Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 667987 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2015, 09:54:25 am »
In any case, moving forward, I think Yu Suzuki needs to come up with a scalable plan. Plan A is if he can secure his ideal budget, Plan B is how he'll make the game with a lesser budget, Plan C with an even lesser budget, etc. It seems like he's a "we don't have no Plan B" kind of guy. But the patient fans "love it when a plan comes together." Furthermore, we "ain't getting on no planes, fool!!!" But I digress.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2015, 05:20:14 am »
In any case, moving forward, I think Yu Suzuki needs to come up with a scalable plan. Plan A is if he can secure his ideal budget, Plan B is how he'll make the game with a lesser budget, Plan C with an even lesser budget, etc. It seems like he's a "we don't have no Plan B" kind of guy. But the patient fans "love it when a plan comes together." Furthermore, we "ain't getting on no planes, fool!!!" But I digress.

He does not currently have a plan for a Shenmue III. I realize he would be interested in making one. The problem is that the last game was made fourteen years ago. I don't think we can ever expect to see a good Shenmue II sequel.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #407 on: March 02, 2015, 07:22:50 am »
It is simply uninformed to discuss anything that might or might not be going on in Yu Suzuki's head. The odds are against Shenmue III, I'll give you that, but whether or not Yu is actually pursuing funding or whatever is information that is not privy to a lot of people.

I do think that ports of some sort are at least being fought for from Sony's Third Party Productions. Who knows if we will actually see them.

Offline Spock

« Reply #408 on: March 02, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »
You are right about one thing. I don't know what Yu Suzuki has planned. What I do know is that hardly anyone remembers Shenmue. I also know that Yu has many other different franchises to work on. Not to mention the fourteen years since the last game, like I stated in my previous comment. Have you ever seen a sequel to a sequel of a video game that took more than fourteen years before they decided to even START working on it? I mean, if there was actual news of Yu working on Shenmue III, then that would be much different. All I'm saying is that I will be very impressed if it is ever announced.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #409 on: March 02, 2015, 04:45:09 pm »
You are right about one thing. I don't know what Yu Suzuki has planned. What I do know is that hardly anyone remembers Shenmue. I also know that Yu has many other different franchises to work on. Not to mention the fourteen years since the last game, like I stated in my previous comment. Have you ever seen a sequel to a sequel of a video game that took more than fourteen years before they decided to even START working on it? I mean, if there was actual news of Yu working on Shenmue III, then that would be much different. All I'm saying is that I will be very impressed if it is ever announced.

Kid Iccarus, Donkey Kong Country (sort of) both spring to mind almost instantly.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #410 on: March 02, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »
I think it will be up to SEGA. They really need to stop ignoring their past IPs. Not saying that launching Shenmue is a great way to start, not ignoring them. I'm scared that Shenmue is like NiGHTS; a big online fanbase that make it seem larger than they are due to how they coordinate and loud they get.

NiGHTS on Wii bombed. We can all say it is due to it not being great. SEGA then started re-releasing older games like JSR which did great  and then due to NiGHTS fans wanting the PS2 Ages remake, they got it re-released. It bombed.

Now SEGA is scared again.

I have a feeling that if SEGA released Shenmue I HD, it would probably fail? I guess if we ever have a chance of Shenmue III happening, we would need HD ports of I and II before to see if anyone is interested.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:26 am »
I bought the Nights game twice. i liked it that much.

If only other Saturn gems were re-released.. Some games are quite expensive to collect.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:17:07 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Spock

« Reply #412 on: March 04, 2015, 04:15:41 pm »
Shenmue III would have been announced by Yu Suzuki long ago, if he was really that interested. It could be a slight possibility. I just seriously doubt it. Why do so many people want a third game, if the second one was bad?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #413 on: March 04, 2015, 11:00:07 pm »

No, you actually don't know if anyone remembers Shenmue or not. The fanbase could have dwindled down to two people or grown to five million. Fact of the matter is, nobody knows for sure. We can guess all we want, but at the end of the day there is no solid data.

Fourteen years since the release, yes...ever heard of Dukem Nukem Forever? And what other franchises? He doesn't work at SEGA anymore, and can't just use anything that he wants from them. Sure, he did Virtua Fighter and Shenmue on mobile devices, but that is it. He is doing his own thing at YS Net.

They didn't wait fourteen years. It has been said before that development started with music, art, sculptures, etc...all of that is done. The story is done. Shenmue III was announced by SEGA back in 2001. Shin Ishikawa was quoted as saying "Look forward to more Shenmue games on Xbox". RPG Gamer published a story that the game was in development. Kikizo did as well.

Why do so many people want a third game, if the second one was bad?

I have no clue as to what you are even talking about here. Shenmue II? Nobody mentioned it being bad.

Offline Spock

« Reply #414 on: March 05, 2015, 09:38:11 am »
No, you actually don't know if anyone remembers Shenmue or not. The fanbase could have dwindled down to two people or grown to five million. Fact of the matter is, nobody knows for sure. We can guess all we want, but at the end of the day there is no solid data.

Fourteen years since the release, yes...ever heard of Dukem Nukem Forever? And what other franchises? He doesn't work at SEGA anymore, and can't just use anything that he wants from them. Sure, he did Virtua Fighter and Shenmue on mobile devices, but that is it. He is doing his own thing at YS Net.

They didn't wait fourteen years. It has been said before that development started with music, art, sculptures, etc...all of that is done. The story is done. Shenmue III was announced by SEGA back in 2001. Shin Ishikawa was quoted as saying "Look forward to more Shenmue games on Xbox". RPG Gamer published a story that the game was in development. Kikizo did as well.

I have no clue as to what you are even talking about here. Shenmue II? Nobody mentioned it being bad.
I have met a lot of people who don't even remember the Dreamcast. Shenmue II was not nearly as good as the first. Why are you so upset about me asking a simple question?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #415 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:28 am »
Shenmue II was not nearly as good as the first.
SEG4GES

Offline Spock

« Reply #416 on: March 05, 2015, 11:40:07 am »

So you enjoyed that there was no way to get money by performing a task other than moving crates. It was wonderful for you to hear people try their hardest to voice the characters in English with a more retro style of technology. You must have also praised that the D pad didn't respond well to the double and triple taps to the left and right.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:55 pm »
It's been a while since I've played it, but I don't remember having any trouble with the original Xbox d-pad. The 360 d-pad was extremely inaccurate and frustrating to use, though. Still, it wasn't really the only way to make money, was it? I remember finding a few gambling places that had good payouts.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #418 on: March 05, 2015, 02:28:20 pm »
At this point, they'd need to bring the whole series out from the start again really. It's been a while...

If they did mind, it'll be a lot cheaper to make then it was due to the massive leaps in technology we've had since then. They'd also be able to bring things up to date and drop the more awkward aspects of the games too. The conference Yu Suzuki held about Shenmue shed some light on what direction it was taking and I actually thought it would be great to see this finished. It was clearly going beyond the average revenge plot and into something different.

We can dream I suppose...

Offline Nathan

« Reply #419 on: March 05, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »
I have met a lot of people who don't even remember the Dreamcast. Shenmue II was not nearly as good as the first. Why are you so upset about me asking a simple question?

Oh, you met a lot of people. Guess that's factual basis for a sound argument! Not.

Your opinion about not liking the sequel as much as the first is just that. An opinion. Same goes for your random conjecture being random conjecture. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I am not mad at you, especially for having an opinion. But that isn't everyone's opinion, and also should not be used as a factual argument.