Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673474 times)

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
Re: Shenmue Kickstarted Announced! It's real! It's fucking happening!
« Reply #720 on: June 15, 2015, 09:42:06 pm »
AS I SAID, WAIT AND SEE...WAIT AND FUCKING SEE!!!!!

THE DREAM IS REAL AND YOU ARE PLEASED!!!

THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE, WE MADE IT GUYS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3jda591M4

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #721 on: June 15, 2015, 09:44:14 pm »
Okay, real talk... This game IS going to get funded... Within an hour it's 1/4 of the way there... And I'd say most of us haven't even put money down on it yet. I can't until tomorrow morning but I plan on probably funding multiple times. So yes we're getting Shenmue 3 but in what capacity?

I see that SEGA still owns the IP but are not really involved with the project. That makes me sad... And worried. Ys Net just aren't going to compete. I don't see why SEGA have to be such cunts about it and I seriously hope this gets funded out of its ass and when SEGA see the money their missing out on they feel like complete and utter chumps.

I'm pretty sure this whole kickstarter thing is to gauge interest, after which Sony will probably be funding the game past the $2 Mill. Sega's involvement was probably something like Sony saying "Hey Sega, you cool with this?" and them saying "Yeah sure, whatever".

Lost opportunity on Sega's part.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Shenmue Kickstarted Announced! It's real! It's fucking happening!
« Reply #722 on: June 15, 2015, 09:44:56 pm »
Thread is in wrong category. Sega has nothing to do with this, and I'm fucking pissed that this is the case.
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:19 pm »
The Ryo model looks pretty on-point, really looks like if they took the old dreamcast model and gave it an HD touchup.

Doesn't mean it looks GOOD, but it looks on-point. Shenhua's model is really good though.
Not really, should have ripped the assets from the Passport:

Feel like Shenmue had better models than what they are showing right now.

As for SEGA not funding it, they only funded like 2 studios that went out of business... I'm not being negative but the dude lost SEGA a crapton of money. I'm surprised this wasn't a spiritual successor .

Lets be real here, the real mistake is not having AM2's in-house develop the game with Yu Suzuki on board. Not that SEGA isn't funding this.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:55 pm »
stocking: i have to rewatch the shenmue reveal bc i was too busy screaming
stocking: like actual real screaming
stocking: so loud my neighbor absolutely heard me
stocking: I'M SCREAMING AGAIN

RadClaw: so
RadClaw: fallout 4
vaporware-wolf: MAN FUCK FALLOUT 4
vaporware-wolf: SHENMUE 3

can you tell i'm excited

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #725 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure this whole kickstarter thing is to gauge interest, after which Sony will probably be funding the game past the $2 Mill. Sega's involvement was probably something like Sony saying "Hey Sega, you cool with this?" and them saying "Yeah sure, whatever".

Lost opportunity on Sega's part.

Don't count on it... I don't see any involvement from Sony on the trailer or kickstarter page...
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #726 on: June 15, 2015, 09:48:05 pm »
SEGA's name is on the trailer, not a logo. This all seems very early stuff. I wonder when SEGA approved of them using the IP? I bet it wasn't that long ago. The only thing that is troubling me is how far they are into development. If these are final assets, I'm jumping out of here. If its like, very early (see Toe Jam & Earl) then i'm waiting to see more.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #727 on: June 15, 2015, 09:48:54 pm »
The miracle of Shenmue has brought back Orta!

I STILL DON'T FULLY BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING.
SEG4GES

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #728 on: June 15, 2015, 09:49:11 pm »
There has to be some sort of minor funding on Sony's part. Why else would it be exclusive to the PS4?

Also, pretty sure these are nowhere near final assets.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #729 on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:30 pm »
Holy shit! What a night! There's going to be lots of time to discuss this in detail. For now... hugs all around.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #730 on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:55 pm »
Yeah definitely. New engine, probably not developed for very long, this all looks like EXTREMELY early stuff, some of it may have even come with Unreal 4. It's too early to judge anything other than how amazing it is that it exists.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #731 on: June 15, 2015, 09:51:38 pm »
Don't count on it... I don't see any involvement from Sony on the trailer or kickstarter page...

If that's the case, then 2 Mill for Shenmue 3? Looks like we will be getting the turn-based jrpg visual novel version of Shenmue 3.

You might be right though as the stretch goals seem to indicate fixed funding requirements. Guess we'll see how this goes.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #732 on: June 15, 2015, 09:52:51 pm »
SEGA isn't being bad for not funding the game, infact, SEGA are being pretty dandy in allowing Yu Suzuki to do whatever he wants with his own game.

Fact is the first two lost SEGA money so they weren't going to fund it in any shape or form, however I don't see them not promoting it or helping Yu Suzuki out like they do with all their friendly developers like FromSoftware, Index etc in some form or shape.

Lost opportunity? Maybe, but outside of the Yakuza team all their console teams capable of making Shenmue III are working on bigger franchises than Shenmue, just plain fact.

There has to be some sort of minor funding on Sony's part. Why else would it be exclusive to the PS4?

Also, pretty sure these are nowhere near final assets.

It's easy to port to the PS4.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #733 on: June 15, 2015, 09:52:56 pm »
Well it does say on the kickstarter page: All images on the Kickstarter page are a work in progress.

Still I wonder how this deal went down and how much is each party involved?

I'm excited nonetheless, I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I heard the music play.

Offline George

« Reply #734 on: June 15, 2015, 09:53:57 pm »
Most likely helped YS Net get the license from SEGA to use in the game and is probably helping them with tools. I don't think lots of people here understand that YS Net is very small company. I assume someone at Sony's 3rd party relations is helping them with porting to PS4.

The last game they made was over 5 years ago and it was Shenmue City which didn't get much acclaim.