could buy part of Sega to make Sega sponsored laptops. That was a different topic entirely. I realize that Shenmue III has not officially been announced yet. It's just that a lot of people are talking about it. Shenmue II was the only game that could beat Shenmue. Shenmue III will be the only game to beat Shenmue II. Once again, that's only my opinion. At the same time it's only your opinion that Shenmue III will not be made. The websites that I just listed were not forum posts. They were news of Yu Suzuki, the creator of the franchise, talking about the future of Shenmue games with a French journalist.

Yu Suzuki said he would not make another Shenmue III in those very threads. I have nothing more to say to you about this topic.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2013, 08:58:48 am »
Yu Suzuki said he would not make another Shenmue III in those very threads. I have nothing more to say to you about this topic.

Uhh... no he didn't. He's said quite the opposite. Not only has he stated that he wants to make it, he has said that he feels he must make it. Whether or not he can find a way to get the financial backing is what everyone is wondering about, but there isn't any doubt that he wants to do it.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2013, 04:17:50 am »
Uhh... no he didn't. He's said quite the opposite. Not only has he stated that he wants to make it, he has said that he feels he must make it. Whether or not he can find a way to get the financial backing is what everyone is wondering about, but there isn't any doubt that he wants to do it.

Then he will not make much money from it. He would probably just be wasting money and time. Hardly anyone remembers the first two games. They had very negative reception.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2013, 07:41:14 am »
You're either trolling or you just don't know what you're talking about.