Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 667984 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #960 on: June 16, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »
To be honest I don't think the Kickstarter would be a success if people were told about Sony (Possibly SEGA and Shibuya Productions too?) funding for the game. But some people are mad and they have every right to be, but true SEGA DNA fans such as us do not care for such thing, we have Shenmue 3 and that is all that matters!

I don't think it would have been funded in 9 hours, but I definitely think it would have exceeded its goal in a full month. Also, if people were aware that Sony's support would be contingent upon the Kickstarter's performance, I think that would have been a motivator for some people.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #961 on: June 16, 2015, 07:32:39 pm »
For the record:

The Witcher 3's development budget was $32 Million and that game looks fantastic:

"The Witcher 3 took around a 120 million PLN ($32 million) to create. On top of that, CD Projekt also had a $35 million marketing budget for The Witcher 3, putting the total amount of money spent of the game at around $67 million."

I think they should have aimed higher, did better stretch goals as well and tiers. Honestly could have gotten much more if their stretch goals weren't so meh.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #962 on: June 16, 2015, 07:39:48 pm »
Take into account that Polish wages are not that high and office space is cheap compared to their European neighbors.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #963 on: June 16, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »
Personally now that this is a success I wouldn't mind companies opting for kickstarter for abandon or old franchises. Streets of Rage 4? Panzer Dragon? Jet Set Radio? Let's go all innnnnnnnn.

To be honest I don't think the Kickstarter would be a success if people were told about Sony (Possibly SEGA and Shibuya Productions too?) funding for the game. But some people are mad and they have every right to be, but true SEGA DNA fans such as us do not care for such thing, we have Shenmue 3 and that is all that matters!

(Should have tried to aim for dinner with Suzuki-san : < )
Them holding it back till now is the scummy part about this imo. I want to give my money to my main man Yu Suzuki, not some scummy rich company that hides behind a legend to fund a project and them taking some of the honor and credit. Like some sort of hero? This news is highly disturbing and i am not happy about it. Sony desperatly wants to look good in this but it ended up making look like assholes to me. I can see through your scheme sony

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:48:13 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #964 on: June 16, 2015, 07:51:46 pm »
Them holding it back till now is the scummy part about this imo. I want to give my money to my main man Yu Suzuki, not some scummy rich company that hides behind a legend to fund a project and them taking some of the honor and credit. Like some sort of hero? This news is highly disturbing and i am not happy about it. Sony desperatly wants to look good in this but it ended up making look like assholes to me. I can see through your scheme sony

I don't think they held anything back. It hasn't been 24 hours since they announced it, and Sony explained their involvement (albiet in a vague way) in two interviews.

It would be scummy if they held off that info until the Kickstarter campaigned finished, but right now, anyone can cancel or adjust their pledges.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #965 on: June 16, 2015, 07:55:47 pm »
I don't think they held anything back. It hasn't been 24 hours since they announced it, and Sony explained their involvement (albiet in a vague way) in two interviews.

It would be scummy if they held off that info until the Kickstarter campaigned finished, but right now, anyone can cancel or adjust their pledges.

This is absolutely true.

So right now those people on GAF are more than welcome to cancel their pledges if they feel something ethically wrong about it.

Can't believe Yu Suzuki is making a comeback against all odds. First Arsene Wenger and now Yu Suzuki, the old masters making comebacks, next up I expect Jackie Chan to release his best movie yet.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #966 on: June 16, 2015, 07:58:38 pm »

Do you want Shenmue 3 at its best or not? Do you want SEGA to look at the funds raised and feel stupid for waiting so long and want a piece of the pie (hopefully by releasing 1 and 2 in HD) Do you want to help the greatest video game pioneer of all time realise his dream? Don you want to find out the end to the Shenmue Saga? If the answer is yes then you know what to do regardless of whether Sony may or may not be 'scummy.'
Made by SEGA

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #967 on: June 16, 2015, 08:08:06 pm »
The only thing keeping me back from donating at the moment is securing some funds so I can donate for $100 reward...though the latest should be end of next week.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #968 on: June 16, 2015, 08:10:14 pm »
The Kick Starter has now broken 2.8 million. Another 100k to go before we can get past those stupid subtitle stretch goals and get onto the meat... Repport System? Yes please!
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #969 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
http://www.twitch.tv/playstation/v/6249998

from minute 51.
Sony will support development with it's third party team
SEG4GES

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #970 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:59 pm »
I'm still fucked up that the game is even real. Like my brain hasn't fully comprehended the fact that Shenmue 3 is really happening. I can't get over it. I am unable to fully process this, it's like 80% processed and it's just stuck there.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #971 on: June 16, 2015, 08:22:25 pm »

Do you want Shenmue 3 at its best or not? Do you want SEGA to look at the funds raised and feel stupid for waiting so long and want a piece of the pie (hopefully by releasing 1 and 2 in HD) Do you want to help the greatest video game pioneer of all time realise his dream? Don you want to find out the end to the Shenmue Saga? If the answer is yes then you know what to do regardless of whether Sony may or may not be 'scummy.'
I want shenmue 3 but im not that desperate to just lay down all principles for it. You have to imagine that Sony and Suzuki agreed on this and than decided to present it. But think about the idea of a rich person asking you for money for assurance. In real life this would be considered disgraceful, shameless, low and laughable. Sony wants their namesake plastered on the product too much. I think there was definitly selfishness involved when they decided to aproach Yu Suzuki and making him feel all warm and comfortable.

SEGA may not be backing this, but to me Yu Suzuki IS SEGA. I want to give my money to him who I like. He shouldnt need no fucking leaches. Also the most simple point, its a kickstarter fgs. It is supposed to gather goodwill from people. Stuff like this does the opposite
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:33:58 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #972 on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:30 pm »
This is absolutely true.

So right now those people on GAF are more than welcome to cancel their pledges if they feel something ethically wrong about it.
Well, it's their money.  Can't say I'm happy about it though.   First, I don't see anything unethical about that. Secondly, I don't want the kickstarter's momentum to be slowed down just because Sony is willing to chip in with the funding (Which might be a relatively meager amount if we go by Boyes' wording).

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #973 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:01 pm »
At least it wasn't Sega that was willing to be shady about it.

No, but in seriousness, I'm much more likely to get an A level game than the
B game I was worried about last night so I'm happy.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #974 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:14 pm »
I'm still fucked up that the game is even real. Like my brain hasn't fully comprehended the fact that Shenmue 3 is really happening. I can't get over it. I am unable to fully process this, it's like 80% processed and it's just stuck there.

It didn't really even hit me until today, I was driving to my girlfriends house and suddenly bam... The dawning realisation that I'm going to get to play Shenmue 3, it's going to happen. I had this huge irremovable grin showing up at various points throughout the day.
Made by SEGA