Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668038 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #855 on: June 16, 2015, 08:18:41 am »
I've been saying this for the last few years. Don't hold out expecting big things from Sega, they are rolling in FREEMIUM APP money now.

The fact that they are giving YSNet the rights to use the IP is almost a small miracle. Again, 'It's the best we got'.

This is Sega 2015, not Sega 1999.

SEGA 2015 - You cunts all ran us out of business, now make our games. FUCKING DICKS.

Next up, Microsoft continuing the Panzer Dragon series whilst SEGA laughs manically preparing movies for all their IPs about to be made by the big 3.

[spoiler]Alien: Isolation 2 is going to be big Mang :' <[/spoiler]

We were talking about this before, we both secretly expected it to be HD 1&2. But I think we both had that little spark, deep down inside somewhere thinking, maybe, just maybe it's part 3.

Deep down I believed. It is in our VERY SEGA DNA.

SEGA is changing the game.

Next it's Kickstarting Shinobi 4.

I BELIEVE (In crowd funding)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #856 on: June 16, 2015, 08:25:49 am »
So chaps.

Who do you think is going to big up the publishing rights to this?

Personally I think Sony and SEGA are going to pool some development resources into this project, Sony getting hold of the Playstation 4 rights and SEGA getting hold of that sweet sweet digital PC rights.

No way is the Kickstarter going to be it for Shenmue, this is just testing the waters.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Shenmue Kickstarted Announced! It's real! Update: 1/2 funded!
« Reply #857 on: June 16, 2015, 08:28:25 am »
I legit almost teared up when they announced this.
Pledged that $30 as soon as the Kickstarter page let me through.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #858 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:27 am »

Next up, Microsoft continuing the Panzer Dragon series whilst SEGA laughs manically preparing movies for all their IPs about to be made by the big 3.

Crimson Dragon?

So chaps.

Personally I think Sony and SEGA are going to pool some development resources into this project, Sony getting hold of the Playstation 4 rights and SEGA getting hold of that sweet sweet digital PC rights.

No way is the Kickstarter going to be it for Shenmue, this is just testing the waters.

I think Sega might want to do Shenmue Online together with YS.Net, and Sony might do a bit of promotion but that is it.

Obscure companies like Shibuya Productions are gonna fund this.

Also I want Mitsuyoshi to return.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:33:05 am by Trippled »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #859 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:18 am »
Crimson Dragon?

I wonder if Futatsugi ever approached SEGA to get the rights for Panzer Dragoon on board for a new game?

Or all of them are looking enviously towards Yu Suzuki.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #860 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:56 am »
I agree: it'll be Sega and Sony on the box. Sony gets PS4, Sega gets PC. I wouldn't be surprised if Sega and Sony throws a couple million dollars at this.

I wonder what the budget will be? I'm guessing about 25 million. Half from kickstarter, then the other 12 mill split between Sony and Sega.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:56 am »
I wonder if Futatsugi ever approached SEGA to get the rights for Panzer Dragoon on board for a new game?

I doubt it. I don't think Sega's been a dick about IP rights. Didn't they let Mizuguchi mess around with Rez several years ago? 

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2015, 08:34:54 am »

Futatsugi hasn't shown interrest in Panzer Dragoon. It was MS who said "hey a Panzer game would be great"

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #863 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:12 am »
So much negativity in here surrounding the art. The game had zero funding, what were you expecting? A full CGI trailer?

Pretty sure Yu Suzuki and anybody else on the team know about the higher standards of games nowadays. Give it time, it will look great once they get into making it.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #864 on: June 16, 2015, 08:40:46 am »
I doubt it. I don't think Sega's been a dick about IP rights. Didn't they let Mizuguchi mess around with Rez several years ago? 

Yeah I agree and yes Mizuguchi got it free of charge.

Makes me wish some more of SEGA's developers like Kodama or Oba went independent and tried to make stuff like Skies of Arcadia 2 or Shinobi 4. But I guess job safety is pretty important to them considering Japan's economy and all.

Futatsugi hasn't shown interrest in Panzer Dragoon. It was MS who said "hey a Panzer game would be great"

Crimson Dragon felt so much like Panzer Dragoon (From videos anyway) I can't not think he wasn't interested in making another title in the series but maybe he wanted an IP he could control forever I guess.

So much negativity in here surrounding the art. The game had zero funding, what were you expecting? A full CGI trailer?

Pretty sure Yu Suzuki and anybody else on the team know about the higher standards of games nowadays. Give it time, it will look great once they get into making it.

I was expecting a glorious celebration of innovation not this shitt- NO CAN'T LIE STILL HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED \O/ SHENMUE 3 IS HAPPENING GUYS.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #865 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:13 am »

I'm not worried that Yu doesn't know about advances in gaming since 2002. I'm worried he won't have the budget to make it phenomenal.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #866 on: June 16, 2015, 08:47:39 am »
I'm not worried that Yu doesn't know about advances in gaming since 2002. I'm worried he won't have the budget to make it phenomenal.

I think after this Kickstarter is all said and done, he'll have no problem getting additional funding from either Sony or SEGA.

It's like the best possible market testing either can hope for. Wither it would be enough for Shenmue remains to be seen, but they've already got a huge obstacle in the engine out of the way nice and early.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2015, 08:50:42 am »
SEGA 2015 - You cunts all ran us out of business, now make our games. FUCKING DICKS.

For real, I wonder if this will open the floodgates for more stuff like this? It's being proven time and again a viable way to fund niche titles.

I honestly don't know. I figured Kickstarter was a way to circumvent Publishers altogether, but someone will surely want to lay their hands on the fastest funded game ever.

I feel like Sony is more likely than Sega at this point.

I'm actually bracing myself for a very disappointing game, but at this stage I don't even mind if it's B-grade territory, just having Shenmue III will be enough.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #868 on: June 16, 2015, 08:51:22 am »
I think after this Kickstarter is all said and done, he'll have no problem getting additional funding from either Sony or SEGA.

It's like the best possible market testing either can hope for. Wither it would be enough for Shenmue remains to be seen, but they've already got a huge obstacle in the engine out of the way nice and early.

Yes, it is quite clear Sony or SEGA are going to jump aboard this once they realize how profitable it can be for them. Happened with Mighty No. 9:

http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150429

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Shenmue Kickstarted Announced! It's real! Update: 1/2 funded!
« Reply #869 on: June 16, 2015, 08:52:18 am »
I had a really weird restless nights sleep and I dreampt about Shenmue 3 all night...
Made by SEGA