Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668214 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #870 on: June 16, 2015, 08:55:59 am »
For real, I wonder if this will open the floodgates for more stuff like this? It's being proven time and again a viable way to fund niche titles.

SEGA are already crowdfunding mobile games in Japan www.crowdrive.com

They also said in future it might be used to crowdfund console games... Who knows.

I honestly don't know. I figured Kickstarter was a way to circumvent Publishers altogether, but someone will surely want to lay their hands on the fastest funded game ever.

I feel like Sony is more likely than Sega at this point.

Sony doesn't publish PC games and I'm not sure SEGA will allow a third party outside of a console developer to publish one of their IPs.

I mean Suzuki could self-publish it but I doubt that too.

Yes, it is quite clear Sony or SEGA are going to jump aboard this once they realize how profitable it can be for them. Happened with Mighty No. 9:

http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150429

Easy money really for both of them if they can see Yu Suzuki obtain $10 - $20 million of the funding via Kickstarter. Then split an additional $5 - $10 million between themselves.. Hey presto, $40 million budget :- D

(It definitely won't be that simple)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:11:06 am by Aki-at »

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #871 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:52 am »
For real, I wonder if this will open the floodgates for more stuff like this? It's being proven time and again a viable way to fund niche titles.

I honestly don't know. I figured Kickstarter was a way to circumvent Publishers altogether, but someone will surely want to lay their hands on the fastest funded game ever.

I feel like Sony is more likely than Sega at this point.

I'm actually bracing myself for a very disappointing game, but at this stage I don't even mind if it's B-grade territory, just having Shenmue III will be enough.

I think the problem is that I would have been a lot less willing to throw money Sega's way than Yu Suzuki's. Logically it doesn't really matter, but at some level I couldn't bring myself to donate or pledge to donate a few hundred dollars to a cooperation. Maybe Sega, but Sony or MS or Ninty would be a complete nonstarter for me. I imagine most would feel that way about Sega. So it might help niche developers make niche titles, but I doubt we would see this work for something like Streets of Rage or shinobi.

I'm expecting this to be mediocre, yeah. When this was the "do you think Sega should make Shenmue 3?" thread ages ago, I voted no. I think it will be a great story, I think it will be fun gameplay, but I think it's production values and content will be rough. I've said for a while I would take it anyway I can, and I'm going to stick to it, but Im bracing myself.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:08:28 am by jonboy101 »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
In for $500.
Those toy capsules will be mine!

Thread is in wrong category. Sega has nothing to do with this, and I'm fucking pissed that this is the case.

This... is probably true actually. I pushed that Bayonetta 2 wasn't Sega, and I guess this isn't either.
This means I can keep shit-talking Sega.

Also it might be better this way, Yu Suzuki might have more freedom.

SEGA owns the IP, they allowed YS Net and that Shibuya developer to make the game. Not sure we will see the usual SEGA cameos via capsule toys and arcade machines. Then again, the game is in the wilderness so it makes sense for the setting at least.

I want VF Character toys :(

SEGA

Stop capitalising Sega, you're an adult. ;)

So, yes, I'm a bit worried that Ys NET, a developer that made one mobile game half a decade ago is the one developing the game.

But saying that, I funded it.
As worried as I am. I am funding the shit out of this...

Oh I agree, I'm bracing for a trainwreck, but I don't care. I'm in like fucking Flynn.
I have every faith in Yu Suzuki as a director, but he can't work miracles.

I'm concerned about Yu Suzuki mentioning getting move scrolls and using them 'without practice'. Worries me that it might be super dumbed down, or even best case scenario, we won't see Ryo developing the move as he gets better. Remember getting a move scroll and the move looked really jank and weak at first, and then by the time you master it, it looks phenomenal? It was one of my favourite parts of the system. Seeing my favourite moves develop into stronger versions was great.

Understandable though, the lower budget and all. Like I said, brace for the worst.

Sounds like PR speak, no other game used the Shenmue engine that I know of.

I do think a lot of the tech they developed was re-used though?

Shenmue is larger than either series.
Its crazy to think that shenmue could have larger support than bigger franchises like castlevania and megaman. Would be amazing
I imagine being announced at the single biggest gaming event of the year helped it a smidge.

Also the average backing amount is $80 per person. All us die hards are coming out with wallets in hand.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #873 on: June 16, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
Realistically I see this kick starter reaching about 5 million USD tops.

I've still yet to put my money in but I am considering the $100, don't actually have that at the moment... Does any one know if I can do one funding option and then bump it up to the next later on?
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
Stop capitalising Sega, you're an adult. ;)

SEGA is an abbreviation of Service Games so capitalising is perfectly fine.

Legal documents and the company itself refers to it as SEGA.

Basically FUCK YOU CUNT.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #875 on: June 16, 2015, 09:22:31 am »
Yes, it is quite clear Sony or SEGA are going to jump aboard this once they realize how profitable it can be for them. Happened with Mighty No. 9:

http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20150429

Except Capcom didn't dip in for Mighty No.9

Deep Silver is a just publishint/distrubution firm. Suzuki already has help from a company called Shibuya Productions. I stand by Sony and Sega not giving a shit.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #876 on: June 16, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Realistically I see this kick starter reaching about 5 million USD tops.

I've still yet to put my money in but I am considering the $100, don't actually have that at the moment... Does any one know if I can do one funding option and then bump it up to the next later on?
Read the FAQs on the site, pretty sure you can change the amount up until the 'closing' date (July 31st  I believe).

SEGA are already crowdfunding mobile games in Japan www.crowdrive.com

They also said in future it might be used to crowdfund console games... Who knows.

Sony doesn't publish PC games and I'm not sure SEGA will allow a third party outside of a console developer to publish one of their IPs.

I mean Suzuki could self-publish it but I doubt that too.

I find it really weird that they are using it to fund Mobile games. Those are traditionally meant to be the low risk options already. You'd think Crowd Funding is better utilized for bigger budget stuff like console games.

And yeah, Sony doesn't publish PC games, I guess Sega might get involved for that. I'm interested to see how it's going to play out.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
SEGA is an abbreviation of Service Games so capitalising is perfectly fine.

Legal documents and the company itself refers to it as SEGA.

Basically FUCK YOU CUNT.

Sega = True Sega Fans
SEGA = Sonic Adventure 2 Nintendo Babby

(I'm just kidding, I love you bro. We made it to Shenmue III.)

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
Sega = True Sega Fans
SEGA = Sonic Adventure 2 Nintendo Babby

(I'm just kidding, I love you bro. We made it to Shenmue III.)

Actually more Nintendo fans refer to them as Sega than SEGA.

Guess we know why you shit talk SEGA now, you're a closet Nintendo fan mang :<

(I'm not kidding, I hate you bro, I MADE IT TO SHENMUE III :3 )

[spoiler]I'm really kidding... Or am I?[/spoiler]

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #879 on: June 16, 2015, 09:29:29 am »
Except Capcom didn't dip in for Mighty No.9

Deep Silver is a just publishint/distrubution firm. Suzuki already has help from a company called Shibuya Productions. I stand by Sony and Sega not giving a shit.

Real talk, if Sony really gave a shit they wouldn't have promoted a Kickstarter. The real saviour of Shenmue is Yu Suzuki and no one else.

I find it really weird that they are using it to fund Mobile games. Those are traditionally meant to be the low risk options already. You'd think Crowd Funding is better utilized for bigger budget stuff like console games.

And yeah, Sony doesn't publish PC games, I guess Sega might get involved for that. I'm interested to see how it's going to play out.

It's indie mobile games. I'll imagine SEGA doesn't hold the rights to the IPs.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
(I'm not kidding, I hate you bro, I MADE IT TO SHENMUE III :3 )

[spoiler]I'm really kidding... Or am I?[/spoiler]

Shenmue III means everyone on this forum loves each other.

Offline Moody

« Reply #881 on: June 16, 2015, 09:33:15 am »
Bad and naughty children are visited by the Hazuki of Rage when they doubt the development of Shenmue 3.

(Also wow, that new model really does look bad even compared to the All-Stars games. But I suppose they couldn't really gt the rights to those...)

Offline Moody

Shenmue III means everyone on this forum loves each other.

If last night hadn't happened, this would be a good time to use the "Maybe the real Shenmue 3 was the friends we made along the way" line.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #883 on: June 16, 2015, 09:43:04 am »
I doubt SEGA will even lift a finger for this game... Luckily it's coming to PC so if there are a lot of problems and terrible in game models modder will probably fix it.
Made by SEGA

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #884 on: June 16, 2015, 09:48:32 am »
Shibuya Productions is yet to do any video game projects, they've done movies and animation so this will be their first real leap into the gaming industry.

http://www.shibuya-productions.com/en/projets.html

(Also wow, that new model really does look bad even compared to the All-Stars games. But I suppose they couldn't really gt the rights to those...)

Shit it does.

Yu needs to walk into SEGA's offices tomorrow and depend they hand over those assets to him.

Especially the forklift, very crucial to the game's design.