Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668251 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #465 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32:53 pm »
Anyone know what the sales were like for TJ&E? I'll admit, while I knew of the games I never played them back in the day. I honestly don't know how big TJ&E is compared to Shenmue, but I also feel like they might just have more general appeal as well? Like it's more likely the kickstarter crowd would back TJ&E rather than Shenmue had they known about neither.

Don't forget Shenmue has crazy ass fans who would donate $10k plus each.

I personally would probably slap down $1k if the reward was good enough.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #466 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:54 pm »
Less than a million for sure. But the issue with most Genesis games, its not really about how many people bought them now its about how many people played it and became fans.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #467 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »
I know Greg told us the sequel sold as much as the original, but I'm not sure how much the original sold.

that is a good point, Shenmue fans may not be as numerous as they (or we) think but I could totally see people plunking down thousands towards it. I'd probably give $500-$1k, depending on the rewards.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #468 on: March 27, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »
Many fans in the past have probably just given up, but if a Kickstarter was announced, that might persuade them to come back into the loop of it all. Guess we'll never really know unless that route is taken.

Shenmue 1 & 2 did sell really well on release after all.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:55:31 pm by Tad »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #469 on: March 27, 2015, 02:57:17 pm »
that is a good point, Shenmue fans may not be as numerous as they (or we) think but I could totally see people plunking down thousands towards it. I'd probably give $500-$1k, depending on the rewards.
Even so, I doubt a handful of crazies could get the same as a deluge of small donations.

I think it would really come down to attracting new people more than anything. The fact that Shenmue would be a sequel might turn off potential supporters, whereas TJ&E is relatively standalone right?

Also TJ&E has that off the wall wacky look that appeals to the indy market and supporters, Shenmue is a harder sell.
"So it's this super slow paced, story driven game..."

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #470 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »
Not to mention some of the stuff that it pioneered is now taken for granted. Cycling day/night weather, more cinematic story, qtes.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #471 on: March 27, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »
Even just being fully voice acted blew my mind.

3raser

« Reply #472 on: March 29, 2015, 04:44:34 pm »
I found this:

http://www.pushsquare.com/tags/Shenmue

This is great news. I think that means we will definately have a Shenmue III eventually. Even if it happens in the year 2030!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:46:57 pm by 3raser »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #473 on: March 30, 2015, 08:20:59 am »
I found this:

http://www.pushsquare.com/tags/Shenmue

This is great news. I think that means we will definately have a Shenmue III eventually. Even if it happens in the year 2030!

It looks very nice, but it's just a fan remaking parts of Shenmue 1 in HD...

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #474 on: March 31, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »
Not to mention some of the stuff that it pioneered is now taken for granted. Cycling day/night weather, more cinematic story, qtes

Yes I agree though the likes of Zelda N64 did the day night cycle 1st I guess .

Even just being fully voice acted blew my mind

Yes it was amazing but really Popful Mail and Magic Knight Rayearth (Japan version) beat Shenmue to having ever charcater in the game having a speaking part . For me what was so amazing in Shenmue was almost ever detail was so dam perfect and its magic weather system when there snow would build up , was just at the time .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #475 on: March 31, 2015, 07:44:24 pm »
Though unlike Zelda, Shenmue used weather that was accurate to the real dates. Was that ever done before?

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #476 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:00 pm »
Did Popful Mail and Magic Knight Rayearth have 300-600 characters, though?

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #477 on: April 01, 2015, 02:08:03 am »
Did Popful Mail and Magic Knight Rayearth have 300-600 characters, though?

600 ? . I don't think any single Shenmue game had that either . I'm just pointing out that in the Japanese version of Magic Knight Rayearth every character inthe game had a speaking part and spoke and it was one of the 1st games to do that and was quite amazing at the time even if it was in Japaese.

Though unlike Zelda, Shenmue used weather that was accurate to the real dates. Was that ever done before

Well for starters Zelda didnt really feature a magic weather system-it just had the day to night cycle and Saga had that to a degree too I guess . Shenmue weather system was a true 1st inthe way that it rain and snow was able to build up on screen I can't remember any game doing that not even on the the PC at the time (though I'm sure there was one) .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #478 on: April 01, 2015, 10:31:24 am »
600 ? . I don't think any single Shenmue game had that either . I'm just pointing out that in the Japanese version of Magic Knight Rayearth every character inthe game had a speaking part and spoke and it was one of the 1st games to do that and was quite amazing at the time even if it was in Japaese.

Fair enough. Though Shenmue II actually had 700 characters, as painstakingly chronicled back at the Dojo years back. Info was listed from the Shenmue II Perfect Guide Book in Japan.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #479 on: April 01, 2015, 10:32:37 am »
Though unlike Zelda, Shenmue used weather that was accurate to the real dates. Was that ever done before?
I believe there was also the option to turn that on or off right? So you could have randomized or 'story matching' weather or something?

I do remember reading about the weather being accurate before it came out, what a game.