Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673413 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1050 on: June 17, 2015, 10:28:24 am »
Fresh from Famitsu:

Finally, Yu Suzuki shared more on ideas he has for Shenmure III’s QTE (Quick Time Event) system.

“I’d like to present a new QTE. Something elaborate, yet easily playable by just about anyone,” says Suzuki. “Instead of simply winning by pressing buttons in a timely manner, I’d like to make something that will have people win fights by making correct judgements.”

Famitsu then ask what kind of open world one can expect to see in Shenmue III.

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” says Suzuki. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d  be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them.”

He continues, “For example, we could set a parameter for Ling Shen Hua, then we could have it change her attitude depending on the conversations, or the way one proceeds through quests. Of course, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be an open world game. A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city.”

Next, they ask about their target amount of funds from Kickstarter  (which, by the way, is currently over $2.9 million as of this article).

“200 million yen (around $2 million) for starters,” responds Suzuki. “That said, 200 million yen is the minimum required amount in order to make the game. If we happen to collect more funds, then we’ll add more things that we’ve been wanting to add to it.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/yu-suzuki-wants-to-introduce-a-new-qte-system-for-shenmue-3/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #1051 on: June 17, 2015, 10:40:41 am »
Sounds a lot like Alpha Protocol with the character interaction.

Also, I think Mademan will be disappointed with the fighting system. I think VF-style combat is being replaced with something else.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1052 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41:51 am »
I'm not talking about far-fetched, I'm talking about just plain lazy or bad writing. I guess the tone of the game makes it okay for the most part, since it's really silly and outrageous though.

As I said, I love the games and the characters regardless, and I feel most of the time the plot fits, but I also don't think I would ever describe it as particularly good.

What are you expecting from the gameplay of Shenmue III? I'm already expecting the fighting to be gutted really badly, unfortuantely. If they keep at least the exploration and the QTEs good it'll go a long way.

Do you feel The Dark Knight falls apart in its third act cause shit goes super silly then. I would say  certain elements is bad but Yakuza is head and shoulders over Shenmue when it comes to narrative. I don't see how that is something controversial!

You're going to lose it when Shenmue goes all Dragonball Z on us.

I'm hoping the fighting system is still good. I'd be absolutely shattered if it's just an Arkham ripoff.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1053 on: June 17, 2015, 10:45:41 am »
Sounds a lot like Alpha Protocol with the character interaction.

Also, I think Mademan will be disappointed with the fighting system. I think VF-style combat is being replaced with something else.

That's what I'm worried about. I think it will keep at least the basis, being Punch, Kick, Guard, Throw, but it might be slightly different. I want to have faith that Yu Suzuki will have something good in mind. Especialyl knowing how important VF is to this series.

Thanks for posting that interview Pao! I really like the idea of what he has planned for QTE. I wonder what he's looking at? Maybe you'll have more options instead of just 'Hit A', it might be a flash to say 'Do Something!' and you need to press the corresponding button and make the choice.

IE: Soemone is swinging a bat at you, you hit 'Down' to duck it. Ahead is an obstacle, you hit 'A' to jump it. There is no prompt, but you choose the button accordingly. I would like that.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1054 on: June 17, 2015, 10:49:20 am »
You're going to lose it when Shenmue goes all Dragonball Z on us.
No, I really won't because I've been expecting it for so long, and the game has been easing us into it already. My favourite part of Shenmue is in Shenmue II where the old man in the park tells you to 'cover the ground with leaves' by hitting the tree.
After hitting it repeatedly with all his strength, he finally get's enough to progress. The old man then just walks up to the tree and gently touches it, causing the tree to violently shake harder than anything Ryo could do. Ryo left dumbstruck while the leaves fall is my favourite part of the game, and the first part that hints at something 'supernatural' happening.

I'm actually really excited to see where it goes! :D

As for Yakuza, let's take that offline, because I think we are talking about different things. As I said, don't think I'm trying to bash the games too much, I do love the series and cannot wait for 5.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #1055 on: June 17, 2015, 10:51:32 am »
I think it's just a bad model.

What specifically is "bad" about it? It doesn't "look right?" It doesn't look like a person? It looks too much like a fake person? A bad action figure? Is he not attractive enough? I sure wouldn't hit that.

They haven't animated his face yet, which is why his expression looks derpy to me.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1056 on: June 17, 2015, 10:54:55 am »
As for Yakuza, let's take that offline, because I think we are talking about different things. As I said, don't think I'm trying to bash the games too much, I do love the series and cannot wait for 5.

Actually my point was less to do with Yakuza and realism and more to do with the fact giving characters super powers usually ends up with even more deus ex moments. Now Lan Di can just teleport away just before Ryo is about to land the final blow.

I'm just amazed you think Shenmue had a decent plot. Pretty much most games have a better storyline than Shenmue. Narrative was probably Shenmue weakest area (obviously too, the world building took precedence. )

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1057 on: June 17, 2015, 11:10:18 am »
Actually my point was less to do with Yakuza and realism and more to do with the fact giving characters super powers usually ends up with even more deus ex moments. Now Lan Di can just teleport away just before Ryo is about to land the final blow.

I'm just amazed you think Shenmue had a decent plot. Pretty much most games have a better storyline than Shenmue. Narrative was probably Shenmue weakest area (obviously too, the world building took precedence. )

Power creep is a concern, but I figure if the story had a defined beginning and end it's less likely to happen rather than cape comics and the like where they just kind of make it up as they go.

I agree Shenmue's plot isn't great, but I like the sense of adventure the series had. I feel like it has a strong sense of back-story and a greater world which makes up for the weak plot if that makes sense.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1058 on: June 17, 2015, 11:11:24 am »
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1059 on: June 17, 2015, 11:14:17 am »
If the combat changes, you won't be hearing any complaints from me. Man, I am terrible at fighting games, all my fights in Shenmue just boil down to "mash buttons and pray." I think an Arkham style fighting system would fit well, but only after a certain point, to show how much Ryo's skill has grown. He would also need a very tiny health bar and go down in only a few hits.

Whatever new QTE's there are, I hope they ditch the "combinations" from Shenmue II. Those were the reason I had to play the final boss eight times...

I think I figured out why Ryo's model looks off: it actually resembles his concept art. His face and general build is MUCH thinner in the presentation than it was in the old games, and looking at that one piece of art that Suzuki always shows off, it reminds me a lot of that. Still hope we go back to the old way, but it makes a bit more sense now (even the Saturn model looked thinner than his Dreamcast model).

We're so close to $3 million I can taste it...

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1060 on: June 17, 2015, 11:15:18 am »
Power creep is a concern, but I figure if the story had a defined beginning and end it's less likely to happen rather than cape comics and the like where they just kind of make it up as they go.

I agree Shenmue's plot isn't great, but I like the sense of adventure the series had. I feel like it has a strong sense of back-story and a greater world which makes up for the weak plot if that makes sense.

I agree with that, just unless Shenmue has a professional writer on board I am going to worry for the story. But as a mention the plot didn't really matter when it was more about the world rather than the core storyline.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1061 on: June 17, 2015, 11:17:35 am »

Hmm, I'd say Shenmue's plot is rather basic, but it's the cultures it brings and world that it excels in. I can't say Yakuza has a even remotely good plot though if we're bringing it up. It's just nonsense created because that goes on and on.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1062 on: June 17, 2015, 11:17:56 am »
What specifically is "bad" about it? It doesn't "look right?" It doesn't look like a person? It looks too much like a fake person? A bad action figure? Is he not attractive enough? I sure wouldn't hit that.

They haven't animated his face yet, which is why his expression looks derpy to me.

Dude it's a bad model... The facial features are wrong, the hair and skin colours are off. It's just not Ryo Hazuki that we know and love, it looks like an imitation made in another games character creator. I'm hoping beyond hope the character model is a stand in.
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1063 on: June 17, 2015, 11:20:22 am »
How can Shenmue's plot be bad when we have such key, series-defining moments as Asian Smeagle eating your Hong Kong tickets in the middle of an arcade?

In all seriousness, I actually do like the plot a lot. It hits that very fine spot between over-the-top bullshit and actual plausibility. Helps that the acting is suitably cheesy across the board.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:23:22 am by Moody »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1064 on: June 17, 2015, 11:24:02 am »

We almost at 3 million!