Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 674209 times)

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!
« Reply #1110 on: June 17, 2015, 02:34:40 pm »
Obviously the arcade games will be playable in his dream sequences.  8)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #1111 on: June 17, 2015, 02:36:35 pm »
How about Periscope. David Rosen needs some respect

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1112 on: June 17, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »
Don't forget this game is funded by Sony, not Sega.

He'll be playing Gran Turismo on a PSX.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #1113 on: June 17, 2015, 02:49:03 pm »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #1114 on: June 17, 2015, 03:01:39 pm »
Suzuki looked so confused in the beginning haha.

ALSO NEW OUTRAGE FOUND SHENMUE FUNDED BY TAX DODGERS!

Don't forget this game is funded by Sony, not Sega.

He'll be playing Gran Turismo on a PSX.

And just before you're about to complete a lap the game takes control and forces Ryo to turn off the game, exclaiming how shit it is compared to Daytona.

For some reason I got Mega Drive mixed up with Master System...did Outrun even come out on that?

In the Shenmue reality the Mega Drive is 2 times more powerful and can play a arcade perfect Outrun game.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #1115 on: June 17, 2015, 03:06:05 pm »
Yu Suzuki realized hes made a huge mistake, now he has to hang out with douchebags and pretend hes enjoying himself.
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1116 on: June 17, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »
I love how Yu Suzuki just looks like he's having such a good time wherever he is right now.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1117 on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:21 pm »
And just before you're about to complete a lap the game takes control and forces Ryo to turn off the game, exclaiming how shit it is compared to Daytona.

Gran Turismo had better characterisation and plot than Daytona though.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #1118 on: June 17, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »
But Outrun 2 had blue skies...

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1119 on: June 17, 2015, 03:26:53 pm »

Plotline?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gran Turismo plots are pretty laughably bad if I'm to be honest. Car crashes, faulty engines, long lost twin gearboxes, etc. I still love the games and they have fun plots, but oh my god it's the dumbest shit ever. I guess that's part of the idea though. I think you described it as a soap opera for jocks (that isn't pro hamilton)

Characterisation I'll give you though.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #1120 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:47 pm »
Plotline?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gran Turismo plots are pretty laughably bad if I'm to be honest. Car crashes, faulty engines, long lost twin gearboxes, etc. I still love the games and they have fun plots, but oh my god it's the dumbest shit ever. I guess that's part of the idea though. I think you described it as a soap opera for jocks (that isn't pro hamilton)

Characterisation I'll give you though.

Do you feel 'Senna' falls apart in its third act cause shit goes super silly then. I would say  certain elements is bad but Gran Turismo is engine and gearbox over Outrun when it comes to narrative. I don't see how that is something controversial!

You're going to lose it when Outrun goes all Sailor Moon on us.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #1121 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »
Do you feel 'Senna' falls apart in its third act cause shit goes super silly then. I would say  certain elements is bad but Gran Turismo is engine and gearbox over Outrun when it comes to narrative. I don't see how that is something controversial!

You're going to lose it when Outrun goes all Sailor Moon on us.

No, I really won't because I've been expecting it for so long, and the game has been easing us into it already. My favourite part of Outrun is in Outrun II where the girlfriend in the park tells you to 'cover the ground with oil' by breaking the engine.
After hitting it repeatedly with all his strength, he finally get's enough to progress. The girlfriend then just walks up to the engine and gently touches it, causing the engine to violently trev harder than anything the driver could do. the driver left dumbstruck while the oil fall is my favourite part of the game, and the first part that hints at something 'magical' happening.

I'm actually really excited to see where it goes! :D

As for Gran Turismo, let's take that offline, because I think we are talking about different things. As I said, don't think I'm trying to bash the games too much, I do love the series and cannot wait for 6.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #1122 on: June 17, 2015, 03:37:52 pm »

For some reason I got Mega Drive mixed up with Master System...did Outrun even come out on that?

It did. It's quite a nice 8-bit conversion, considering the Master System's capabilities. Apparently Yuji Naka worked on it.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #1123 on: June 17, 2015, 03:48:37 pm »
Polygon published an article and interview on the game's budget concerns, might be worth a look:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/8795017/shenmue-on-a-budget

Interesting article but doesn't tell us anything that we haven't known or had our suspiscions about. Yooka Laylee and Bloodstained devs already had secured some financial backing. I have no doubt that Yu Suzuki has his sources as well.
The one major fact that Polygon points out that I agree very much: Sandbox games were still very new at that time, so it's no surprise that it cost so much to make. But nowadays it's a fairly common genre, produced at a considerably lower cost than before.

Take Sleeping Dogs, take any of Rockstar's non-GTA sandbox games, take Saint's Row. I doubt any of them cost as much as the original Shenmue did (and I assume the budget was for the whole saga, not just one game).

To say that Shenmue 3 will be a much smaller world, does not strike me as shocking or troublesome in the least. Because when you atually look at both games in terms of size:

-Shenmue has the Hazuki residence, the neighbourhood, the town and the harbor;
-Shenmue 2 is larger since you have the Abeerdeen area, the various quarters and the top, Kowloon which is actually smaller, but feels bigger because of interior of several buildings and Guilin, though most of it is linear;

And most important of all, unlike the characters in other sandbox games, Ryo walks from place to place, if he drove a car or even a bike during most of his adventure, you would be surprised as to how small it is. The fact that you spend the time walking around makes the world seem larger.

So yes, the claims that Shenmue could be made with a smaller budget don't strike me as troublesome. But there is one thing that I need to know for sure and it's how you will control Ryo in his adventure.

D-pads are barely used anymore. You'd control Ryo with the D-pad, stiff, rigid but precise. You make him loom around with the analog stick. I'm curious to see how players will control Ryo with dual analog sticks and I imagine it's because of that that the fighting system is going to undergo some major change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:51:57 pm by max_cady »

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #1124 on: June 17, 2015, 03:53:46 pm »
Call me crazy, but I think Shenmue 3's success might actually hinge on there being HD re-releases. You'll notice a lot of games, when a considerable amount of time has passed since the previous game, there'll usually be some form of re-release these days, whether already happened or going to happen. God of War, Gears of War, Banjo-Kazooie, Sly Cooper, Halo, just to name a few. People who've never played the series, or haven't played the series in a while, are usually pretty anxious to try the old games out, but may not have access to the consoles or the games are expensive/rare.

Shenmue falls into both categories now, both original games have risen so dramatically in price that it's almost unbelievable. Even with recap shorts, people are going to want to finally try out Shenmue 1+2 and a re-release would be the perfect way of doing it, otherwise with a series' story like this, people are going to be apprehensive jumping into the brand new game not having played the originals.