Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668155 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2014, 08:24:43 am »
I wanted proof of the latter. Yu Suzuki writes the stories of Shenmue, so Sega owns it? If they do, then what's the problem with making the game? I guess they just can't afford it. Oh wait! That's right! You basically said they were the richest company in the world. I suppose now we can expect a new console, a new Sonic Adventure game, and a new Shenmue game. That's what ALL, I repeat, ALL of the Sega fans want.

Ever think they only have all that money because they DON'T make those things? They have money because they make mobile phone games that scam old people and kids out of micro-transactions.
Getting rich, $0.99 at a time!

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:46 am »
I wanted proof of the latter. Yu Suzuki writes the stories of Shenmue, so Sega owns it? If they do, then what's the problem with making the game? I guess they just can't afford it. Oh wait! That's right! You basically said they were the richest company in the world. I suppose now we can expect a new console, a new Sonic Adventure game, and a new Shenmue game. That's what ALL, I repeat, ALL of the Sega fans want.

Well, Shenmue is Sega's Trademark. We'll start with that very basic and easy fact. They own the rights because they paid for the game. Yu Suzuki doesn't own Shenmue any more than Ridley Scott owns Alien.

Actually, here's a fun article from 2012 from Eurogamer. In it, Suzuki discusses how he might go about getting the rights to Shenmue from Sega for his YSNet studio. That took ten seconds on google.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-04-suzuki-we-can-obtain-shenmue-license-from-sega

The problem with making the game, Spock, is that they're a company whose job it is to make money for themselves and their stockholders. Shenmue did not make money on the Dreamcast. It most certainly will not make money now. It would be stupid to make the game, to make a new Dreamcast, to make a Skies of Arcadia, to make a new Jet Set Radio and so on. They've toyed around with all those ideas before (except a new console - that's never been on the table, to my knowledge), and the money just isn't there to be made.

Outside a very vocal group of people, no one gives a shit. A new Shenmue would be trashed in the press and would bomb. Hard. And people would be mad at Sega for "ruining" the franchise.

That's all there is to it.

Incidentally, your sarcasm doesn't become you.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:48:43 am by jonboy101 »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2014, 12:15:04 pm »
Well, Shenmue is Sega's Trademark. We'll start with that very basic and easy fact. They own the rights because they paid for the game. Yu Suzuki doesn't own Shenmue any more than Ridley Scott owns Alien.

Actually, here's a fun article from 2012 from Eurogamer. In it, Suzuki discusses how he might go about getting the rights to Shenmue from Sega for his YSNet studio. That took ten seconds on google.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-04-suzuki-we-can-obtain-shenmue-license-from-sega

The problem with making the game, Spock, is that they're a company whose job it is to make money for themselves and their stockholders. Shenmue did not make money on the Dreamcast. It most certainly will not make money now. It would be stupid to make the game, to make a new Dreamcast, to make a Skies of Arcadia, to make a new Jet Set Radio and so on. They've toyed around with all those ideas before (except a new console - that's never been on the table, to my knowledge), and the money just isn't there to be made.

Outside a very vocal group of people, no one gives a shit. A new Shenmue would be trashed in the press and would bomb. Hard. And people would be mad at Sega for "ruining" the franchise.

That's all there is to it.

Incidentally, your sarcasm doesn't become you.

Exactly. Well done JB for putting him straight. We seem to have a charge of "know it all zealots" led by TA lately who is intent of derailing the thread and  insisting they want this evidence and that..gimme a break. When you giver it to them they're broadcast it all over the internet if its information that isn't meant to be  in the public eye and get people into trouble..while others like this SHENMUE ownership debate isn't worth it since its bloody common knowledge. Really i give up on the zealots who have invaded sega fandom and come here making stupid and indiotic statements. I really do.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2014, 12:26:16 pm »
Exactly. Well done JB for putting him straight. We seem to have a charge of "know it all zealots" led by TA lately who is intent of derailing the thread and  insisting they want this evidence and that..gimme a break.

Excuse me ? You're the one giving people false hope about Shenmue III and Yu Suzuki 3 other SEGA games. I've been saying for years there's next to no hope for Shenmue III how little of the game was even done on the DC  and how Yu Suzuki was semi retired at SEGA (way back in the Nerds days) - Claims which you've rubbished .

Again like the 32X and the Saturn- You're the one changing tune , yet again
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2014, 05:09:50 am »

Excuse me ? You're the one giving people false hope about Shenmue III and Yu Suzuki 3 other SEGA games. I've been saying for years there's next to no hope for Shenmue III how little of the game was even done on the DC  and how Yu Suzuki was semi retired at SEGA (way back in the Nerds days) - Claims which you've rubbished .

Again like the 32X and the Saturn- You're the one changing tune , yet again

Not really since i was talkinga bout it at the period when it was a possibility. Trying to use posts years later that make no reference of me saying its still coming without any viable link, won't change that fact.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #320 on: August 14, 2014, 05:48:25 am »
Not really since i was talkinga bout it at the period when it was a possibility.

Its a possibilty now . The simple facts are and it hasn't change at all for years ago. Is is an IP that didn't sell well , lost money and where the 3rd game would be a massive risk and undertaking .

Now the only one that's changed their tune over Shenmue III over the years is you .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #321 on: August 14, 2014, 06:21:22 am »

Its a possibilty now . The simple facts are and it hasn't change at all for years ago. Is is an IP that didn't sell well , lost money and where the 3rd game would be a massive risk and undertaking .

Now the only one that's changed their tune over Shenmue III over the years is you .

One. The guy asking the question wasn't talking about the game coming back he was talking about the rights to the game.
B the postion of the game has changed down the years so you got that wrong.
third:i have said that they had started on the game back in 2003. That hasn't changed.It exists in one form. Quite different to saying its going to come out. So stop you frigging spinning and score pointing. I don't change my position you do.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #322 on: August 14, 2014, 06:53:13 am »
That hasn't changed.It exists in one form

Yeah the script and in document form . Game: very little of game was ever done 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #323 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:47 am »

Yeah the script and in document form . Game: very little of game was ever done 

That's where we differ. But then you said the game was never announced period.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #324 on: August 14, 2014, 09:13:00 am »
That's where we differ. But then you said the game was never announced period.

No . I said little of the game was ever done and one can look at these pages and use waybackwhen.com to see my posts in the old SEGA nerds days . Everyone will know back then what you said when I dare to make out Yu Suzuki was semi retired at SEGA too . 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #325 on: August 14, 2014, 10:30:44 am »
No . I said little of the game was ever done and one can look at these pages and use waybackwhen.com to see my posts in the old SEGA nerds days . Everyone will know back then what you said when I dare to make out Yu Suzuki was semi retired at SEGA too . 

I never said the game was coming out only that the game had some development ie more than just a script. And you know it.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #326 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:51 pm »
Spock, stop wasting everyone's time. Start educating yourself on game properties and how it works and the legalities involved. Stop living in this wishy washy world where things can be done by the click of your hands. We in this forum has had this discussion on SHENMUE for countless times to go before you came and more likely will have it after you leave.  To most of us were re trending old ground here. The situation isn't going to change just because you can't accept the realities of who owns SHENMUE, The politics involved in making SHENMUE and everything else.
No. Actually, I have been following this topic ever since it started. That was far before I joined this website. I have the right to post in this thread if I want to. Just as much as you. Why do you have a problem with me posting in it? Is it because my opinion is different than yours? I'm not trying to stir anything. I am simply trying to be realistic.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2014, 06:43:16 am »
No. Actually, I have been following this topic ever since it started. That was far before I joined this website. I have the right to post in this thread if I want to. Just as much as you. Why do you have a problem with me posting in it? Is it because my opinion is different than yours? I'm not trying to stir anything. I am simply trying to be realistic.

I never said you didn't have a right. But do some research on the subject before commenting on it or accusing other members that they have no idea on what they are talkng about. SHENMUE has been done to death in this forum for one thing. You aren't saying anything that others didn't say before and again the fact you think Suzuki owns SHENMUE and sega needs his permission to make it is a bit silly. Which is why i doubt you have been here before since then or you would have known that before coming here.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
I never said you didn't have a right. But do some research on the subject before commenting on it or accusing other members that they have no idea on what they are talkng about. SHENMUE has been done to death in this forum for one thing. You aren't saying anything that others didn't say before and again the fact you think Suzuki owns SHENMUE and sega needs his permission to make it is a bit silly. Which is why i doubt you have been here before since then or you would have known that before coming here.
Even if Shenmue III was made, you would not want it. The second game was made twelve years ago. That's as if someone made Spider-Man 4 with Toby Maguire next year. I mean Shenmue was made for a mobile phone game. There would also be way too much competition from Sleeping Dogs to make the game. It would be like how the Dreamcast could not compete with the PS2 all over again. This would mean by far that Sega would not have enough people buying it. Sega does not make too many games centered towards adults (except for the low budget Alien series that hardly anyone likes). Sega is now a children based company. Shenmue III would be ruined if they made it. Sorry to crush your dreams. That's just how it is.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2014, 11:49:55 am »
The Alien games aren't low budget.