Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 673380 times)

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1065 on: June 17, 2015, 11:25:29 am »
Just reached 3 million!  ;-D

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1066 on: June 17, 2015, 11:26:46 am »

[insert fitting song lyrics or video]

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1067 on: June 17, 2015, 11:27:31 am »
Another incredible milestone! Whoooo!

Awww beaten!
Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1068 on: June 17, 2015, 11:28:29 am »

Man!

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #1069 on: June 17, 2015, 11:30:07 am »
How can Shenmue's plot be bad when we have such key, series-defining moments as Asian Smeagle eating your Hong Kong tickets in the middle of an arcade?

It was his precious to be fair ;)

About the fighting system...

Things will change in this game. Budget constraints and just general refinement will be needed. Things that didn't quite work dropped etc.

At its heart, I've always seen Shenmue as adventure game like the old point 'n' click games only, the evolution of them.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1070 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:05 am »
Polygon published an article and interview on the game's budget concerns, might be worth a look:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/8795017/shenmue-on-a-budget

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #1071 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:14 am »
Dude it's a bad model... The facial features are wrong, the hair and skin colours are off. It's just not Ryo Hazuki that we know and love, it looks like an imitation made in another games character creator. I'm hoping beyond hope the character model is a stand in.

I'm not trying to defend the model, btw. I'm just trying to get people to elaborate on what they don't like about it beyond "shit sucks, fuck it."

I'm also trying to figure out why I don't like it, and analyzing it based on what I know about Unreal technology, modern game art pipelines, and character modelling/sculpting.

Dropping the original models and textures into Unreal would make them look like garbage as well.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1072 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:07 am »
Hmm, I'd say Shenmue's plot is rather basic, but it's the cultures it brings and world that it excels in. I can't say Yakuza has a even remotely good plot though if we're bringing it up. It's just nonsense created because that goes on and on.

I'd say it's plot is very macho soap operish, like you're reading a chapter of JoJo. It's narrative is boosted because it's helped it has some really good characters so when one finally hits the bucket it does leave an impact. Honestly I'd say it's above Shenmue because it's narrative beats are just stronger.

I wouldn't call all of the Yakuza games nonsense for the sake of nonsense. The first two are the best though thanks to Hase Seishu writing them nut the biggest problem is Nagoshi always gets involved in the last chapters, the climaxes are almost always good but things do tend to go a bit mental in them.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1073 on: June 17, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
If the combat changes, you won't be hearing any complaints from me. Man, I am terrible at fighting games, all my fights in Shenmue just boil down to "mash buttons and pray." I think an Arkham style fighting system would fit well, but only after a certain point, to show how much Ryo's skill has grown. He would also need a very tiny health bar and go down in only a few hits.

I really don't think they need to make it much simpler, you could win fights in Shenmue with the most basic strikes and throws. I do hope they don't do Batman style combat (as much as I liked those games, it doesn't fit Shenmue).
I agree with that, just unless Shenmue has a professional writer on board I am going to worry for the story. But as a mention the plot didn't really matter when it was more about the world rather than the core storyline.

They have the original games writer on board who has experience in film and TV apparently?
How can Shenmue's plot be bad when we have such key, series-defining moments as Asian Smeagle eating your Hong Kong tickets in the middle of an arcade?

In all seriousness, I actually do like the plot a lot. It hits that very fine spot between over-the-top bullshit and actual plausibility. Helps that the acting is suitably cheesy across the board.

Haha, I actually really liked that scene! Imagine some dude just straight up ate your fucking plane ticket. It impressed 13 year old Made Man anyway.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #1074 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:18 pm »
Polygon published an article and interview on the game's budget concerns, might be worth a look:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/8795017/shenmue-on-a-budget
Sorry Moody, but nothing from Polygon is worth taking a look at.
They are Kotaku, except even more pretentious.
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1075 on: June 17, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »
They have the original games writer on board who has experience in film and TV apparently?

That's the problem. Have you seen the guy's credits? :p

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1076 on: June 17, 2015, 12:09:41 pm »
I'm not trying to defend the model, btw. I'm just trying to get people to elaborate on what they don't like about it beyond "shit sucks, fuck it."

I'm also trying to figure out why I don't like it, and analyzing it based on what I know about Unreal technology, modern game art pipelines, and character modelling/sculpting.

Dropping the original models and textures into Unreal would make them look like garbage as well.

Simply put, it doesn't look like Ryo Hazuki. The facial features are wrong (Even taking into account the lighting and shadowing.)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1077 on: June 17, 2015, 12:12:39 pm »
Alot of Shenmue staff never worked on videogames...game development staff was either arcade conversion staff which left Sega (Tak Hirai was the wizard to bring VF2 to Saturn) and actual arcade staff that are still at Sega doing arcade stuff.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #1078 on: June 17, 2015, 12:14:35 pm »
Though Suzuki said that despite the evolution of open world game design since Shenmue 1 and 2 shipped, he doesn’t have any plans to alter the way Shenmue 3 will play to keep up with the times, aiming for a feel similar to the original games.

Good news to fans, might confuse new players though.

Simply put, it doesn't look like Ryo Hazuki. The facial features are wrong (Even taking into account the lighting and shadowing.)

Correct, he looks more like a person now and not a cartoon character.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #1079 on: June 17, 2015, 12:20:20 pm »
Correct, he looks more like a person now and not a cartoon character.
That's not necessarily a good thing.  (I'd also argue he doesn't look more human than DC Ryo).