Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668315 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #540 on: May 22, 2015, 04:49:55 am »
Did you play Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #541 on: May 22, 2015, 08:23:27 am »
Sega purposely leaked a fake photo to get our guard down, so at E3 they will reveal their new console, the Sega Renegade. It'll have Shenmue III as a launch title as well as Sonic Adventure 3 and Virtua Fighter vs Valiant Comics: New Generation of Heroes.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #542 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:22 am »
Sega purposely leaked a fake photo to get our guard down, so at E3 they will reveal their new console, the Sega Renegade. It'll have Shenmue III as a launch title as well as Sonic Adventure 3 and Virtua Fighter vs Valiant Comics: New Generation of Heroes.
A man can dream
SEG4GES

Offline JohnOfRage

• Total Meseta: 2
  • "Bare Knuckle"
« Reply #543 on: May 22, 2015, 04:15:16 pm »
Actually, to be fair, a new Shenmue game now would probably cost about as much as a Yakuza game. Problem is that SEGA knows Yakuza games sell enough for them to make their money back, while for a new Shenmue game this isn't certain. Especially seeing how long it's been since the last Shenmue game.
[/quote]

^ This is very true, also the game didn't sell much because it was extremely advance for it's time. 

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #544 on: May 22, 2015, 04:21:56 pm »
Actually, to be fair, a new Shenmue game now would probably cost about as much as a Yakuza game. Problem is that SEGA knows Yakuza games sell enough for them to make their money back, while for a new Shenmue game this isn't certain. Especially seeing how long it's been since the last Shenmue game.

^ This is very true, also the game didn't sell much because it was extremely advance for it's time. 

It didn't sell much because it was on the Dreamcast. And even that isn't entirely true, it's one of the best selling Dreamcast games.

Offline George

« Reply #545 on: May 22, 2015, 07:17:40 pm »
The game was also on Xbox and sold horribly. All I'm going to say if it couldn't outsell Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi arcade port; even with the HUGE marketing budget it had for the first game, chances are bringing it back isn't going to do half that number.

Offline Spock

« Reply #546 on: May 22, 2015, 08:36:01 pm »
Did you play Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed?
No. I'm just not into racing games. I don't like the new Sonic related games either. Sonic is cool. I just haven't liked new releases ever since Sonic '06 and Sonic Unleashed.
The game was also on Xbox and sold horribly. All I'm going to say if it couldn't outsell Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi arcade port; even with the HUGE marketing budget it had for the first game, chances are bringing it back isn't going to do half that number.

Most of the population in the U.S. have never heard of Shenmue. I know a lot of Sega fans out there that have. Just not people who have more important things to do than study old video game franchises. I'm not sure how much money a new Shenmue game (or two Shenmue games) would make. I don't think Sega would lose money though. What's wrong with Handheld only games after Shenmue one and two get new HD releases on consoles? At least Sega would know if new games would make a lot of money by releasing cheaper versions on handhelds, right?

Offline George

« Reply #547 on: May 22, 2015, 09:56:12 pm »
No. I'm just not into racing games. I don't like the new Sonic related games either. Sonic is cool. I just haven't liked new releases ever since Sonic '06 and Sonic Unleashed. Most of the population in the U.S. have never heard of Shenmue. I know a lot of Sega fans out there that have. Just not people who have more important things to do than study old video game franchises. I'm not sure how much money a new Shenmue game (or two Shenmue games) would make. I don't think Sega would lose money though. What's wrong with Handheld only games after Shenmue one and two get new HD releases on consoles? At least Sega would know if new games would make a lot of money by releasing cheaper versions on handhelds, right?
That is a great game, I'm a bit surprised meeting a SEGA fan that doesn't like racing games, you are missing out on some gems there. SEGA did racing games really well .

So you think they should make 3 and know that no one knows about the game and your aware that the game had a huge marketing budget? It failed then, why would a company reinvest in something that so few people liked and cost them so much? Why not, I don't know, move forward and make better IPs?

SEGA has been trying to get a HD port off the ground and are being hindered due to legalities with some companies over middleware usage or something.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #548 on: May 23, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »
It didn't sell much because it was on the Dreamcast. And even that isn't entirely true, it's one of the best selling Dreamcast games.

The 1st game sold well , the sequel sold like crap both on the DC and the XBox and that's the simple reason why SEGA or anyone else doesn't want to go near the game .

SEGA has been trying to get a HD port off the ground and are being hindered due to legalities with some companies over middleware usage or something.

Doubt it . Shenmue Tech was all SEGA's other than CSK Middleware for ADX . I bet the real reason why SEGA won't put up the HD ports is becasue it will get people hopes up for Shenmue III and SEGA just wants to let the IP die and no doubt one of the reasosn why SEGA didn't bother with the trademark renewal
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

« Reply #549 on: May 23, 2015, 02:59:06 pm »
If they didn't want Shenmue III hope they wouldn't allow all these companies to make official clothing, records and have him in other games like All-Stars Racing.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #550 on: May 24, 2015, 02:20:49 pm »
If they didn't want Shenmue III hope they wouldn't allow all these companies to make official clothing, records and have him in other games like All-Stars Racing

What corp is going to turn down royalties thanks to  merchandise on old IP - I know of no corp that would do that and for sure not the money loving SAMMY . Also having cameo's means nothing - We had loads in SEGA games and most of the time SEGA will never use the IP again in a major game .

IF SEGA Really wanted to make a Shenmue III they would have done so by now . They don't and the IP is dead
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #551 on: May 24, 2015, 03:44:23 pm »
I mean't that SEGA isn't NOT making Shenmue I and II HD ports because they think people will ask for Shenmue III. That makes no sense. Its most likely because those HD ports will cost more than NiGHTS and JSR HD, which probably didn't sell enough to make a bigger game like Shenmue happen.

Offline Spock

« Reply #552 on: May 24, 2015, 09:40:57 pm »
Well, Sega hasn't really been focusing on too many of its good franchises lately. I think cross-references are fine. I just think they should think back to some of their better franchises and continue some of those. For example, their alien series is a failure as well as making those Sonic games I was mentioning. What happened to Burning Rangers, Cadillacs And Dinosaurs, Comix Zone, Crazy Taxi, Fantasy Star,  Guardian Heros, Nights, Panzer Dragoon, Skies Of Arcadia, Shadow Man, Streets Of Rage, or Virtua Fighter? I liked those games. They should make more like those. Either that or make sequels. Anyone else agree? I know that Shenmue was the best Dreamcast game. It's just that I think if they are going to bring Shenmue back, then they should bring those back too.

Offline George

« Reply #553 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:21 am »
When has SEGA focused on their franchises before? I dunno what company you followed, but SEGA has always made sequels sparingly. Was it good business? I don't know. But would funding Shenmue III at the time have been good business. Fuck no. Honestly surprised any company, being in the financial situation that SEGA was in, would put so much capital into one game that would have to sell x2 copies to each console owner to break even.

SEGA would have done better if they made smaller, funnier games like Crazy Taxi aimed a broader audience, Shenmue was to get the RPG fans and it didn't get them beause its not like 'JRPGs' at the time at all. Its a experience and honestly a show of how advance AM2 could take the Dreamcast. Basically.

You say what happen to x game, well it came out and you enjoyed it. Like a beautifully piece of music you have it there to listen and enjoy. I think telling a team with new 'tools' and standards to make a game like 'comix zone 2' is just selfish. I want SEGA to have more Japanese games and create new IPs so new kids and adults can play the games and say "Wow, I want more of that".

SEGA always stayed, amazed, mic dropped and moved on to another franchise that did the same. Saying "I want another Comix Zone' really should be: "I want SEGA to make new IPs that where as good as Comix Zone' and not really " I want a new Comix Zone just because thats what I want"

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #554 on: May 25, 2015, 04:58:56 am »
When has SEGA focused on their franchises before? I dunno what company you followed, but SEGA has always made sequels sparingly. Was it good business? I don't know.

Not in the MD and Saturn era .
[/color]
I mean't that SEGA isn't NOT making Shenmue I and II HD ports because they think people will ask for Shenmue III

Oh I agree . There is no point going anywhere near Shenmue I and II if you don't intend to make part III. People should just get over it now, Shenmue III is never going to happen really .

Well, Sega hasn't really been focusing on too many of its good franchises lately.

SEGA hasn't been making many games of late and not very good ones imo
[/color]
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is