Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668234 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2015, 06:41:28 pm »
So you enjoyed that there was no way to get money by performing a task other than moving crates. It was wonderful for you to hear people try their hardest to voice the characters in English with a more retro style of technology. You must have also praised that the D pad didn't respond well to the double and triple taps to the left and right.
Is an optional thing really a reason you should name for like the 1st game better? Dont get me wrong i really love the 1st game. Still think there's something about it which the 2nd game lacks. But thinking about it its really just the setting. Though man, the 2nd game is something else.

The other stuff about taps is something i didnt have an issue with. The game doesnt require a lot of skill in the fighting department so i think itd be much worse in that case. I would hope in a next installment the fighting would be a lot more refined overall.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 06:43:48 pm by CrazyT »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »
The second one had much better pacing.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #422 on: March 06, 2015, 08:08:32 am »
That whole sequence from being handcuffed to the rooftop battle is one of the best video game moments ever. It's just such a fun and solid sequence!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #423 on: March 06, 2015, 08:38:49 pm »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2015, 03:33:11 am »
That whole sequence from being handcuffed to the rooftop battle is one of the best video game moments ever. It's just such a fun and solid sequence!

That it is ... It reminds me a lot of Jackie Chan Project A Part II .  It's when the game really takes off and draws you in, I remember playing that part and when I looked at the clock I couldn't belive that some 4 hours had passed (I missed out on supper and everything)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #425 on: March 16, 2015, 05:33:34 pm »
Is an optional thing really a reason you should name for like the 1st game better? Dont get me wrong i really love the 1st game. Still think there's something about it which the 2nd game lacks. But thinking about it its really just the setting. Though man, the 2nd game is something else.

The other stuff about taps is something i didnt have an issue with. The game doesnt require a lot of skill in the fighting department so i think itd be much worse in that case. I would hope in a next installment the fighting would be a lot more refined overall.
Well, I played the second game on Xbox. Not Dreamcast. I guess I should have tried it on Dreamcast before I complained about the controls. As far as the gameplay itself, I still prefer the original Shenmue. A third entry for any series is almost always the worst of them all. It was a much different era fifteen years ago. Times have changed and there are too many other great game franchises for Sega to work on right now. I think someone on this thread mentioned before that there are too many other games like Shenmue already.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2015, 10:18:13 pm »
I disagree that there are too many other games like Shenmue out there. There are hardly any.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #427 on: March 17, 2015, 01:31:48 am »
If they're more games out there like Shenmue, can someone point me to them? I can't see any personally. Sleeping Dogs, GTA and Yakuza are definitely not the same if those are the ones people are talking about.

As stated earlier in this thread, I think if they were to carry on with the series, they'd need a reboot. Simply remastering or releasing Shenmue 1 and 2 in it's outdated state now would be a flop I suspect. That may sound expensive, but it really wouldn't be with technology now. Back then, they had to hard code all the things that come built in with most engines now.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:38:03 am by Tad »

Offline Spock

« Reply #428 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:24 pm »
If they're more games out there like Shenmue, can someone point me to them? I can't see any personally. Sleeping Dogs, GTA and Yakuza are definitely not the same if those are the ones people are talking about.

As stated earlier in this thread, I think if they were to carry on with the series, they'd need a reboot. Simply remastering or releasing Shenmue 1 and 2 in it's outdated state now would be a flop I suspect. That may sound expensive, but it really wouldn't be with technology now. Back then, they had to hard code all the things that come built in with most engines now.
The Uncharted series is similar. I admit there is not a Japanese theme. As far as the gameplay, it is very similar though. Also Divekick, Karateka, and Kengo: Legend of the 9. They are all very similar. Definately not a good time for Shenmue III. Of course, I don't think there ever was a good time for it. Shenmue was exclusive to Dreamcast. Why would Sega want to release the same series more than fiveteen years later, if the last game in the series was on their own system?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:21:37 pm by Spock »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #429 on: March 18, 2015, 11:38:22 pm »
Because there is hardly ever anything that is ever an absolute? What facts and statistics can anybody really post that proves now is not a good time for Shenmue III? Have you done your research on the market? Why wouldn't it be a good time?

They might want to release it because it is a classic IP that was never given the proper treatment it deserved, due overwhelmingly to circumstance.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #430 on: March 19, 2015, 02:01:31 am »
The Uncharted series is similar. I admit there is not a Japanese theme. As far as the gameplay, it is very similar though. Also Divekick, Karateka, and Kengo: Legend of the 9. They are all very similar. Definately not a good time for Shenmue III. Of course, I don't think there ever was a good time for it. Shenmue was exclusive to Dreamcast. Why would Sega want to release the same series more than fiveteen years later, if the last game in the series was on their own system?

None of those games are even close to being similar. Uncharted is an action game, Kengo, divekick and Karateka are just fighting games. If you stripped Shenmue down to its core features, it's essentially a narratively driven adventure game rich with Japanese culture (Chinese in SII). The closest thing I'd say you are going to find would be something like a point 'n' click adventure game.

The problem there though is none of them offer the same amount of mechanics and variety that Shenmue did. The only one that might reach that one day is currently Telltale Games. They are playing around with their winning formula to create new mechanics like using the Loader bot in Tales from the borderlands to fight, a tiny bit of exploring, a small puzzle and so on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:28:52 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #431 on: March 19, 2015, 05:44:50 am »
Only game vaguely similar to Shenmue is Yakuza.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #432 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:00 am »
The Uncharted series is similar. I admit there is not a Japanese theme. As far as the gameplay, it is very similar though. Also Divekick, Karateka, and Kengo: Legend of the 9. They are all very similar.

Uncharted?
DIVEKICK!?

You have to be fucking joking.

Offline Spock

« Reply #433 on: March 19, 2015, 10:19:37 pm »
I was not saying those games were almost identical. I was just saying that those games would be too similar for another game to compete with. Especially one that is as outdated as the Shenmue series. That's not to say it was a bad series. It was actually amazing. Definitely a fan of the first game. I'm just confused why so many of you would want a low budget sequel to two classic games like that. It would just make the other two games look like they should have also never been made.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #434 on: March 20, 2015, 08:35:14 am »
I never get why people say any game is outdated. I think of expired milk or meat when I think outdated, not a video game. You think that magic weather and time control, and all of those 500 NPCs are something that were only enjoyable in 2000-2002?