Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668071 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #945 on: June 16, 2015, 06:32:44 pm »
Adam Boyes (Sony guy) said their support of Shenmue 3 consist of marketing the game and "some funding".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRGlVDi3FHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m40s

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #946 on: June 16, 2015, 06:33:17 pm »
FFS
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168473277#post168473277

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=168473728#post168473728

NeoGAF is full of bitches, not surprised. Seriously, this game would never exist without Kickstarter. Besides, you pay for what you get, it's not like I'm donating money and getting nothing in return. Geez.

I can agree with people being turned off being of this approach though. Don't see why I have to fund Shenmue 3 if it was Sony's plan all along, especially when they have the funds and data to know how viable Shenmue is!

I'm glad I was there to show my support to the main man though, but I can understand people's frustration with the situation.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #947 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:25 pm »
OK, the game's funding is getting closer and closer to 3 million as we speak. Eating crow never felt so good.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #948 on: June 16, 2015, 06:48:22 pm »
Fuck are you eating crow for? Did you lose a bet? Did you WIN a bet?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #949 on: June 16, 2015, 06:49:59 pm »
I can agree with people being turned off being of this approach though. Don't see why I have to fund Shenmue 3 if it was Sony's plan all along, especially when they have the funds and data to know how viable Shenmue is!

I'm glad I was there to show my support to the main man though, but I can understand people's frustration with the situation.

I can't, it's not as if they aren't getting anything for their money... You pay for what you want, the only difference is you're paying for the game before it's developed instead of after.

Perhaps Sony are funding but maybe not enough for whatever Yu needs to realise Shenmue 3 how it needs to be. We don't know the details but I doubt Sony are putting down a full AAA budget.
Made by SEGA

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #950 on: June 16, 2015, 06:52:58 pm »
Perhaps Sony are funding but maybe not enough for whatever Yu needs to realise Shenmue 3 how it needs to be. We don't know the details but I doubt Sony are putting down a full AAA budget.
Yeah, the way Adam Boyes said it ("Some funding") makes believe they'll just help a bit on top of whatever the Kickstarter generates.  I think Suzuki and Sony should clarify all of this, otherwise I think it would hurt the Kickstarter.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #951 on: June 16, 2015, 06:56:33 pm »
Yu Suzuki in 2014 - “About Shenmue, Sega is not a problem at all. For Shenmue III, we need to define a specific budget and if I can gather enough for it, Sega will allow me to do it.” - Stole from Aki ( :) )

----

Publishers are usually announced after Kickstarter has ended. For example Mighty No.9 is being published by Deep Silver. Unlike Bloodstained and Mighty No.9, this is the original IP. I think a lot of people like to shit on SEGA, but they could have said no like Capcom and Konami did with their creators. 

I think SEGA needs a proof of concept and budget outline. Let's be honest, Yu Suzuki used to always go over budget. Especially when he moved to 3D...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:00:15 pm by George »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #952 on: June 16, 2015, 06:57:09 pm »
Something I found;

Yu Suzuki in 2014 - “About Shenmue, Sega is not a problem at all. For Shenmue III, we need to define a specific budget and if I can gather enough for it, Sega will allow me to do it.”

Makes me wonder if he's got reassurance from other investors about Shenmue III.

I can't, it's not as if they aren't getting anything for their money... You pay for what you want, the only difference is you're paying for the game before it's developed instead of after.

The thing is no one has been upfront about this. I don't care because I'm willing to throw money at Yu Suzuki but for other people who are trading their hard earned cash they'd like some honesty beforehand.

It might have made the Kickstarter go slower, no doubt about that, but people wouldn't be annoyed about this. Knowing a game is going to get funded thanks to a publisher and being told otherwise is two different things. As I said I don't mind, SEGA could do this with Outrun, Shinobi et all and I'd throw money but for other people multi-billion corporations asking for cash to fund games rub them the wrong way.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #953 on: June 16, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »
I think Adam said it best right now in that video to show that there is demand and worth the risk, it's getting people to put their money where their mouths are.  I know there were people (especially on GAF) saying that Suzuki or SEGA should just kickstart the project, and now the opportunity has presented itself.  After so long Shenmue is finally another game, and this isn't a spiritual successor like Mighty No. 9, Yooka- Laylee, or Bloodstained, it is a legitimate sequel...Sony sees this as an opportunity to bring/keep people over to their platform and help Yu Suzuki at the same time.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #954 on: June 16, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
Fuck are you eating crow for? Did you lose a bet? Did you WIN a bet?

Lost the bet. Me and a longtime friend (also a major Shenmue fan). We talked about how much money the kickstart would rake in. Shame on me for setting such a low value (3 million).

Offline Centrale

« Reply #955 on: June 16, 2015, 07:14:24 pm »
The thing is no one has been upfront about this. I don't care because I'm willing to throw money at Yu Suzuki but for other people who are trading their hard earned cash they'd like some honesty beforehand.

Everybody who's upset needs to consider for a second that what they think Kickstarter is and what they think Kickstarter should be, really doesn't have any bearing on what Kickstarter really is. If they've got some bonehead idea or some idealistic wish about how Kickstarter should or shouldn't be utilized, they need to check in with reality.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #956 on: June 16, 2015, 07:18:48 pm »
Personally now that this is a success I wouldn't mind companies opting for kickstarter for abandon or old franchises. Streets of Rage 4? Panzer Dragon? Jet Set Radio? Let's go all innnnnnnnn.

Everybody who's upset needs to consider for a second that what they think Kickstarter is and what they think Kickstarter should be, really doesn't have any bearing on what Kickstarter really is. If they've got some bonehead idea or some idealistic wish about how Kickstarter should or shouldn't be utilized, they need to check in with reality.

To be honest I don't think the Kickstarter would be a success if people were told about Sony (Possibly SEGA and Shibuya Productions too?) funding for the game. But some people are mad and they have every right to be, but true SEGA DNA fans such as us do not care for such thing, we have Shenmue 3 and that is all that matters!

(Should have tried to aim for dinner with Suzuki-san : < )

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #957 on: June 16, 2015, 07:21:26 pm »
I WISH I had the money to have dinner with Suzuki-san, even a reward to just have a beer with him at his favorite bar or something.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #958 on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:17 pm »
I WISH I had the money to have dinner with Suzuki-san, even a reward to just have a beer with him at his favorite bar or something.

I'm personally disappointed there wasn't a game of Lucky Hit as one of the rewards.

Missed opportunity.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #959 on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:35 pm »

Is his favorite bar a place where sailors hang out? /shot
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:41:35 pm by Moody »