Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673444 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #285 on: June 27, 2014, 12:22:45 pm »
As much as it is just a gag, is this the first we've seen of an official "III" made by Yu?

All the others have been fanmade, but this looks legit. At the very least, he might have old assets he pulls from.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2014, 12:40:41 pm »
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2014, 01:35:08 pm »
Surely Yu Suzuki must have known that this behaviour is just plain cruel at this stage :p

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2014, 02:00:24 pm »
thinking positively, he has been in the spotlight a lot recently after many years of being quiet and he talks about how much he would like to make Shenmue 3 regularly... And weirdly enough I think recently the series has gained a lot more interest and the game has reached some kind of legendary status...

Maybe he is testing the water, seeing if there is still interest or trying to bait a publisher to give him funding... Well I can only hope.
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2014, 09:33:57 am »
thinking positively, he has been in the spotlight a lot recently after many years of being quiet and he talks about how much he would like to make Shenmue 3 regularly... And weirdly enough I think recently the series has gained a lot more interest and the game has reached some kind of legendary status...

Maybe he is testing the water, seeing if there is still interest or trying to bait a publisher to give him funding... Well I can only hope.

I'm sure if that's happening Sega would license the game out. I mean that's really been the real reason why SHENMUE sequels has stalled because they wanted the game as an exclusive for a system and share the costs mainly marketing etc between them. Yu still has enough respect that if that was the case they would give it out, they did it before with SHENMUE and with VF on mobile. But i'd expect Sega would want a big cut since they own the SHENMUE assets and they have the code that Yu would need to build any new game from.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #290 on: July 01, 2014, 10:26:38 am »
What's interesting about that event in Spain last week, aside from the first time we've seen a III logo from Yu Suzuki himself, is that he stated publicly for the first time that he wants to make Shenmue III and Shenmue IV to finish the story.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #291 on: July 01, 2014, 02:07:56 pm »
Hasn't he said that he wants to make Shenmue III several times in the past? The talk about an episodic format is something I particularly remember from the past.

But I don't remember hearing anything about a fourth game. I would think it's not in his interest to make a fourth one, if a third one does get the go-ahead.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #292 on: July 01, 2014, 02:30:16 pm »
Hasn't he said that he wants to make Shenmue III several times in the past? The talk about an episodic format is something I particularly remember from the past.

But I don't remember hearing anything about a fourth game. I would think it's not in his interest to make a fourth one, if a third one does get the go-ahead.

Something I read regarding all this recent stuff had him mentioning there'd have to be a fourth game since there is so much left. Who knows what would actually happen though...

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #293 on: July 01, 2014, 02:47:42 pm »
Most companies think of games as a Franchise these days and SHENMUE like it or not was thought of as one when Sega tried to spin off the material in various formats in the noughties. Franchise doesn't just include merchandise in the video game world. RYU GA GOTOKU is a franchise because the game has had several spin offs. As Sonic is. And unless you miss the boat there's quite a few SHENMUE merc out there.

Your not really understanding the marketing and advertisement procedures of videogames ( or any other products ). When the N64 debuted, Miyamoto started to come out of the closet ( not that one ), all the attention was focused on him. When in truth the N64 was created by former SGI employees. The N64 unit itself was an westerner technology. Why was it Miyamoto, showing his face this time around? Because people became in love with Japanese culture to the point, where seeing his face was not a shocker to the end consumer. That is why. The second reason is that game consumers started to respect the product, as artworks, and creativity next to films. More importantly, if the end consumer knew who really made the N64, they might have had problems.

Breaking the first rule of products. Never make your product represent you. Why? Because people will have issues ( tangents as Senn and SEGA forums ), with the person behind the product. Political and racial issues.

This was done a second time. Right now the game world is being open to consumers about business matters, why? Because they want to make the consumer feel they are just as important as well. Does the president and his cabinet controls what the programmer, art director, and writer does??? Chances are no. These corporate people do nothing at all, and these corporate words are pointless to the actual product. Look at OCP, when we see Robocop, do we see the people behind OCP, or only OCP??? When we see Robocop, do we see the directors, writers, producers, and studio and their private lives? Does it matter what kind of person you are giving your money too. Would that enterprising give a job to your brother, father, or sister, mother? I say breaking this rule, is not something a person should do.

Again the word franchise. A franchise means that Robocop can be a bowl of Ramen, an toy, an toilet, or even an camera device. To break away the focus from the actual product "Robocop" and focus directly on the company/corporation and do it, in a positive light, is the greatest thing a film studio wants from people. For videogame companies it is also a great thing for them, because it draws attention from the real people behind the product, as well as their ultimate goal. To sell as much fan-products to the consumer.

However we are talking about the actual product itself. Not any products at all. When a representative of a game company, or game comes out and uses the word FRANCHISE. They are disposition you, from the product and what it really is. They are trying to sell you something, that has nothing to do with the product at all, and call it the same product.

So why is that bad for us? Well, remember Megaman????? Remember how great it was to talk about the product itself. Just by saying the words, it makes you feel happy. Megaman....... Your mind if flooded with all the awesome game-play from all the different games. It never feels wrong to think about Megaman.

Now imagine, if Capcom just came out, and started calling Megaman a franchise, and made a couple of movies, animations, boardgames, but not one single game??? In a nutshell they have just swept Megaman under the rug, and made a bunch of cheap products, meant for the fans. I mean oh look Megaman drinking mug, I gots to have it. However that is not megaman at all. Pretty much done the same thing to religion, by selling crucifixions, and statues. I do not want to idolize megaman, or wear little Megaman buttons on my shirt. I want to play Megaman dammit.

Like right now, they made a comic. However that is not Megaman, and is just something fun to read. Then if they made a movie, again not megaman, but fun to see. Same with an megaman drink. Not megaman, but fun to drink. This means a person could be selling Megaman drinks for eternity, and not one Megaman game will ever be made again.

Doremon ( if you know him ), is doing this right now. The original comics, are long gone, and all is left is the revision of the animation, and a bunch of merchandise, that is mostly seen being sold in China. Speaking of Chinese, the first fictional character you will see from China is Mickey mouse.
So many people over their grewed up with Mickey, and is the longest running, and respected ficitional character being sold, to all kinds of people. Heck even I have a Mickey Merchandise, everyone does. However the original cartoons, since Steam Boat Willy, to the ABC family hours, are all gone now. Their hasn't been any new Mickey invention.

Here is a question? Is Shenmue = Mickey = Megaman ??? Do you feel comfortable with Shenmue = Mickey = Megaman???? Is that an good thing?

When we as humans, purchase these things, do we think about the backstabbing corporations. Better yet the people who are inside, that are working against the fictional material we love and hold dear to us, as if it was religious texts. Imagine all the monsters who made money, doing work, related to Pokemon. A ( ficitonal media ) videogame, and now ( franchise ), dolls, books, toys, etc. Imagine what they really think about the people who actually care about the material itself.

In my opinion, video game makers, needs to avoid using corporate words, and respect their products. I remember when we had Bart Simpson, and Sonic Hedgehog floats on tv, during Thanksgiving. I really love those things, because I love the fictional stories, and creative elements of those things. If a parent was to even hear those corporate words, being used at that point in time. I am doubtfully they would have even allowed their children ( us ) to purchase those products.

Do not bring the boardroom, to the public.

TO MAKE THINGS WORST, JUST TO MAKE THINGS WORST.

Because we have erected invisible barriers of globalism. When you do something, like Shenmue, everybody around you is against you. SEGA is in Japan, and it has one group of people, and everybody is everybodies business. The same could be said about the related nations near it.

However for videogames this openess works, without realizing the damage we support.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »

There is a lot of speculation about this, and some of the original plans may have changed, but Shenmue consists of chapters. The first game consists of Chapter 1, while Shenmue II consists of Chapters 3-5 IIRC. (Chapter 2, which told the story of Ryo's journey by sea from Japan to Hong Kong, was omitted from the games). At various times, the entire Shenmue story has been described as being from 11 to 16 chapters total. Sounds like Suzuki has a plan to divide the remaining chapters between two more games.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2014, 04:22:45 am »
At various times, the entire Shenmue story has been described as being from 11 to 16 chapters total. Sounds like Suzuki has a plan to divide the remaining chapters between two more games.

That was the plan at one stage in 1998 , but when SEGA Japan came out and said Shenmue would now be chapter based game, their stock price got smashed to bits . So that plan was dropped
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2014, 11:27:38 am »
Your not really understanding the marketing and advertisement procedures of videogames ( or any other products ). When the N64 debuted, Miyamoto started to come out of the closet ( not that one ), all the attention was focused on him. When in truth the N64 was created by former SGI employees. The N64 unit itself was an westerner technology. Why was it Miyamoto, showing his face this time around? Because people became in love with Japanese culture to the point, where seeing his face was not a shocker to the end consumer. That is why. The second reason is that game consumers started to respect the product, as artworks, and creativity next to films. More importantly, if the end consumer knew who really made the N64, they might have had problems.

Breaking the first rule of products. Never make your product represent you. Why? Because people will have issues ( tangents as Senn and SEGA forums ), with the person behind the product. Political and racial issues.

This was done a second time. Right now the game world is being open to consumers about business matters, why? Because they want to make the consumer feel they are just as important as well. Does the president and his cabinet controls what the programmer, art director, and writer does??? Chances are no. These corporate people do nothing at all, and these corporate words are pointless to the actual product. Look at OCP, when we see Robocop, do we see the people behind OCP, or only OCP??? When we see Robocop, do we see the directors, writers, producers, and studio and their private lives? Does it matter what kind of person you are giving your money too. Would that enterprising give a job to your brother, father, or sister, mother? I say breaking this rule, is not something a person should do.

Again the word franchise. A franchise means that Robocop can be a bowl of Ramen, an toy, an toilet, or even an camera device. To break away the focus from the actual product "Robocop" and focus directly on the company/corporation and do it, in a positive light, is the greatest thing a film studio wants from people. For videogame companies it is also a great thing for them, because it draws attention from the real people behind the product, as well as their ultimate goal. To sell as much fan-products to the consumer.

However we are talking about the actual product itself. Not any products at all. When a representative of a game company, or game comes out and uses the word FRANCHISE. They are disposition you, from the product and what it really is. They are trying to sell you something, that has nothing to do with the product at all, and call it the same product.

So why is that bad for us? Well, remember Megaman? ??? ? Remember how great it was to talk about the product itself. Just by saying the words, it makes you feel happy. Megaman....... Your mind if flooded with all the awesome game-play from all the different games. It never feels wrong to think about Megaman.

Now imagine, if Capcom just came out, and started calling Megaman a franchise, and made a couple of movies, animations, boardgames, but not one single game??? In a nutshell they have just swept Megaman under the rug, and made a bunch of cheap products, meant for the fans. I mean oh look Megaman drinking mug, I gots to have it. However that is not megaman at all. Pretty much done the same thing to religion, by selling crucifixions, and statues. I do not want to idolize megaman, or wear little Megaman buttons on my shirt. I want to play Megaman dammit.

Like right now, they made a comic. However that is not Megaman, and is just something fun to read. Then if they made a movie, again not megaman, but fun to see. Same with an megaman drink. Not megaman, but fun to drink. This means a person could be selling Megaman drinks for eternity, and not one Megaman game will ever be made again.

Doremon ( if you know him ), is doing this right now. The original comics, are long gone, and all is left is the revision of the animation, and a bunch of merchandise, that is mostly seen being sold in China. Speaking of Chinese, the first fictional character you will see from China is Mickey mouse.
So many people over their grewed up with Mickey, and is the longest running, and respected ficitional character being sold, to all kinds of people. Heck even I have a Mickey Merchandise, everyone does. However the original cartoons, since Steam Boat Willy, to the ABC family hours, are all gone now. Their hasn't been any new Mickey invention.

Here is a question? Is Shenmue = Mickey = Megaman ??? Do you feel comfortable with Shenmue = Mickey = Megaman? ??? Is that an good thing?

When we as humans, purchase these things, do we think about the backstabbing corporations. Better yet the people who are inside, that are working against the fictional material we love and hold dear to us, as if it was religious texts. Imagine all the monsters who made money, doing work, related to Pokemon. A ( ficitonal media ) videogame, and now ( franchise ), dolls, books, toys, etc. Imagine what they really think about the people who actually care about the material itself.

In my opinion, video game makers, needs to avoid using corporate words, and respect their products. I remember when we had Bart Simpson, and Sonic Hedgehog floats on tv, during Thanksgiving. I really love those things, because I love the fictional stories, and creative elements of those things. If a parent was to even hear those corporate words, being used at that point in time. I am doubtfully they would have even allowed their children ( us ) to purchase those products.

Do not bring the boardroom, to the public.

TO MAKE THINGS WORST, JUST TO MAKE THINGS WORST.

Because we have erected invisible barriers of globalism. When you do something, like Shenmue, everybody around you is against you. SEGA is in Japan, and it has one group of people, and everybody is everybodies business. The same could be said about the related nations near it.

However for videogames this openess works, without realizing the damage we support.

One. You're an idiot
Two. I understand the market and the corporate side of things more than you're little mind will be able to comprehend.
Three.
Don't talk to me about Doremon i was watching the bloody thing way before you even knew what doreomon was let alone anime. And i mean the proper Doremon not this watered down baloony you have now.
Four.
It really doesn't matter what you think or agree with, ALL video game companies will think like that because a franchise keeps the machine going and makes them more money. Which at the end of the day is what a company like Sega is in for. People who make the games? different story but a company like Sega that bankrolls games and the people who run it, they see many of their products as a potential franchise. Sega alone in the last decade launched 8 video game franchises that had an anime, manga and toy and model kit to go with it, all at the same time. So its obvious on how they are operating.
Five. Do some research on your subject before you come to me with such nonsense again.  And remember were talking about video games here..not some wishy washy global experiement to control peoples minds, which seems to be the gist of this and other posts you keep swamping the forum with.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:29:13 am by ROJM »

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2014, 08:19:15 pm »
That was the plan at one stage in 1998 , but when SEGA Japan came out and said Shenmue would now be chapter based game, their stock price got smashed to bits . So that plan was dropped

1998 and a few years after: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/am2/

This was where the famous timeline picture came from, which loosely storyboards the chapters into future games. Yu Suzuki has mentioned there being 9-16 chapters in numerous interviews, including the one from Spain last week, so the idea never really left, it has instead always been the plan.

Regarding stocks, I'm not sure their stock has ever been that high, I remember looking at it back around 2003 and they were around the $5 mark, and today they still are. Where is your source on the stock price plummeting? If it really did, I doubt Shenmue was the sole wrecking ball.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #298 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:11 am »
Regarding stocks, I'm not sure their stock has ever been that high, I remember looking at it back around 2003 and they were around the $5 mark, and today they still are. Where is your source on the stock price plummeting? If it really did, I doubt Shenmue was the sole wrecking ball.

It was reported in the likes of EDGE and Total Control . SEGA stock too a hit on the news that Shenmue was to be in chapters and then it took another hit when news broke that Shenmue was to be delayed and not make it out in 1999 , but in the end SEGA did it
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #299 on: July 05, 2014, 01:32:42 pm »
Regarding SEGA's stock, it reached a high of $19.50 in 2005.