Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668041 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:04 am »
I think Ryo will ultimately come to realize that Lan Di and the Chiyoumen he's fighting against are personifications of who he would become if he were to continue on the path to revenge. Especially if he ends up meeting Xiuying's brother at some point. You can almost see it in Ryo's demeanor when he watches Lan Di escape on the helicopter - he's not standing there screaming at him or otherwise threatening him. He's still going to come after him, but he's starting to register what his mentors along his journey have been saying. Maybe even Lan Di sees something of himself in Ryo, recognizing that they're both just enacting a cycle of revenge that will continue indefinitely unless someone can break it. But aside from that arc of personal growth, I think there must be additional elements regarding the seemingly magical properties of the mirrors that will open up the story in an unexpected direction.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2015, 04:19:44 am »
TA, how do you know if its a revenge film? Have you played it

Unlike you Geroge .. Yes I play the games

Looking over the intro to Shenmue . I'll just leave you with a simple quote from Ryo....

They killed my father right in front of me... I will have my revenge! I need to do this, for my father

Now if that isn't a clinched revenge plot seen in counltess films
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:06 am »

No need for insults. I know ROJM put up with it, but don't start insulting forum members. Also, who is Geroge?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »

Looking over the intro to Shenmue . I'll just leave you with a simple quote from Ryo....

Now if that isn't a clinched revenge plot seen in counltess films
Cool story, bro.

Its obvious you lost the argument the moment you started insulting me. If you have proof that the 3rd game (that was unreleased) was going to be about Ryo's revenge, post it. All your proof has been is 'Chinese revenge films' etc. Yet our prove around here have been scenes within the game foreshadowing including the story of Xiuying Hong and her brother, who fell victiem into the cycle of revenge. One of the main themes of that chapter was for the player to understand that revenge isn't always the answer. Not only that, Yu Suzuki stated the same thing.

Yet, according to you, some revenge flicks don't hit on that note, so we are all wrong and never play video games.

Great logic you have going on there. 

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2015, 03:12:04 pm »
Its obvious you lost the argument the moment you started insulting me

Hang on you asked me had I played the game - so you lost it before me (if you going to make out,  that syaing you not played a game is a insult) . You have a lot to say on the likes of Assians Creed Unity and the like  one little look at your gammer tag shows you haven't even played the game at all . I play the games at the end of the day or make it clear if I haven't.

Now the basic story to Shenmue is Revenge, it's what makes Ryo set out on his quest after all and Its been done a million times before : A young boy see's his father getting killed, while he's not strong enough or well trainned enough in Martial Arts to be able to take on and save their father at the time and so vows revenge and to study and train hard to be able to have their revenge .

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:13:36 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2015, 03:40:41 pm »
I think you guys are arguing over nothing.
TA: Yes, the story's main plotline has been kicked into gear by a very generic 'You killed my father' revenge plot.
George: Yes, there is a lot of foreshadowing that the story will and is developing into something more, or that Ryo is going to give up his desire for revenge.

I think we can agree that what we've seen so far contains a lot of pretty standard revenge tropes, but there is potential for the story to go in a different direction (considering we've got only, what a third of the overall story so far?)

Offline George

« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2015, 05:37:23 pm »
Because PS3/360 are the only platforms people play games on? I haven't played much games on consoles after I got a good PC. I mostly play that, Wii U and 3DS on the moment.

But nice investigative reporting on my gaming habits.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2015, 04:00:25 am »
I think we can agree that what we've seen so far contains a lot of pretty standard revenge tropes, but there is potential for the story to go in a different direction (considering we've got only, what a third of the overall story so far?)

To some I feel when one tries to make out that Shenmue Story is basic it's seen an insult to the game and that you're knocking it when I'm not . If Ryo was able to take down Lai Di in Shenmue's intro , there's no game . Shenmue basic story is about setting out to avenge his father's death really . Yakuza story is better and also its script is much much better, but for me Shenmue II is far better game than any of the Yakuza's .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2015, 05:54:59 am »
To some I feel when one tries to make out that Shenmue Story is basic it's seen an insult to the game and that you're knocking it when I'm not . If Ryo was able to take down Lai Di in Shenmue's intro , there's no game . Shenmue basic story is about setting out to avenge his father's death really . Yakuza story is better and also its script is much much better, but for me Shenmue II is far better game than any of the Yakuza's .

But nice investigative reporting on my gaming habits

Well you asked 1st and I highy doubt you have AC Unity for the PC :P
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2015, 03:25:56 pm »
I never said "I own" AC Unity. I said I played AC Unity. You do know there are other ways of playing games on PC instead of buying it.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2015, 03:51:51 pm »
"I own" AC Unity. I said I played AC Unity. You do know there are other ways of playing games on PC instead of buying it.

That's just a cop out and I highly doubt you pirate games tbh
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:11 pm »
Wow, TA. Does everything you say have to be argumentative?

Shenmue I's "basic story" is about revenge. The very top, most basic layer is revenge, yes. But we have seen only the tip of the iceberg that is Shenmue's complete story. According the man who CREATED THE STORY HIMSELF, he said the rest of the story (much larger than I and II) is without Ryo's lust for revenge, since he very quickly starts to realize that it is not a good path to be on. The majority of Shenmue's story is not about revenge.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2015, 01:05:37 pm »
1977's Star Wars, without any knowledge of the sequels, is a revenge story. Luke's father, uncle, aunt, and mentor were killed by Vader and the Empire. He joins the rebellion to avenge their deaths. As the movies progress you learn more about Vader, and Luke's quest for revenge transforms into the exact opposite. He throws his saber down and tries to save Vader.

Shenmue was headed in a very similar direction in part II, and as others have said Suzuki himself later stated that Ryo's need for revenge transforms into something else.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2015, 02:06:29 pm »
1977's Star Wars, without any knowledge of the sequels, is a revenge story. Luke's father, uncle, aunt, and mentor were killed by Vader and the Empire. He joins the rebellion to avenge their deaths

Yep the hero that starts off weak by then becomes a master to get his revenge . Its been done a million times, doesn't mean its bad or a rubbish film
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2015, 03:13:20 pm »
The whole point is that Revenge = Dark Side... maybe you didn't get the lesson of the film at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFYoZ7H67A