Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 668299 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #990 on: June 16, 2015, 09:20:43 pm »
Your money is going to Yu NET, Sony's money is also going to the team. What's the big deal? I'm assuming support and help is coming on porting to PS4. I can see a team helping YS Net and them advertising to their fanbase.

Kickstarter is probably going to generate between $10 - $20 million, then whatever Sony does (The fact they're covering all the marketing is a major plus) and whoever grabs the dibs on the PC version.

If it's SEGA, you could say they got Shenmue...

*Puts on shades*

Online.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #991 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:42 pm »
Kickstarter is probably going to generate between $10 - $20 million
They would have reached 10 Million comfortably before the Sony-Funding revelation... Now, I'm not sure. I think we'll be lucky if it hits 8 Million.  Hardcore fans will pledge, other people who are mildly interested will be like "Sony is getting it funded anyway, why pledge more than $30?"

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #992 on: June 16, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »
Kickstarter is probably going to generate between $10 - $20 million,

I SERIOUSLY doubt that... In the next 24 hours funding is going to slow down considerably... I think 7 million tops and that is pushing it.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #993 on: June 16, 2015, 09:41:21 pm »
Yu Suzuki should bring back the cat and add more depth. Kickstarter people love cats.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens?ref=category_most_funded

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #994 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »
They would have reached 10 Million comfortably before the Sony-Funding revelation... Now, I'm not sure. I think we'll be lucky if it hits 8 Million.  Hardcore fans will pledge, other people who are mildly interested will be like "Sony is getting it funded anyway, why pledge more than $30?"

I SERIOUSLY doubt that... In the next 24 hours funding is going to slow down considerably... I think 7 million tops and that is pushing it.

Ye of little faith, I did not go running around this forum with Mang as a raving lunatic just so we could hit negative ville so quickly. Positive thoughts!

Personally I don't see why $10 million is that much of a stretch. The only issue is the Kickstarter isn't the best I've ever seen.  In fact it's quite amateurish.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #995 on: June 16, 2015, 09:52:18 pm »
Yu Suzuki should bring back the cat and add more depth. Kickstarter people love cats.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens?ref=category_most_funded

Optional sidequest where Ryo and Shenhua either go back to Yokosuuka (god I can never remember how that's spelled) and adopt the cat by Ryo's house, or they just adopt a cat in their town. They take this cat on all their journeys and it fits into the rapport system.

Oh yeah, this can work.

Offline Pao

« Reply #996 on: June 16, 2015, 10:14:07 pm »
I know it's early WIP, but man, Ryo's face is bothering me.  I hope Ys.net can still use old Shenmue assets.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #997 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:31 pm »
DAY 1 IS OVER! HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF DAY 1

backers

$2,835,256 
 pledged of $2,000,000 goal

Very impressive!

So now let's look at the mentioned stretch goal locations...

First of all, Let's check out Bailu Village mentioned as Shenhuas home in Shenmue 2.

Bailu

Bailu Ancient Village, situated at the junction of Gan County, Xingguo County and Wan'an County, is under the jurisdiction of Bailu Town of Gan County and about 70 km away from downtown Ganzhou. The ancient village, half-moon-shaped, covers an area of 0.92 square kilometers. There are more than 500 households of more than 2,000 people at the village and most of them are surnamed Zhong.

Bailu Village itself, it aint a looker.

Madame Wang's Ancestral Temple in Bailu:

Baisha village

Baisha is a mountain village where everyone damn well seems to love wearing blue clothes...

Still a part of the Lijiang UNESCO World Heritage Site, Baisha is far enough removed that only a few tourists on bikes wander down its sleepy, dusty lanes. The Naxi first settled in Baisha centuries ago, well before Kublai Khan united the region with the rest of China in 1271, and it was the original home of the ruling Mu family before its move to nearby Lijiang. Today, Naxi women cheerfully sell vegetables on well-worn steps while locals pick up rice and other staples at the corner store. It is a living, breathing place, seemingly unchanged with the passing of time (and influx of tourists to the region).

Baisha’s two main streets are lined with an array of quiet shops that are decidedly less touristy than what we found in Lijiang. Local artisans can be seen hammering copper sheets into bowls and dying yards of traditional batik fabric left to dry in the sun. Hand-painted souvenir t-shirts feature Tibetan script and Dongba characters, the hieroglyphic Naxi language which also adorns a few of the walls. In one shop, we watched a man carefully inscribe a shirt with a Tibetan prayer for peace. A few clothing stores feature unique pieces such as linen dresses with embroidered trim and softly woven sets of cold-weather accessories suited for the mountain climate. Along the street, tables are covered with a mix of mass-produced items and antiques that look like they survived the Cultural Revolution buried in someone’s backyard.

More info:
http://www.ferretingoutthefun.com/2013/05/13/baisha-village-medicine-man/

One of the two main streets:

Babes in blue

Shit chattin' with the m8's just a bit of banter innit:

The local Tesco Express:

Dragon Mirrors are just tourist tat out here, 5 for a dollar.

Jeff rockin' some sick Nikes.

I found NOTHING on Choubu... Google doesn't think it exists.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:28:18 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Pao

« Reply #998 on: June 16, 2015, 10:32:31 pm »
What do you guys think about this "Instant Mastery" thing Suzuki talked about in the KS video?  I believe it gives of an idea about the type of combat system we might see in Shenmue 3, something more simple perhaps? I would've been great if they maintained the VF-esque combat system...

Yes yes, I know I'm being negative,  last negative post, I swear! (At least, for a while!)

Offline Moody

« Reply #999 on: June 16, 2015, 10:47:16 pm »
I don't understand the deal with instant mastery. It just sounds like the move scrolls you got at various points in Shenmue 2. You mastered those instantly and could start using them in battle immediately. Dunno why it's a big deal, it's already in the series.

Also, Sharky, VERY good collection of info you got there! I'm guessing Baisha will be our Wan Chai or Yokuuska this time around. We saw a bit of Bailu Village at the end of Shenmue 2, before entering Guilin Forest, didn't we?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:49:01 pm by Moody »

Offline Mengels7

« Reply #1000 on: June 16, 2015, 11:26:51 pm »
I know it's early WIP, but man, Ryo's face is bothering me.  I hope Ys.net can still use old Shenmue assets.

I wholeheartedly agree. Yuck. I'll take the game in whatever capacity they provide it to me in, don't get me wrong, but this looks ugly as hell right now.

Offline Pao

« Reply #1001 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:06 pm »
I don't understand the deal with instant mastery. It just sounds like the move scrolls you got at various points in Shenmue 2. You mastered those instantly and could start using them in battle immediately. Dunno why it's a big deal, it's already in the series.
Maybe means you won't need to practice them. Like, the combat system doesn't require practice.  Imagine a string of contextual moves performed by a single button press like the Arkham games, learning new moves opens new contextual possibilities. 

Goddam, that sounds dreadful. I'm being so paranoid about this game. :P

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #1002 on: June 16, 2015, 11:52:28 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree. Yuck. I'll take the game in whatever capacity they provide it to me in, don't get me wrong, but this looks ugly as hell right now.

I might just be way behind the times, but aside from ryo, the game looked fine. Ryo is admittedly dreadful.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1003 on: June 17, 2015, 12:11:53 am »
The faces look like fan made models. Not being a dick, it doesn't look like the DC ones at all.

Shenmue Passport models (higher res than in-game) are way better looking:

If you look at the stretch goals, which are very expensive (500k to edit a video on what happen in 1/2), it fades in the bottom. Don't be surprised if more goals are announced with more stuff.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1004 on: June 17, 2015, 02:46:28 am »
Going with what we know now, I suspect the KS clip was just something throw together by Suzuki's team quickly. If they reached the target, Sony will help them develop it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:16:48 am by Tad »