Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 674891 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #390 on: February 16, 2015, 03:13:42 pm »
I... I never said Star Wars was a bad or rubbish film.

I was comparing Star Wars to Shenmue. Both Ryo and Luke start on the path of revenge, but midway through they learn new truths and reassess. Star Wars had the luxury of telling the full story, Shenmue did not, but Yu Suzuki has said that Ryo's path is not revenge by the third game. 

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #391 on: February 17, 2015, 09:14:17 am »
Luke wants revenge although he doesn't fully understand why. In the end, Darth Vader himself teaches him a life changing lesson.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #392 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:25 am »
Luke wants revenge although he doesn't fully understand why. In the end, Darth Vader himself teaches him a life changing lesson.

A boy wanted to kill his father. In the end, his father teaches him a life changing lesson that took our breath away.
[Click here to read more]

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #393 on: February 17, 2015, 10:46:51 am »
A boy wanted to kill his father. In the end, his father teaches him a life changing lesson that took our breath away.
[Click here to read more]

His dad cut off his hand! What he does next will leave you in tears!

In any event, do you think we'll ever know the full story? I feel like Yu Suzuki will never make the games, but I wonder if he'll be compelled to reveal the story at some point? I would hate to think we'll never know what the intention was.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #394 on: February 17, 2015, 12:59:05 pm »
He stated before that he would be up to write a book or finish it other mediums, but I think after all the fanbase hitting social media and making it seem like there are trillions of them, he probably won't do it outside of a game now.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #395 on: February 17, 2015, 01:02:42 pm »
He stated before that he would be up to write a book or finish it other mediums, but I think after all the fanbase hitting social media and making it seem like there are trillions of them, he probably won't do it outside of a game now.

I doubt we'll get much more than just 'Oh yeah Ryo actually meets Lan Di and they become best buddies and kill all the Chi you men.' via twitter or something.

Even writing a book or making a manga is going to be time consuming and I'm not sure Yu is that interested at this point.

Offline George

« Reply #396 on: February 17, 2015, 02:49:45 pm »
For what I read he is, I think the fans have ignited a spark, from what I read in the Polygon interview recently, he just wants to create new games ( :(  ), the issue is publisher. I really think he should do smaller console digital games via kickstarter with good ideas (aka don't try to change the game, just make a fun game Yu Suzuki status).

The thing is, will a follow up ever satisfy fans? I remember when they first started teasing Shenmue Online, Yu Suzuki said he wanted to finish the story via the game's updates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpE2sKvgJtU

I really think Shenmue Online was the last nail in the coffin for the Shenmue franchise. SEGA spent a shit ton of cash on the project. If rumors are correct (That the 3rd game was going to go in a really different direction with powers and such) will the old fanbase be happy at the changes? I mean, if it came out in 2003-4, they probably would have accepted it, shit if it came out in 2006 as well. But would they accept it now in 2015> ? The answer is probably not.

I think SEGA is in a bind on this franchise and its not like their making large amounts of money to spend on a vanity project (which Shenmue was) and they don't need to create games like these anymore due to not selling hardware.

The best case is Sony co-funds the game and do it in hopes of long term profits, the way that they have handled Team ICO (Sony says they don't care if their games don't make immediate returns in profit). The point of having 'highly regarded games' is to put your console in a positive light and if having Shenmue and other SEGA IPs exclusive (they already are doing it with Street Fighter V) then its probably better for SEGA.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #397 on: February 17, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »
I can't beleive so much money was sunk into Shenmue Online. Whatever happened to it? The game that nobody asked for... It might have been good, but it was basically targeted at China and, by extension, just making money.
It sounded soulless, and nothing like Shenmue.

I wouldn't mind Shenmue introducing powers so long as it still 'felt' like Shenmue. Intimate exploration of your surroundings, engaging characters, fun battles (you could keep the VF-like system and introduce some powers), GOOD QTEs and real world style problem solving (talking to people and logical solutions).

And I know what you mean, releasing a direct sequel fifteen years after the fact doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't mind seeing them 'Re-boot' the series and aim for the story to be told in between 1-3 games by condensing it somehow, but even that would be difficult. I really wouldn't mind a Shenmue 1 remake at this point though, keep it exactly the same with better controls, better voice acting and graphics. Everything else could stay the same (although they'd probably put some more action and fights in. At least give us an opportunity to fight more often like Shenmue 2's street fight challenges).

EDIT: And I agree 100% with Yu Suzuki making more games. Mobile games might work out for him, but I'd love to see him make a new arcade style racer or action game and put it on XBLA/PSN/Steam.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2015, 05:06:00 pm »
I would have loved to play Shenmue Online, but only along with III. I did not want it as a replacement, which it never was meant to be.

It was also originally meant for the Koreans and Chinese, not just one of them. JCE was the main developer with SEGA, and T2 Technology Holdings was to be the Chinese operator.

I can't find it now, but I'm fairly certain also that Yu Suzuki said he would much rather release more main story games rather than finishing the story through online updates.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #399 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »
If rumors are correct (That the 3rd game was going to go in a really different direction with powers and such) will the old fanbase be happy at the changes? I mean, if it came out in 2003-4, they probably would have accepted it, shit if it came out in 2006 as well. But would they accept it now in 2015> ? The answer is probably not.

I think SEGA is in a bind on this franchise and its not like their making large amounts of money to spend on a vanity project (which Shenmue was) and they don't need to create games like these anymore due to not selling hardware.

Well, regarding the original fanbase's acceptance of "powers" or whatever you want to call it... anyone who is still interested in Shenmue has probably already done a lot of thinking about this. Obviously Lan Di isn't after the mirrors for their resale value as antiquities. And anyone who played through to the final scene of Shenmue II has no doubt about something unexplainable by everyday standards factoring into the future of the story...

But, to call Shenmue a vanity project only makes a kind of sense in retrospect. It was to be the killer RPG for the Dreamcast, and at that point everything Yu Suzuki touched turned to gold for Sega. It just seems that Shenmue's lack of success has been greatly exaggerated over the years - the untrue claim of a $70m budget has become industry legend. It was pretty much a perfect storm of bad circumstances surrounding the Dreamcast that derailed Shenmue, but unfortunately and very unfairly it seems that Yu Suzuki is the one who has taken the brunt of the blame in the long run. Without Yu Suzuki's contributions to Sega there wouldn't have been a series of Sega home consoles, IMO. The man deserves more chances.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #400 on: February 18, 2015, 03:26:29 pm »
Well said. ^

I think the biggest part you hit on was that everybody wants to greatly exaggerate how "bad" Shenmue did on the market.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #401 on: February 18, 2015, 03:31:49 pm »
Well, regarding the original fanbase's acceptance of "powers" or whatever you want to call it... anyone who is still interested in Shenmue has probably already done a lot of thinking about this. Obviously Lan Di isn't after the mirrors for their resale value as antiquities. And anyone who played through to the final scene of Shenmue II has no doubt about something unexplainable by everyday standards factoring into the future of the story...

But, to call Shenmue a vanity project only makes a kind of sense in retrospect. It was to be the killer RPG for the Dreamcast, and at that point everything Yu Suzuki touched turned to gold for Sega. It just seems that Shenmue's lack of success has been greatly exaggerated over the years - the untrue claim of a $70m budget has become industry legend. It was pretty much a perfect storm of bad circumstances surrounding the Dreamcast that derailed Shenmue, but unfortunately and very unfairly it seems that Yu Suzuki is the one who has taken the brunt of the blame in the long run. Without Yu Suzuki's contributions to Sega there wouldn't have been a series of Sega home consoles, IMO. The man deserves more chances.

It was meant to be Sega's 'Final Fantasy' equivalent wasn't it? An annual series that they could make year on year and become a big franchise?

Either way, I wonder if Yu Suzuki really took the blame or if he was just winding down anyway. The man really didn't have much else to prove at that point, he made genre defining games for Racing, Fighting, Shooting and now Adventure games too. If he couldn't make Shenmue, he may have been happy having less projects? I don't know, but I feel like a man as important as him wouldn't have just been pushed aside due to one game (that was actually one of the highest selling on Dreamcast).

Offline George

« Reply #402 on: February 18, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »
I personally do believe it was really high up there. You got to understand, it wasn't all used on Dreamcast released Shenmue and the cost wasn't really due to AM2. What we know is that the game was in development for quite awhile as the Virtua Fighter RPG (and even before that as The old man and the peach tree). Those turned into Shenmue which had a running prototype on Saturn, plus SEGA was pushing the Saturn to its limits and even had rumors that they had a add-on video card for VF3 (which some of Shenmue's fighting system is based on).

Then due to SEGA wanting to get rid of the Saturn for another system, the project moved forward. Was it 70 million? Who knows. Was it a lot for a company like SEGA? Yes.

I really don't know if Yu Suzuki was pushed aside due to it, he says it didn't effect his relationship with SEGA, but if you look at his games after it came out, its like night and day compared to the last 20 years in the company.

I know people would hate this, but I think overall it was a mistake changing it from a Virtua Fighter RPG to its own IP. I think having it tie-in with one of the most popular fighting games would have added depth to the characters (one of the major complaints about VF characters) and really just establish that franchise to a new audience.

I love Shenmue but the story could have worked with Akira and show you how he became the legend that he is in the VF games.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #403 on: February 18, 2015, 05:07:48 pm »
the untrue claim of a $70m budget has become industry legend.

That figure is very true , not only with Yu Suzuki himself (I know he since tried to back track a little)  , but also in a special with ODC Mag .

I really don't know if Yu Suzuki was pushed aside due to it, he says it didn't effect his relationship with SEGA, but if you look at his games after it came out, its like night and day compared to the last 20 years in the company

I don't think it was that at all really . Shenmue was a blow to SEGA but I really think the killer was Shenmue II dire sales onthe XBox which killed any chance of Shenmue III really . Yu Suzuki did make VF IV and Evo  which for me is the best in the series . Just think with SEGA trying to slash costs and fighting off the Sammy moves , the move to merge all the teams and have Yu Suzuki set up a new studio was a huge mistake looking back.

VF IV profits alone would have made up for any losses SEGA made with the console Shenmue project

but I think overall it was a mistake changing it from a Virtua Fighter RPG to its own IP

Wouldn't have made any difference imo. The mistake was putting the game on the DC sadly .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nathan

« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:20 pm »
While $70 million was quoted by Yu in the PB video, it was also quoted by him as $47 million at a recent event (Toulouse Games Show?). We really don't know which is true, one has the possibility of being SEGA PR exaggerations, and one has the possibility of saving face by downplaying the budget. I personally believe the $47 million, because why would he lie at this point?