Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 667784 times)

3raser

Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2014, 04:02:23 pm »
It's sorta hard to go back to a story-driven game that last saw a release over 12 years ago and then try to tell its third chapter. Can't imagine how Shenmue III would appeal to anyone other than the small but vocal Shenmue fanbase. IMO, Sega would need to do HD rereleases of the first two games or a complete reboot before even thinking about Shenmue III.

SEGA would not have to do this in order to sell a successfull Shenmue III. All they would have to do is make the game and release it. All of the Shenmue fans from before would be thrilled that their dream of playing a new Shenmue game after all these years had come true. Yu Suzuki wants to do it. The only problem is who owns the liscense to the franchise. If SEGA would finally let him make the game with them, then it would definately sell. Even people who have never heard of the series would give it a try. Japanese games sell very good in the U.K. and the U.S.

It's the game that every true SEGA fan has been waiting for!

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #196 on: May 03, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »

I'm a Sega fan. I haven't been waiting for it because it was already released. That's right! Shenmue 3 was not released under Sega. It was released under United Front. They were so good at creating Shenmue 3 that they used a new title. A Shenmue 4 is going to be released too. Here is how: Shenmue 3=Sleeping Dogs. Shenmue 4=Sleeping Dogs 2: Triad Wars.

Offline Saturn Memories

• Total Meseta: 3
  • In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »
SEGA would not have to do this in order to sell a successfull Shenmue III. All they would have to do is make the game and release it. All of the Shenmue fans from before would be thrilled that their dream of playing a new Shenmue game after all these years had come true. Yu Suzuki wants to do it. The only problem is who owns the liscense to the franchise. If SEGA would finally let him make the game with them, then it would definately sell. Even people who have never heard of the series would give it a try. Japanese games sell very good in the U.K. and the U.S.

Vocal minority, dude. Try taking off the nostalgia goggles.
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!
Twitter: @SaturnMemories

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2014, 06:51:46 am »
Here is a good idea, why don't they do Shenmue III for the Dreamcast, and release the original Shenmue Saturn build ( which has tons of video ), with the bicycle and original story. Why not? I am sure somebody would jump up, for Shenmue Sega saturn? They could call it the fan release of the game, and pre-order just like how Falcom, has an english page, but ships everything express. I wouldn't mind paying -200, for a new Shenmue, as long as I get to play the complete Saturn build. Maybe even have video records, showcasing VR2 work environment, and a bit of their home life ( I know too much to ask for ).

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »
Here is a good idea, why don't they do Shenmue III for the Dreamcast, and release the original Shenmue Saturn build ( which has tons of video ), with the bicycle and original story. Why not? I am sure somebody would jump up, for Shenmue Sega saturn? They could call it the fan release of the game, and pre-order just like how Falcom, has an english page, but ships everything express. I wouldn't mind paying -200, for a new Shenmue, as long as I get to play the complete Saturn build. Maybe even have video records, showcasing VR2 work environment, and a bit of their home life ( I know too much to ask for ).

1. For one game, Sega would need a disc pressing company to convert their equipment over to manufacture two obsolete types of discs. For the Saturn, they would have to press CDs with a security ring. For the Dreamcast, GD-ROMs. It would cost a lot.

2. Assuming Sega even knows where the source code is, Shenmue on the Saturn probably isn't anywhere close to a finished or even playable game.

3. The first Shenmue game only sold 1.2 million copies worldwide. Sega would have to count on a significant number of that 1.2 million to buy the game again. A 15-year-old game... Released on an obsolete medium... That would have to be sold for hundreds of dollars per unit...

In short: too expensive, no market.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:23:45 pm by Saturn Memories »
Saturn Memories: A look back upon Sega in the mid-'90s. Featuring Saturn, ST-V, Model 2, and MORE!

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2014, 02:13:57 am »
Something tells me he wasn't serious.

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2014, 03:42:39 am »

Try reading some of his other posts and think it over again.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:53 am »

He was. He posted something very similar before. Shenmue I & II will never have a sequel. This was even claimed by Sega at one point. Think about it. Why would they wait more than fifteen years to make a sequel?

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2014, 02:43:58 am »
He was. He posted something very similar before. Shenmue I & II will never have a sequel. This was even claimed by Sega at one point. Think about it. Why would they wait more than fifteen years to make a sequel?

Sega giving up on Yakuza in the West pretty much seals the deal, I think.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »
1. You see, while the Dreamcast was selling, their was also people, making copies of the official disc. Pretty sure SEGA, has a bypass for that soughta thing. Sega could make a freeloader boot disc, to load from CD, if they had to. People could buy that in the package as well.

2. Shenmue for the Saturn was reported finished, by it's creator.

3. People would be buying the Shenmue Saturn, and Shenmue III, Dreamcast. Together in one package. Not seperated. So people will have two reasons to buy Shenmue. People who do not want either, could always pawn it, if they feel like it.

NEver got into Yukazaa. It looked good on paper, but I heard it was flop. I sitll want to check it out. Poor SEGA and all the greatness left on the X-box.

Offline Saturn Memories

• In orbit around 1996.
    • Saturn Memories
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2014, 01:29:36 am »
1. You see, while the Dreamcast was selling, their was also people, making copies of the official disc. Pretty sure SEGA, has a bypass for that soughta thing. Sega could make a freeloader boot disc, to load from CD, if they had to. People could buy that in the package as well.

So you expect them to create something similar to the Utopia boot disc and give people instructions on how to swap discs and such... LOL... Okay, even if they would do something like that, how about the Saturn? There is no equivalent to a boot disc for that system. If you're going to swap, you need an official disc to boot from, and you need to be quick and worry about damaging your optical drive in the process.

2. Shenmue for the Saturn was reported finished, by it's creator.

Link to an article where Yu Suzuki says that. You might be right, but I'd still like to see where he said it.

3. People would be buying the Shenmue Saturn, and Shenmue III, Dreamcast. Together in one package. Not seperated. So people will have two reasons to buy Shenmue. People who do not want either, could always pawn it, if they feel like it.

You don't see Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo doing this for any of their old games/consoles, not even with games that were hits. It's asinine. No one wants this. New gamers won't play them because they don't own these old consoles, and collectors don't want this because it floods the market with remakes that undermine the value of original releases.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2014, 10:08:47 am »
So you expect them to create something similar to the Utopia boot disc

Look, people are making Dreamcast games right now, are they using the official GD-rom writers to make them? If we use CD's so what?

Also on a Saturn, you just need to find a way to cover up the region code ( which is located on the edge of all discs ). I think a "disc skin" should do the job. I never tried them, they were protective covering for discs, but the coverings went to the edge of the disc itself. As long as you can block the laser from reading that region code, a Saturn game could load.

Also why not make a simple boot disc. So what if people can load copies. It is about the respect of the product itself, not the amount of copies being made.

Link to an article where Yu Suzuki says that. You might be right, but I'd still like to see where he said it.

I do remember an article or translated articles. But Shenmue two for the Dreamcast is really the original Shenmue. That is why some of the footage from the Saturn game looks simular from the second game. I will try if I get the chance to, but I do remember reading the game was mostly done, but late in the life of the SS, only because AM2 wanted to show off it's finest work.

You don't see Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo doing this for any of their old games/consoles, not even with games that were hits. It's asinine. No one wants this. New gamers won't play them because they don't own these old consoles, and collectors don't want this because it floods the market with remakes that undermine the value of original releases.

New gamers are the children of the older gamers. New gamers could be given pong, and call it fun.
We know what is best for our children, and that is what we grewed up with, for those of us, who were blessed or lucky. However that is the point. The point is preserving what we have, instead of casting it to the shadows. If it could be done in Japan, why not over here?

The only person who could believe what you are saying is a bum. Only a bum, with a r-tard phone, could get any joy out of DLC. That is the future you are talking about. Where you can never ever, ever own a videogame. Where you can never own anything at all. We are just patrons on the Star Treck enterprise. You see that area of the ship, that gets blown to bits, that us, right? The expendables, in red getting phasered, and lasered away.

I have a home, and it might not be perfect, but I want real things lining my walls. A fire could happen, a break n' entry, or even an home invasion ( in fact somebody broke into my house four, times already ). At least I have my beloved prized junk, that is a real product. When every bum outside will be like "Hey lets go down to Bon!!don!!, house, he has a giant 180 exHd, I will bring my r-tard phone ( PSP ) and plug it into the exHDmi-Mini. Then I am going to dail up into the service for all the DLC, and with the lighting fast, but no privacy speed of Don! connection, I am going to load the game from the server.

So basically your expecting me to have a job, so I can have my phone service, which includes my internet service. If not, your expecting Bon! to have a job, to pay for his rental, morgage, etc, so he can have a place to store his 360" display. So we can take full advantage of the exHd components I or Don! owns, so we can use our wireless controllers that automatically picks up off the r-tard phone.

Then we might get bored with a game, because my imaginary game server, has a bunch of titles, all with previews and links to video game plays. No more of "keep your hands of my games".

Lets think about this again. A game system that is my phone, that has no privacy, and can only load what is available ( like Netflicks ). Basically I am paying a tax for something that has no trade value.

Microsoft does not have a system, they have a government contract, with bankers. The contract forces big business ( educational, hospitals, non-for-profit, and anybody on the governments tab  ),
to update on purpose. Otherwise they would not have a business. We the end consumer are affected when we are forced to purchase their products. Speaking of which the new 720 looks like crap.

It's asinine.

My asinining idea, is that you could make a game for whatever system you want, put a cassette/cartridge inside the case with the disc, or even flash, and have a product that will be sought after for years.

Not just hey lets collect the money and leave the consumer with a cable subscription, and a really big flat screen, just like the ones from "Futurama". A bunch of flatscreens that can never upscale, never use a regular light gun, and never look normal to the eyes ( because it is always a wide screen. A bunch of gamplay where the entire environment is paraded around, and the character is this little small dot, on this great big gigantic display.

My idea is, I know myself. I know what is good for myself, I know what is good for my children, I know what is good for the future. I mean yes being materialistic is wrong. Then again I am no Jue, so I was never taught "Thou shall not own products, that will rust and mold". In fact I love the Japanese idea, that "If I own something long enough, it will turn into a Raccon Dog" or come to life, bit.

:: had morning walk ::

I was just thinking about this, as I had my morning walk. Okay I am going to buy Shenmue 3 on a device that is supported by people who do not love the things I love and they allowing me to purchase a subscription, that leaves me with something I might not play for anoter five years or so? Then the subscription might not exsist or the service might not exsist. I am going to support that cable subscription, to bu.....play...play, Shenmue 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11??? But I will never own a physical copy.

I feel robbed and I feel my purchased will be robbed. There is alot angry poor people out their poorer then me, and they are willing to take the DLC, because it is free. There are a lot of angry rich people, who do not want people to own anything at all. Old money does not like new money,
and vice versa. Rich people wants to keep getting rich, knowing the consumer is going to buy into
it.

SEGA already calculated this. They predicted keeping up with hardware would cost too much. They also known the attention they want from a product, will not gain as much because of many thing I mentioned, in my last post. That is why SEGA will not release Shenmue. The time is not right, and the consumers known it too. SEGA wants both the original consumers, and their children to purchase Shenmue, and play it side by side or alone. They want everybody to be happy. They do not want to look like the enemy.

SEGA also made a mistake already doing this. They decided to work on the X-box, over Nintendo. However nowadays people are playing the GCN games on the Wii/WiiU. You rarely see anybody talk about the non-GCN games. Why is everybody still messing with the GCN, over the X-box??? If all of SEGA games were on the GCN over the X-box they would have saved some money. There is not one X-box release that SEGA has made, that everybody is going gaga crazy over. They could have been working on the Dreamcast release of these games as well.

Look at Resident Evil. Look at Resident Evil 1.5 and 2.5, a game that has yet to see an official release. Capcom could have made some dollars, package the game with RE5, and RE6. They could have released the dancing baby, and super violent directors cut of version of RE4 for the GCN inside an PS3 box.

That is the future. Your going to see game creators appease to the over all audience. Not just whatever r-tard anti-privacy women perse tinker toy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:10:45 am by RegalSin »

3raser

« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2014, 05:37:24 pm »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/05/yu-suzuki-talks-shenmue-3

I definately don't think it is over with. I think the new generation of consoles definately has potential to make the game. The rest of you who do not agree are just being too pessimistic. The two major consoles that have been released are the Xbox One and the PS4. The minor console was the WiiU. They all three release Japanese related video games. Sleeping Dogs was nothing like a shenmue game. I don't want to play as an undercover police officer. I want to play as Ryo Hazuki!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #208 on: May 21, 2014, 07:53:25 pm »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/05/yu-suzuki-talks-shenmue-3

I definately don't think it is over with. I think the new generation of consoles definately has potential to make the game. The rest of you who do not agree are just being too pessimistic. The two major consoles that have been released are the Xbox One and the PS4. The minor console was the WiiU. They all three release Japanese related video games. Sleeping Dogs was nothing like a shenmue game. I don't want to play as an undercover police officer. I want to play as Ryo Hazuki!

But it's not up to the consoles, it's up to SEGA which in turn is up to whatever deals they make with Sony or MS. Problem is, SEGA can't afford such a risk like Shenmue 3 and neither Sony or MS appear to be in need of a Shenmue revival to bolster their sales. One could argue that Nintendo may be desperate enough, but I honestly think Nintendo looks to their own IPs before resorting to others. With Bayonetta 2, the game was a proven success and is much cheaper to produce than a third Shenmue, plus the franchise is relatively new compared to Shenmue and the dev team are equipped to make a sequel. Shenmue, meanwhile, would require getting Suzuki back into developing AAA titles and assembling a sizable team to make the game.

It's not being pessimistic, it's being realistic. I still think Shenmue 3 is possible, but it is a very very slim chance. The only ways I could see it happening is if (A) one of the major console makers inks a deal with SEGA to make the game an exclusive (B) a SEGA studio or external dev, or a mix of both teams works with Suzuki and (C) somebody in a powerful position actually green lights the thing.