Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668206 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #930 on: June 16, 2015, 05:24:48 pm »
It seems that Sony confirmed that they're actually involved with the game's funding/development: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064673
I'm worried this may slow the Kickstarter campaign.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #931 on: June 16, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »
I definitely have the urge to play them through again as well. Unfortunately my Dreamcast and games are on the other side of the planet. Might need to look into NullDC emulation.

Last time I tried S1 on NullDC - a couple of years ago - it worked very well, except trying to play the arcade games (the emulated ones, not the QTE ones) would crash it. Maybe they've got that sorted out now.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #932 on: June 16, 2015, 05:27:04 pm »
It's valid to claim that Shenmue is clunky, mostly dull, and repetitive... but hot damn, I love it regardless. I love getting lost in that world.

Shenmue is real life which is basically... mostly dull and repetitive.

If you want straight up action and punch bears IN DA NUTS go play Yakuza.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #933 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:46 pm »
Well I guess budget and staff won't be TOO much of a concern if PlayStation is directly involved with the game's development. It makes me wonder though, if they were always going to be involved, why PC too? Why not a straight-up PS4 exclusive? I'm absolutely not complaining about it coming to PC but I'm confused why.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #935 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:59 pm »
Whatever, a PC version means Sega's involved.

Also, the price of Shenmue is skyrocketing on Amazon. It's at 130 dollars. Might be time to cash in.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #936 on: June 16, 2015, 05:35:56 pm »
Well I guess budget and staff won't be TOO much of a concern if PlayStation is directly involved with the game's development. It makes me wonder though, if they were always going to be involved, why PC too? Why not a straight-up PS4 exclusive? I'm absolutely not complaining about it coming to PC but I'm confused why.
Sony probably does not see the PC as direct a competitor as the Xbox. After all, some of the biggest MMO's for the PC were developed by Sony. Only in recent times did they even make an attempt to port PC titles from Formerly SOE(Daybreak) to the PS4, and that was before it got spun off and sold.

Look at Grim Fandango for another example. Vita, PS4, and PC OS's but no Xbox.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #937 on: June 16, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »
Sony also funded Street Fighter 5, which is getting a PC release aswell.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #938 on: June 16, 2015, 05:37:36 pm »
This happens every time someone brings up Shenmue. Some guy comes in and is like 'Shenmue was never good, it's boring and the voice acting is bad, sailors sailors sailors etc etc'.

I feel like, yes there are a lot of weak aspects, but my god the game is so much more than the sum of it's parts.

I feel it stems from (some, not all) younger video gamers who think that to earn attention or to drive traffic to their blog or YouTube channel they need to pick apart older titles that were before their time. It really doesn't help when some of these bloggers/YouTubers don't consider looking through the lens of what games were like at the time. Then you have their committed fans who will defend their gaming icon's opinions leading to a ton of opinions based off of secondhand remarks on a third-rate website.

Offline Moody

« Reply #939 on: June 16, 2015, 05:58:47 pm »
Shenmue's got flaws, absolutely, but it has heart, and not a lot of games these days have the sort of heart and carry the sort of experience that Shenmue still does. And that's the key word: Shenmue is an experience, it takes full advantage of the capabilities of the medium like almost no other game does. And that's why people are still in love with it sixteen years later.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #940 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:31 pm »
FFS
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168473277#post168473277

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168473728#post168473728

NeoGAF is full of bitches, not surprised. Seriously, this game would never exist without Kickstarter. Besides, you pay for what you get, it's not like I'm donating money and getting nothing in return. Geez.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #941 on: June 16, 2015, 06:25:15 pm »
We'll see how far Sonys support goes... I have a feeling it wont be much more than publishing and distribution.
Made by SEGA

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #942 on: June 16, 2015, 06:26:37 pm »
I hope that includes marketing, that would be great.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #943 on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:27 pm »
FFS
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168473277#post168473277

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168473728#post168473728

I doubt they really put any cash down in the first place... A lot of butthurt MS fanboys trying to take the edge off the hype. And even if that's true it's nothing but a drop in the ocean...
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #944 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:10 pm »
We'll see how far Sonys support goes... I have a feeling it wont be much more than publishing and distribution.
Easy, its not getting a physical copy on PS4.

They got off cheap.