Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668242 times)

3raser

Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2013, 05:22:09 am »
Then he will not make much money from it. He would probably just be wasting money and time. Hardly anyone remembers the first two games. They had very negative reception.

You are wasting our time by telling us how unsuccessful the games will be. You have your right to an opinion just like everyone else. I respect your opinion, if you respect mine. I know it would be difficult for true Shenmue fans to convince the people of Sega and Yu Suzuki himself to creat the game. It's just that in the links he was speaking of a kickstart we for a third game. He was not saying that he would stop the franchise entirely.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2013, 12:48:57 pm »
You are wasting our time by telling us how unsuccessful the games will be. You have your right to an opinion just like everyone else. I respect your opinion, if you respect mine. I know it would be difficult for true Shenmue fans to convince the people of Sega and Yu Suzuki himself to creat the game. It's just that in the links he was speaking of a kickstart we for a third game. He was not saying that he would stop the franchise entirely.

Allow me to be just a little more constructive about this. Sega would need to do the impossible. They would need to create a game as a sequel to two of the worst games ever made. They would need the following:

1. Spare time.
2. About $700,000.
3. Actually wanting to do it.
4. Yu's permission.
5. Take their mind off of the many other games they are working on.
6. Good advertising.
7. Many people that actually want to play it.
8. The right game engine.

If they could manage all of that, then they must be the best gaming company in the world. They would be able to create a Dreamcast 2, Sonic Adventure 3, Yakuza 7 - 100, Skies of Arcadia 2, and many other games/systems.

Now do you see how silly it sounds?

3raser

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:52 am »
I appreciate the fact that you finally decided to be more constructive; however before you said you did not have anything else to say to me about this topic. You have also said some of the same things over and over. I'm not sure what you are trying to do. If you do not support a Shenmue III, then why would you want to post anything in a Shenmue III thread? Thanks for bumping the thread again for no reason.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2013, 07:40:01 am »
They would need to create a game as a sequel to two of the worst games ever made.

Saying crap like that makes YOU the one sounding silly. "two of the worst games ever made"? Come the fuck on man. I mean, there are opinions and then there is flat out bullshit.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
^Dude, there's not even a jump button LOL

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2013, 05:04:43 pm »
^Dude, there's not even a jump button LOL

and you cant steal cars

and old japan sux!!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2013, 05:37:11 pm »
In real life, people don't jump. I can't even think of the last time a jump factored into a day-to-day activity. Shenmue is as real as you can get.

3raser

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »
I'm not sure what everyone is speaking of when they say "jump". Everyone might try and be rude to pcm92; however it is not a good thing to be rude to him/her or anyone else. That's just a friendly suggestion. I mean, at least he/she decided to be a bit more constructive than what was previously stated.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2013, 07:30:48 pm »
In real life, people don't jump. I can't even think of the last time a jump factored into a day-to-day activity. Shenmue is as real as you can get.

That is bullshit! I jump all the fucking time! My God, I didn't realize how terrible the Shenmue series was until now. I mean, no fucking 'JUMP' button?! Jesus, I'm taking back everything I ever said about Yu Suzuki's brilliance and the entire Shenmue franchise. To Hell with Shenmue....

ROTFLMAO! I'm just joshin' ya'. Seriously. Shenmue's awesome!
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline pcm92

« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2013, 01:23:06 pm »
I appreciate the fact that you finally decided to be more constructive; however before you said you did not have anything else to say to me about this topic. You have also said some of the same things over and over. I'm not sure what you are trying to do. If you do not support a Shenmue III, then why would you want to post anything in a Shenmue III thread? Thanks for bumping the thread again for no reason.

You make a good point. I just don't see why this thread lasted for so long. I also don't think Sega would want to do it because of the budget situation and the poor sales it would have with a new Shenmue game. Of course, I might be wrong. I'm sorry if I ever sounded like I was being rude.

Offline MrFranklin

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »
I'm on the fence in regards to how I feel about Shenmue III right now. Back when the first one came out I was absolutely blown away by it. It felt to me to be way ahead of its time completely drawing you into the intriguing world it had set out for you, more interactive than many modern takes on the almost "interactive movie" genre of game. Be it the time based events or the simplest things I could interact with, I loved the game except maybe the having to actually go to work on time in a video game but even that was fascinating.

Then we got to Shenmue II which I had to first frustratingly experience in Japanese which really broke the pace for me. Sure the English voice acting was never mind blowing but I prefer to play big epic stories like this in English. Then later I got to play it again in English on the Xbox - I probably enjoyed the game as much as the first one. Left on a huge cliff hanger and since then it has just been stuck in limbo to the point I've more or less given up. I mean we pretty much all know how it is going to end anyway right?

These games couldn't make their money back, back in the day. In today's world could this work with modern standards, would enough people buy it? Have that many people played it? I mean the first game was Dreamcast exclusive. I would like to see a Shenmue III, I'd love to see what they can achieve with modern technology but I can see it being pure fan service at this point. I can't see it selling well.

Offline pcm92

« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »
I'm on the fence in regards to how I feel about Shenmue III right now. Back when the first one came out I was absolutely blown away by it. It felt to me to be way ahead of its time completely drawing you into the intriguing world it had set out for you, more interactive than many modern takes on the almost "interactive movie" genre of game. Be it the time based events or the simplest things I could interact with, I loved the game except maybe the having to actually go to work on time in a video game but even that was fascinating.

Then we got to Shenmue II which I had to first frustratingly experience in Japanese which really broke the pace for me. Sure the English voice acting was never mind blowing but I prefer to play big epic stories like this in English. Then later I got to play it again in English on the Xbox - I probably enjoyed the game as much as the first one. Left on a huge cliff hanger and since then it has just been stuck in limbo to the point I've more or less given up. I mean we pretty much all know how it is going to end anyway right?

These games couldn't make their money back, back in the day. In today's world could this work with modern standards, would enough people buy it? Have that many people played it? I mean the first game was Dreamcast exclusive. I would like to see a Shenmue III, I'd love to see what they can achieve with modern technology but I can see it being pure fan service at this point. I can't see it selling well.

You're right about the game not selling well. The second game had lower sales than the first, so I don't think a third instalment would be a good idea.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:20 am »
I think the second game unfortunately got caught up in the discontinuation of the Dreamcast. It was only released for Dreamcast in Japan and Europe, while in North America its release was delayed for a year so it could be ported to the first Xbox, and the Dreamcast version was cancelled. Personally, I think if it had been released on schedule as originally planned, it would have been a million-seller like the first one. But, that's not how it worked out. At this point I think if there was a third game preceded by HD rereleases of the first two, we could expect sales of about 350 - 500,000. With a more efficient development process compared to the original, I think it could be made on a more modest budget and recoup the expenses to make it. I'd look to it primarily being a digital release, with a limited collectors' edition priced at a premium for the superfans.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:12 pm »
Recently translated video of an interview with Yu Suzuki in March 2013, by Kenji Seang. I really appreciate this guy's thoughtful interviews.

http://youtu.be/OgbkkLIT-Mo

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2013, 06:54:56 am »
Heartwarming..

But what does he mean "aquire Shenmue license from Sega"? Isn't he at Sega anymore?
SEG4GES