Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 667783 times)

Offline batfax

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1005 on: June 17, 2015, 02:59:57 am »
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock into the models and graphics and whatnot available right now. It only exists to get the point across. Perhaps we'll see something more substantial as time goes on. After all, the Kickstarter JUST started.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1006 on: June 17, 2015, 03:14:44 am »
A lot of people didn't like the graphics and voice-acting from that Kickstarter video, but not many people seem to understand that this was a presentation / pitch video. I expect the game to look a whole lot better.

As a matter of fact, this was a far more modest approach than what we normally see. Watch Dogs? Aliens: CM? Ya know, tech demos made on High-End PCs that would be nearly impossible to do on actual home consoles?

Anyway, the game's kickstarter is on a slow drip right now, but another stretch goal is being cleared even as we speak.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1007 on: June 17, 2015, 03:16:29 am »
Honestly should have just showed artwork of the game instead of showing those graphics. That would have been my opinion on the whole thing.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1008 on: June 17, 2015, 03:18:44 am »
Honestly should have just showed artwork of the game instead of showing those graphics. That would have been my opinion on the whole thing.

I'd be okay either way, but I'm curious as to why they didn't just use the original models. Less work, and as modders have shown, they still look great.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1009 on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:24 am »
Regardless of what we feel about Yu's approach to crowdfunding, it worked. The money's pouring in.

Anyway, here's a new update from the KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1266077

An interview from another big fan.

Offline George

« Reply #1010 on: June 17, 2015, 03:28:30 am »
Yeah that was going to be my next comment but the forum erased it all. The issue is we don't know much about the project. They haven't clarified if those are just 'in-placed' assets. I read their updates on their kickstarter and they are more busy sharing what other people think of Shenmue than clarifying obvious stuff like this.

So, why didn't they use the in-game assets? Does this mean that maybe they aren't allowed to use stuff that is funded with SEGA's money? If so that would mean no classic AM2 arcades, no SEGA toy capsules and so on.

I just think they are being very secretive. They are also using Shenmue fansites to spread the word, which is smart. Its just weird that one of them is the fansite that openly posts hateful messages on all the SEGA facebook posts.

http://shenmue.link/ <--- all the way on the bottom.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1011 on: June 17, 2015, 03:29:53 am »
Despite so many announcements being made at E3, Shenmue seems to have dominated it all really. Can't wait to see what how this turns out.

Offline Tad

« Reply #1012 on: June 17, 2015, 03:33:50 am »
Yeah that was going to be my next comment but the forum erased it all. The issue is we don't know much about the project. They haven't clarified if those are just 'in-placed' assets. I read their updates on their kickstarter and they are more busy sharing what other people think of Shenmue than clarifying obvious stuff like this.

So, why didn't they use the in-game assets? Does this mean that maybe they aren't allowed to use stuff that is funded with SEGA's money? If so that would mean no classic AM2 arcades, no SEGA toy capsules and so on.

I just think they are being very secretive. They are also using Shenmue fansites to spread the word, which is smart. Its just weird that one of them is the fansite that openly posts hateful messages on all the SEGA facebook posts.

http://shenmue.link/ <--- all the way on the bottom.

Can't see why Sega wouldn't allow Yu Suzuki to use the SEGA name, but it might not even call for it considering where Shenmue was heading towards the end. Can't imagine many Afterburner machines being in the rural setting.

As for the hateful messages...I guess the logic there is they care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't get upset.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1013 on: June 17, 2015, 03:35:09 am »
And another Stretch Goal has been sucessfully cleared.

Only two more stretch goals to clear. I think those are gonna be tough.

Offline George

« Reply #1014 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:11 am »
Can't see why Sega wouldn't allow Yu Suzuki to use the SEGA name, but it might not even call for it considering where Shenmue was heading towards the end. Can't imagine many Afterburner machines being in the rural setting.

As for the hateful messages...I guess the logic there is they care. If they didn't care, they wouldn't get upset.

Max_Cady: Their going to continue to add extended goals. Those are nothing. Watch, they where just playing it safe because they didn't know what to expect.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #1015 on: June 17, 2015, 04:00:51 am »
Regardless of what we feel about Yu's approach to crowdfunding, it worked. The money's pouring in

That will happen at the start, lets see how the money keeps on flowing in during the next year or 2 years in becasue there's no way really Shenmue III can be done in a year . I'm glad its looks like we're getting a Shenmue III but then worry it be another Duke Nukem Forever letdown where the final game was done and shipped on the cheap . Yu Suzuki and Shenmue don't deserve that at all . Imo forget the likes of Miyamoto-san, Mikami-san. Yu Suzuki is the best game developer there's ever been

Really... I'll be happy if this Kickstarter gets some 40 to 50 million dollars in . Then Yu and his Team can really make a Shenmue III that can just about live up to the 1st two games . Thought I really wish SEGA AM#2 and the Yakzua team was making this along with Yu Suzuki that would be my dream ticket

[/size]Honestly should have just showed artwork of the game instead of showing those graphics[/color]
[/size]

Yeah, if this was April most would have rubbished that as a lame April Fools as the animation and art on the characters was so bad . Its a shame Yu Suzuki was reduced to a poor tech demo to get funding, but it looks like he'll do anything to make Shenmue III . Just hope now he can get some serious funding and manpower to make the Shenmue III he really wants to make.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #1016 on: June 17, 2015, 04:45:59 am »
How many chapters did Shenmue 1 & 2 include? And how many chapters are left for shenmue 3? Just wondering how much work they have to do

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1017 on: June 17, 2015, 05:05:06 am »
How many chapters did Shenmue 1 & 2 include? And how many chapters are left for shenmue 3? Just wondering how much work they have to do

I think Shenmue is just chapter 1, Shenmue 2 is chapters 3,4,5.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1018 on: June 17, 2015, 05:21:25 am »
What he said. 

Shenmue 1 was basically a stretched-out single chapter. Shenmue 2 was basically Chapter 2,3 and 4.

Chapter 1: Yokosuka
Chapter 2: Hong Kong
Chapter 3: Kowloon
Chapter 4: Guilin

If every town is mostly a chapter. Then I'd wager they'll be 3 chapters. We've always speculated that Mainland China was going to be the next major location in Ryo's quest.

Now exactly how many chapters they have left? I have no friggin' idea. I've heard so many contradictory statements 'bout how long the game is.

Offline George

« Reply #1019 on: June 17, 2015, 05:58:28 am »
Well, here is the concept art for the Virtua Fighter RPG chapters. Gives you a hint at what his original vision was: