Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673229 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #975 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:37 pm »
So its probably not gonna be the case. But what would you guys think if Shenmue 3 had Sony franchise references inside the game? For example Sony franchise capsule toys and collectables

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #976 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:34 pm »
think about the idea of a rich person asking you for money for assurance.
Like when you take a loan from the bank?
SEG4GES

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #977 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:43 pm »
I think though without Boyes/Corsi/Sony 3rd Party relations and Cerny having made not only this deal, but to present at their E3 conference, it might have not gotten the attention it has right now.  Shenmue has been requested many times, but it's also a huge risk, add to the fact that Sony suffered a bomb with Beyond: Two Souls (that being a passion project from David Cage) despite the games division being the only branch at Sony doing well right now, you can kind of see a reason for this.  Shenmue 1 and 2 being tied in legal tape doesn't help either.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #978 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:30 pm »

Shenmue 3 kickstarter made it on the BBC News website today... Pretty big stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33144515
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #979 on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:08 pm »
So its probably not gonna be the case. But what would you guys think if Shenmue 3 had Sony franchise references inside the game? For example Sony franchise capsule toys and collectables

I am interested on if they're going to bring back the gashapon and arcade games. If so, will it be a share of Sony and Sega? Just Sega? Will it stick to Sega of 1999, with only a few select franchises, or will it encompass the broadened spectrum of Sega characters? Will any new Yu Suzuki games appear?

Personally I wanna see UFO crane games make an appearance, either alongside gashapon or replacing it outright. It would be a perfect fit for Shenmue.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #980 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »
It would be cool anyway. But I would prefer Sega stuff, no doubt
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #981 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:49 pm »
Like when you take a loan from the bank?
So you're comparing Sony to banks. I guess that makes sense yes

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #982 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:29 pm »
Shenmue 3 is too happy of an announcement

Yu needs to put the dreamcast 2 in this game to even out the pain =P

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #983 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:13 pm »
So you're comparing Sony to banks then? I guess that makes sense yes
In this case I believe it does make sense. Sony is the bank, the currency being Shenmues
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #984 on: June 16, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »
Well, it's their money.  Can't say I'm happy about it though.   First, I don't see anything unethical about that. Secondly, I don't want the kickstarter's momentum to be slowed down just because Sony is willing to chip in with the funding (Which might be a relatively meager amount if we go by Boyes' wording).

Some people are just feeling that the fact Sony weren't entirely upfront about it seems a bit scammy. If it is or isn't really depends on the person.

I don't mind, I'd like SEGA to get kickstarters for Skies of Arcadia 2 and Shinobi 4 ready. My money is ready.

It would be cool anyway. But I would prefer Sega stuff, no doubt

It'd be pretty much free marketing for SEGA stuff now.

In this case I believe it does make sense. Sony is the bank, the currency being Shenmues

This example makes no sense haha.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:58:26 pm by Aki-at »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #985 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:21 pm »
People are assuming alot about this game. Doesnt say it was independent, so nothing wrong with it not being publisher backed.

I think people will complain more and more as development goes on and details emerge. Expect lots of fluff that they spoiled us with 1/2 and attention to detail to drop.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #986 on: June 16, 2015, 09:02:19 pm »
I realise that i'm overreacting a bit. But I backed the project(not the smallest amount) with the best of my intentions to support Yu Suzuki, so that plays part in why im reacting like this. Its intended for my man Suzuki

Isnt this also a first? Should this become a thing now where publishers go on kickstarter? Well sort of in this case since Sony isnt really getting the money, but its going to be part of the bigger budget at least.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #987 on: June 16, 2015, 09:06:27 pm »
you know, I'm a little curious about the usage of Unreal Engine 4.  I know it is mostly easier (at least legally) and more affordable to develop the game with it compared to spending money developing a proprietary engine, Shenmue did a lot of great stuff that is taken for granted these days but will Suzuki be able to develop what he wants to do with it?  Not like I'm asking for the Fox Engine or anything like that.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #988 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:08 pm »
We really have no idea what kind of budget Sony will be giving Yu Suzuki... We basically know almost nothing except that a game which only a day ago was little more than a myth is now a possible reality.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #989 on: June 16, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »
Your money is going to Yu NET, Sony's money is also going to the team. What's the big deal? I'm assuming support and help is coming on porting to PS4. I can see a team helping YS Net and them advertising to their fanbase.