Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673008 times)

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »
The Alien games aren't low budget. 
Alien: Isolation had glitches galore, unbalanced gameplay, terrible A.I. and low quality graphics in the single-player game as well as a crude and poorly implemented multiplayer selection. It also didn't even work half the time. If Sega was unable to produce a better game, then that means either they were too lazy to work and make it better or they could not afford to program it. Therefore, it is a low budget series. That's not really the main point I am trying to make though. This is about Shenmue III and how it will never happen.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2014, 08:10:39 am »
Spock, I think you meant Colonial Marines. Isolation ain't out yet.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2014, 08:36:03 am »
Even if Shenmue III was made, you would not want it. The second game was made twelve years ago. That's as if someone made Spider-Man 4 with Toby Maguire next year. I mean Shenmue was made for a mobile phone game. There would also be way too much competition from Sleeping Dogs to make the game. It would be like how the Dreamcast could not compete with the PS2 all over again. This would mean by far that Sega would not have enough people buying it. Sega does not make too many games centered towards adults (except for the low budget Alien series that hardly anyone likes). Sega is now a children based company. Shenmue III would be ruined if they made it. Sorry to crush your dreams. That's just how it is.

Who's dreaming? You're the one who is going on about Yu Suzuki making the title not me. Hardly my dreams being crushed at all.
Second..Sega is hardly a children's company..never really has been. Its a japanese international megacorp that caters to all markets in the electronic entertainment field.
Third: I wouldn't really call SHENMUE an adult game either..OVERKILL is more adult than SHENMUE is.
Forth:JB dealt with ALIENS
Fifth...Sega wants to release SHENMUE as an exclusive which is where in lies the problem. They want company support which many aren't willing to give..so it sits on the shelf..

Offline ROJM

« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2014, 08:38:18 am »
Alien: Isolation had glitches galore, unbalanced gameplay, terrible A.I. and low quality graphics in the single-player game as well as a crude and poorly implemented multiplayer selection. It also didn't even work half the time. If Sega was unable to produce a better game, then that means either they were too lazy to work and make it better or they could not afford to program it. Therefore, it is a low budget series. That's not really the main point I am trying to make though. This is about Shenmue III and how it will never happen.
Or the fact that GBX ripped off Sega and spent their money on Borderlands 2 and Duke Nukem..which is what most likely happened...
And compared to the money SHENMUE got in reserch and development and then actually creating the first games..anything Sega makes can be considered low budget...

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2014, 11:12:24 am »

Aliens: CM was a well documented money pit. It was not low budget. Gearbox famously swindled Sega to fund Borderlands and Duke Nukem, as Joe said.

Sega hired Gearbox (which had a great reputation in 2008) to make CM, and they had the original team behind AvP develop a new one a few years ago. It's not as though Sega's been hiring anonymous teams for their license. Just a combination of bad luck and malicious intent. Isolation looks fantastic.

I'm not really sure you know what you're on about. No one thinks Shenmue will happen. What Joe and I are telling you is just that Sega literally has the money to make it happen; they won't because it won't break even and they aren't interested in making a loss.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #335 on: August 18, 2014, 05:38:25 am »

I'm not really sure you know what you're on about. No one thinks Shenmue will happen. What Joe and I are telling you is just that Sega literally has the money to make it happen; they won't because it won't break even and they aren't interested in making a loss.

"No risk Sega" is basically what we call them now in my social circles. Just content on living off the fat (reputation) of old games while making lazy updates of the same titles or just cashing in on certain crazes that happen to be popular in japan. It really won't be long when they become like Bandai and start producing endless licenses as well...all in the safe zone of japan.
Its good that Sega has the money but they obviously don't have the heart which is probably why most of the old guard of Sega designers/developers have left. Sad since there isn't any obvious talent to replace them. Sega at least had five great creators in the form of Suzuki, Ohba, Kodama,Naka, and Hideki Sato the main sega hardware designer, Sega was untouchable..add to the upcomers at that time with Nagoshi,etc etc..Sega clearly would be well ahead of the game if half those people stayed, got their projects or found their creative spark again which they probably wouldn't have lost if the DC didn't lose the way it did. But you have barely that now in Sega. Even if the mobile games that make tones of money is a good thing its not anything that stands out like a lot of Sega software use to do. But that is the problem, the stand out games don't make money and the genric ones do...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #336 on: August 18, 2014, 07:44:08 am »
Spock, I think you meant Colonial Marines. Isolation ain't out yet.

Spock is from the future. I saw it in that horrible movie with lens flares that everyone loved.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:04 am »
So this HD fan remake. How long before it is taken down by Srs-Sega?
SEG4GES

Offline ROJM

« Reply #338 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »
So this HD fan remake. How long before it is taken down by Srs-Sega?

More likely they will end up hiring the guy to help them create their official HD remakes of SHENMUE like they did with the Sonic HD games..if his HD is well received and looks good..

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #339 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:53 pm »
Sega could just give him a small team and let them remake the whole thing.. Would be a low investment, and an interesting market probe for Shenmue.
SEG4GES

Offline Spock

« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2014, 08:05:50 am »
More likely they will end up hiring the guy to help them create their official HD remakes of SHENMUE like they did with the Sonic HD games..if his HD is well received and looks good..
An HD version is already in the process of being made. This is NOT a Shenmue III. It is simply a remake of the first game with slightly better graphics.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/08/18/fan-making-shenmue-hd-remastered/

They can do this. As long as no one makes an entirely different Shenmue game, I think the Shenmue franchise will never be ruined.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #341 on: August 23, 2014, 09:28:58 am »
An HD version is already in the process of being made. This is NOT a Shenmue III. It is simply a remake of the first game with slightly better graphics.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/08/18/fan-making-shenmue-hd-remastered/

They can do this. As long as no one makes an entirely different Shenmue game, I think the Shenmue franchise will never be ruined.

I or anybody else never said it was SHENMUE 3. Learn to read for goodness sake.... ::)

Offline Spock

« Reply #342 on: August 27, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »
I or anybody else never said it was SHENMUE 3. Learn to read for goodness sake.... ::)
I knew you would assume it was a Shenmue III because I did not think you would be able to read the link I posted. That is why I posted "NOT SHENMUE III."

Offline ROJM

« Reply #343 on: August 30, 2014, 11:32:31 am »
I knew you would assume it was a Shenmue III because I did not think you would be able to read the link I posted. That is why I posted "NOT SHENMUE III."

They fall for it everytime.....

Offline Spock

« Reply #344 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:50 pm »
Sega could just give him a small team and let them remake the whole thing.. Would be a low investment, and an interesting market probe for Shenmue.
Wait... I just realized you said it would be a low investment. Isn't the idea to have a higher investment, so that Sega could make more money? I think that Shenmue is a terrible franchise to revive for multiple reasons that I have previously discussed. I mean, no one - other than the people who post stuff on these forums - hardly even remembers Shenmue games. Dreamcast, sure. I mean, people thought the Dreamcast was a great competitor for the PS2, until Sony announced that it was compatible with high speed internet access and was equipped with better graphics. It even had a DVD player. The Dreamcast may have had a CD player. It just had too many issued, such as actually screwing up the system entirely. On top of that, PS2 had a faster load and save time. People easily went with the PS2, so they can't hardly remember too many games on Dreamcast. Especially not a lame game like Shenmue or the awful sequel it had. The first game was two star at best. I can't even give a half star for the second game. A third game would just be rediculous. Can you name a 3 to any film of video game series that turned out good? I can not think of one at all.